HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2010, 12:05 PM
chronic in training
L.A. beautiful san fernando valley
Joined Nov 2008
1,830 Posts
Question
nimh charging/discharging quesing Battman B6 (accucel 6 clone)

Sorry to hassle everyone for questions.

this charger didnt come with a temp probe.. I plan to purchase one for it.
I picked up some ultralast green batts from walmart... 2100 mah capacity
http://www.ultralastgreen.com/

I tried to slow charge (.1 amps these but didn't know the timer was on)

will this hurt the break in at all.?

I know heat is the enemy... will overcharging at this slowest rate hurt these if left on too long?

Setting Recommendations/ Questions help please

I got the timer off...what and how do I set the peak detection for NIMH to?
is it by volts? mah? what does the millivolt setting do? Sorry I am just kinda lost on this..and don't want to screw up these new batteries...I am 45 pages into the turnigy accucel 6 thread but still can't quite figure it out ..sorry

thanks
grfcon is offline Find More Posts by grfcon
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2010, 01:16 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,679 Posts
On that and similar chargers charging NIMH batteries is controlled by current, not voltage.

If you have the current set to < C/.3 (or .7 Amps (700 mAh) on the 2100 mAh battery) the peak detection probably won't work and you'll need to set the timer for about 14 hours. Also, the current is so low it probably won't heat the batteries at all.

Above C/.3 peak detection will come into play and you'll also need to watch the temperature.

For setting the peak detection for NIMH, just use the DEFAULT setting.
If I understand your question about the millivolt setting, that's the amount of voltage drop during charge that will cause the peak detection to cut off charging. The DEFAULT setting for NIMH batteries is 7 millivolts. You can set it lower (might cut off the charger too soon due to false readings), or higher (might allow the charger to overcharge the battery by not sensing the voltage drop at all), so be careful when changing this setting.

Bill
Sir Raleigh is offline Find More Posts by Sir Raleigh
Last edited by Sir Raleigh; Mar 08, 2010 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Corrected NiMH peak detection Default from 0.7 millivolts to 7 millivolts.
Old Mar 08, 2010, 02:11 PM
chronic in training
Joined Nov 2008
1,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Raleigh View Post
On that and similar chargers charging NIMH batteries is controlled by current, not voltage.

If you have the current set to < C/.3 (or .7 Amps (700 mAh) on the 2100 mAh battery) the peak detection probably won't work and you'll need to set the timer for about 14 hours. Also, the current is so low it probably won't heat the batteries at all.

Above C/.3 peak detection will come into play and you'll also need to watch the temperature.

For setting the peak detection for NIMH, just use the DEFAULT setting.
If I understand your question about the millivolt setting, that's the amount of voltage drop during charge that will cause the peak detection to cut off charging. The DEFAULT setting for NIMH batteries is 0.7 millivolts. You can set it lower (might cut off the charger too soon due to false readings), or higher (might allow the charger to overcharge the battery by not sensing the voltage drop at all), so be careful when changing this setting.

Bill

thanks Bill

I had heard charging at .1 amps was good for fomation charging to balance out a nimh pack as at this rate it won't hurt a stronger cell much if the pack is out of balance....
how does this millivolt function work?... does it measure a bad cell? what causes the voltage drop during charging? or is this a function of the software as one gets close to peak voltage? what is the Default voltage setting 1.2/cell? I had heard this can be reset to as high at 1.45/cell

have you used this charger for cycling? would you set cutoff voltage at 8.0volts or 7.2? assume .3 amp discharge? and do you recommend any particular wait time btwn cycles to dissipate heat buildup?

thanks
Old Mar 08, 2010, 02:57 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grfcon View Post
thanks Bill

I had heard charging at .1 amps was good for fomation charging to balance out a nimh pack as at this rate it won't hurt a stronger cell much if the pack is out of balance....
This is correct. Actually charging at or below C/.3 is okay for a forming/balancing charge.

Quote:
how does this millivolt function work?...
As the battery reaches full charge the battery will begin to heat up and the voltage will begin to drop off a slight amount. This voltage drop is sensed by the peak detection circuit and when it drops off by the amount of the peak detection setting (7 millivolts DEFAULT) the charger is turned off. This is assuming a charge rate at or greater than C/.5, or half the battery's capacity.

Quote:
does it measure a bad cell?
No, there's no way to detect a bad cell in Nixx chemistry. You'll have to check each cell individually with a voltmeter.

Quote:
what causes the voltage drop during charging? or is this a function of the software as one gets close to peak voltage?
The voltage drop is caused by the battery chemistry. The software only detects the voltage drop and acts upon it.

Quote:
what is the Default voltage setting 1.2/cell? I had heard this can be reset to as high at 1.45/cell
On my charger, which is similar to yours, but not the same brand, has a range of from 5 to 20 millivolts per cell. The default for NiMH is 7 millivolts and the default for NiCd is 12 millivolts.

Quote:
have you used this charger for cycling?
Once or twice.

Quote:
would you set cutoff voltage at 8.0volts or 7.2? assume .3 amp discharge?
I would set cutoff voltage to 0.9 volts/cell.

Quote:
and do you recommend any particular wait time btwn cycles to dissipate heat buildup?
My charger will discharge at .5 Amps max, so I've not had any heat problems. However I might give a 3 - 5 minute wait between cycles just to give the voltage of each cell a chance to settle down.

Quote:
thanks
You bet...

Bill
Old Mar 08, 2010, 03:00 PM
chronic in training
Joined Nov 2008
1,830 Posts
awesome Bill

thanks a Ton!!]

Gary
Old Mar 08, 2010, 03:10 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,679 Posts
Any time.

Happy flying

Bill
Old Mar 08, 2010, 03:16 PM
chronic in training
Joined Nov 2008
1,830 Posts
last question I hope

[QUOTE=Sir Raleigh;14541316]This is correct. Actually charging at or below C/.3 is okay for a forming/balancing charge.

As the battery reaches full charge the battery will begin to heat up and the voltage will begin to drop off a slight amount. This voltage drop is sensed by the peak detection circuit and when it drops off by the amount of the peak detection setting (7 millivolts DEFAULT) the charger is turned off. This is assuming a charge rate at or greater than C/.5, or half the battery's capacity.

If I formation charge at 1/10th C say .2 amps in my case for a 2100 mah nimh.... will the the 7 mv default peak detection work or should I slightly adjust it? and where to...thanks
Old Mar 08, 2010, 03:28 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,679 Posts
The dependability of the peak detection is very iffy when charging at or below C/.3 and I wouldn't depend on it no matter where the detection voltage is set because the battery is being charged so slowly the battery chemistry doesn't react quick enough for the voltage to drop fast enough for the charger to detect it. In this case I would set the timer for 14 - 16 hours.

Bill