HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2010, 12:04 PM
United States, KY, Prospect
Joined May 2004
92 Posts
Discussion
Can someone help me identify what kind of plane this is and how I should power it?

Just got this plane from a buddy. Looks lke the original owner had done a repair to it and never finished putting it back together. Here are some pictures:

First off, what is this?

Second.. What will it take to make this thing fly? Can I go with a brushless motor or do I want to steer clear of electrick motors and water?

What kind of gas or nitro motor would this require to fly?

Can I use say a weed eater motor?

I'm trying to decide if this is a worthwhile project to complete. It already has all the servos. The wind needs one float. The motor mount looks like it needs to be replaced or repaired and I need to re-coat the fuse..

What are your thoughts?
Red5 is offline Find More Posts by Red5
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2010, 10:30 PM
Houghton Lake MI
Joined Apr 2008
200 Posts
I am not sure what your flying boat is, but it sure looks like it is worth bringing back to life. The "T" tail should be great for flying off of the water. Looks to be a pretty big boat based on the pool table it is sitting on. I am also starting a restoration (Ressurection?) of an old flying boat. (Picked it up at a swap meet) Mine will be converted to electric as I fly at Dawn on my way into work.

There are a lot of threads in the electric sections of this forum on seaplanes, waterproofing, corrosion x and other topics. As long as you are flying from fresh water, it is quite possible to fly electrics with minimal hassle. I know salt water flying can be done, but being from Michigan, I will let costal dwellers answer questions of that nature.

Electric is great for seaplanes because it lets me fly early in the morning and late in the evening when the wind is down a bit. I usually fly a sunrise flight on the way to work, and often an evening flight if the wind drops off.

Good Luck,
Dave
cougdave is offline Find More Posts by cougdave
Old Mar 09, 2010, 04:18 AM
boerie roll
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Apr 2007
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red5 View Post

First off, what is this?
Looks like an ACE Seamaster?
vleisie is offline Find More Posts by vleisie
Old Mar 09, 2010, 08:22 AM
Joined May 2004
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vleisie View Post
Looks like an ACE Seamaster?
I think you are CORRECT!

Now what kind of elec motor / esc would it take to get this thing in the air?
Old Mar 09, 2010, 08:54 AM
Houghton Lake MI
Joined Apr 2008
200 Posts
I am thinking about something like this for my Sea Cruiser.

http://www3.towerhandobbies.com/cgi-...?&I=LXLWV6&P=0

and this speed controller

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVJN1&P=M

or this one

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGVS4&P=M

But I may look to other motor brands, but I will be staying with Castle for the ESC, as I have never had a problem with a piece of their equipment. I have six of their ESCs to date. (Many in cars).

There are a lot of choices in this size range, so if somebody knows a better way to go, feel free to correct me.

Dave

btw, I am discovering that in the larger sizes, the battery becomes the main expense.
cougdave is offline Find More Posts by cougdave
Old Mar 09, 2010, 09:37 AM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Apr 2008
1,035 Posts
That is definitely Ken Willards' Seamaster 40. Just finished resurrecting mine a few months ago from a 20 year + hiatus beside my office desk. I'm running a Fox 50 with a modded prop, but any strong 40 should pull it fine. Depends on the final weight.
Cougar429 is offline Find More Posts by Cougar429
Old Mar 09, 2010, 10:07 AM
Joined May 2004
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar429 View Post
That is definitely Ken Willards' Seamaster 40. Just finished resurrecting mine a few months ago from a 20 year + hiatus beside my office desk. I'm running a Fox 50 with a modded prop, but any strong 40 should pull it fine. Depends on the final weight.
Where did you get your decal set????

I'm a weekend member of the USCG. And I would LOVE to make this plane look like yours.
Old Mar 09, 2010, 10:09 AM
Joined May 2004
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougdave View Post
I am thinking about something like this for my Sea Cruiser.

http://www3.towerhandobbies.com/cgi-...?&I=LXLWV6&P=0

and this speed controller

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVJN1&P=M

or this one

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGVS4&P=M

But I may look to other motor brands, but I will be staying with Castle for the ESC, as I have never had a problem with a piece of their equipment. I have six of their ESCs to date. (Many in cars).

There are a lot of choices in this size range, so if somebody knows a better way to go, feel free to correct me.

Dave

btw, I am discovering that in the larger sizes, the battery becomes the main expense.

Looks like a gas motor is the (more affordable) way to go...
Old Mar 09, 2010, 10:22 AM
Joined May 2004
92 Posts
Would this motor be enough to power thsi plane?

Engine: Pre-installed O.S. Max .46FXi (7.5cc) with High-Speed
Needle Valve extender/limiter that limits the movement of the
High-Speed Needle to prevent engine from being run too lean.
Engine is mounted on IsoSmooth Mount to isolate airframe and
radio gear from damaging vibration

It's the motor from my Nexstar trainer.
Old Mar 09, 2010, 10:24 AM
crashology student
Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2008
116 Posts
Red5 ... check your PM
rshep is offline Find More Posts by rshep
Old Mar 09, 2010, 12:29 PM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Apr 2008
1,035 Posts
The 46 should pull it fine. As for the decals, I pieced them together from several sets I got from a friend. He mentioned the source a while ago, but I will have to ask him again to refresh my memory. For the USCG I used vinyl lettering available at an office supply store.

Red5, funny you should mention your connection to the USCG. I'm hoping to pick up some more Polaris decal sets at the Toledo show. Still have to finish the red striping on the wings, but the USCG logo has proven to be the hardest part to find to complete the scheme. Would you have any sources for those like in the last pic?

Here's my other two in that same scheme. First is the foamie electric Polaris. Second is the original big brother design from Laddie Mikulasko, the "Northstar". That pic was taken a few minutes after it's first engine run to measure fuel duration. Not much left to do to that one to get ready for its first flight.

From this you can gather I like the look of the USCG scheme a lot.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:01 AM
Joined May 2004
92 Posts
Quote:
The 46 should pull it fine. As for the decals, I pieced them together from several sets I got from a friend. He mentioned the source a while ago, but I will have to ask him again to refresh my memory. For the USCG I used vinyl lettering available at an office supply store.

Red5, funny you should mention your connection to the USCG. I'm hoping to pick up some more Polaris decal sets at the Toledo show. Still have to finish the red striping on the wings, but the USCG logo has proven to be the hardest part to find to complete the scheme. Would you have any sources for those like in the last pic?

Here's my other two in that same scheme. First is the foamie electric Polaris. Second is the original big brother design from Laddie Mikulasko, the "Northstar". That pic was taken a few minutes after it's first engine run to measure fuel duration. Not much left to do to that one to get ready for its first flight.

From this you can gather I like the look of the USCG scheme a lot.

I just bought a few stickers on ebay for a dollar... perhaps you could buy a bumper sticker and cut out the emblem.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 02:42 PM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Apr 2008
1,035 Posts
Can you PM me with the dimensions and site?
Old Mar 10, 2010, 06:56 PM
Joined May 2004
92 Posts
Quote:
Can you PM me with the dimensions and site?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=360177545539
Old Mar 10, 2010, 09:20 PM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Apr 2008
1,035 Posts
Thanks. Just asked them for shipping cost.

Nothing in their add to mention size. Any idea?