HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2010, 09:55 AM
Joined Nov 2006
22 Posts
Help!
LiFe 6.6v for reciever applications

Hi, wondering if you could clear up some confusion for me. I normally use a 4.8V Nicad to power my recievers. I see where some manufactures are now promoting 6.6V LiFePo to run the recievers. One company includes two plugs to be used on the reciever(?) for high capacity loads. I normally fly 6-8 standard size servos in my planes. I use the Berg Microstamp 4 and the Berg 7P recievers. I was always told you had to run at least 4.8V to run the flight pack. Will 3.3V run the set up, or do I have to go to the 6.6V? Will the Berg recievers handle 6.6V? If so, how do you recommend hooking up 6.6V using this power source? Is a regulator needed? Thanks,
dlittle is offline Find More Posts by dlittle
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2010, 11:10 AM
Olathe,KS,USA
Joined Oct 2000
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlittle View Post
Hi, wondering if you could clear up some confusion for me. I normally use a 4.8V Nicad to power my recievers. I see where some manufactures are now promoting 6.6V LiFePo to run the recievers. One company includes two plugs to be used on the reciever(?) for high capacity loads. I normally fly 6-8 standard size servos in my planes. I use the Berg Microstamp 4 and the Berg 7P recievers. I was always told you had to run at least 4.8V to run the flight pack. Will 3.3V run the set up, or do I have to go to the 6.6V? Will the Berg recievers handle 6.6V? If so, how do you recommend hooking up 6.6V using this power source? Is a regulator needed? Thanks,
Good question,

The Berg will operate just fine at either 6.6V or 3.3V. There is an internal 3.3V regulator in the Berg for the electronics, and that regulator will operate to about 10V of input voltage.

The electronics will operate down to below 2.8V.

That said, please make sure your SERVOS work correctly at the voltage you are planning to use. Usually servos are much more sensitive to voltage than receivers.

Thanx!

Patrick
Patrick del Castillo is offline Find More Posts by Patrick del Castillo
Old Mar 08, 2010, 11:23 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlittle View Post
One company includes two plugs to be used on the reciever(?) for high capacity loads.
The wires and plugs used for servos (and thier power sources) are only rated for 5 amps. If your servos are drawing more than 5 amps, then regardless of the capability of your Rx pack (or BEC), a brown out will occur. This is the reason for the second wire and plug on some of the higher capacity BECs. That increases the max current to 10 amps, assuming that your power source can deliver it.

The hard part is determining how much current you really need. Few servo manufactures are forthcoming with thier current draw ratings. Even those that supply the rating tend to be slightly off. At least in my experience. The best thing to do is run your own test with an amp meter or an Eagle tree and find out what your application is drawing.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99