HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2010, 10:32 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,019 Posts
Question
3DHS 46" Vyper vs 47" SR

I'm planning to get one of these planes soon, and wondering if some people who have flown both the 46" Vyper and the 47" Extra SR could compare them. Both of these planes are described as 3D/Precision hybrids. Are there any specific maneuvers or types of flying that are easier with one of these planes? For example is one of them easier to harrier and fly around slowly than the other? Is it easier to fly patterns with the Vyper than the SR? Does the difference between these planes mostly come down to details, and I should just pick the one that looks nicer to me, or are there some major differences in flying characteristics?

My background is I've been flying RC planes since around 1985, but only got my first 3D plane a couple of years ago. I still tend to spend the majority of my flying time flying patterns and lines and scale style aerobatics, but I've really taken a liking to being able to throw some basic 3D flying into my mix, and also just love the way 3D planes have such friendly post-stall behavior. However the 3D planes I've tried so far don't make it very easy to fly patterns. So these 3D/Precision hybrids seem like just what I'm after.

Thanks for any information you can give.
bilboa is offline Find More Posts by bilboa
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2010, 10:50 PM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
I'd go with the Vyper then in that case. It has the lines of a pattern aircraft, but with the oversized control surface that 3D requires.

If you want to lean more 3D, then consider the 51" Slick as well in the mix.
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old Mar 07, 2010, 11:21 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,366 Posts
Both are awesome airplanes, but for what you're doing I'de say the Vyper is your best bet. I've written considerably about both planes, but right now I am totally captivated by the Vyper.

Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin