HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2010, 03:00 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
4,129 Posts
Help!
What's going on with my Tx's LCD display?

What happened to my LCD display? Where did it go?

Name: 1_50.jpg
Views: 139
Size: 72.6 KB
Description: Looks Cool! Name: 2_50.jpg
Views: 81
Size: 54.7 KB
Description: Oh oh... Starting to fade... Name: 3_50.jpg
Views: 62
Size: 55.8 KB
Description: Going....going... Name: 4_blank.jpg
Views: 73
Size: 48.9 KB
Description: Gone... :(

Just over a year ago, I did the back light mod on my XP8103. The back light looked pretty cool when it was done.

I had the Tx in it's case till recently when I bought the PhoenixRc sim to practice foamy 3D and started to use my Tx. The back light looked great for about 20 hours on the sim, but the EL panel started to fade, especially around the edges. Soon after, the LCD display started to fade. Now, the display is totally unreadable.

I dissassembled the LCD display unit and cleaned all the contacts (the rubber zipper thingy), but that didn't help at all.

Through some searching, I understand why the EL panel is fading, but I have no clue as to why the display has faded out on me.

Any suggestions on how to bring the display back?

Your thoughts would be very appreciated. Thanks.

KC
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2010, 04:24 PM
Near Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Joined Dec 2004
386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
What happened to my LCD display? Where did it go?

Attachment 3105356 Attachment 3105357 Attachment 3105358 Attachment 3105359

Just over a year ago, I did the back light mod on my XP8103. The back light looked pretty cool when it was done.

I had the Tx in it's case till recently when I bought the PhoenixRc sim to practice foamy 3D and started to use my Tx. The back light looked great for about 20 hours on the sim, but the EL panel started to fade, especially around the edges. Soon after, the LCD display started to fade. Now, the display is totally unreadable.

I dissassembled the LCD display unit and cleaned all the contacts (the rubber zipper thingy), but that didn't help at all.

Through some searching, I understand why the EL panel is fading, but I have no clue as to why the display has faded out on me.

Any suggestions on how to bring the display back?

Your thoughts would be very appreciated. Thanks.

KC
Does the 8303 have a contrast adjustment similar to the 9303. I had my backlite 9303 display fade out on me and I found out that the contrast had changed. Adjustment brought it back to normal.
376782 is offline Find More Posts by 376782
Old Mar 07, 2010, 09:23 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
Joined Sep 2006
4,129 Posts
OH MY GOD... I feel like such a dope!

I had forgotten that there was a contrast feature. The screen is back to normal.

Thanks for the reminder...

KC
Old Mar 07, 2010, 10:34 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
Joined Sep 2006
4,129 Posts
Well, that worked for about 10 minutes.

I'm at the highest contrast setting and the display is barely readable. It's like the inverter for the EL panel is sucking the life out of the display.

I may just have to send it in to JR and have the LCD display unit replaced.

Does anyone know what the cost may be, and the turn around time?

KC