SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 26, 2003, 04:47 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
F22 Raptor stabilator tips?

Thanks to Melfsmite, the F-22's at Baylands and a couple of other motivational threads I finally got a Raptor.

I'm planning to use a Mega brushless. It seems the preferred setup is a 5 turn motor. I already have a 4 turn and a 6 turn. Which would be better? I figure I'll start with the 6 turn and 8 cell 950 KANs or 1100 Hecells, that's what I've been using with that motor in a GWS P-51. And then later try out the 4 turn with the 8x4/5FAUP's.

Are there any tips for installing the stabilators? Is the stock setup sufficient for brushless power? I have some cf hollow rod that I plan to put inside the aluminum tube to reinforce it. Are the nylon guides okay? Any better way to rig the servo linkage?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2003, 07:39 PM
Tigard, Oregon USA
Joined May 2003
386 Posts
basket,

glad to hear you got a raptor! i love this plane! anyways, im not an expert on it but i do would like to share some experience i've had with this plane. i'm on my 3rd raptor now and each ones just gets better.

my first raptor, i just left everything stock except for the motor. i was just using the mega 16-7-8 on 10 AAU 1100 MaH on an apc 7x5. i'd tried a gunther 5x5 but it took too long to get to speed but it was fast when it got there though. i should've tried with a 6x5 but the LHS didn'nt have any.

my second raptor i put a mega 16-15-3 on 6x5 with 10 cp1300scr's. way too much! didn't have motocalc then. anyways on the stabilator. i left the aluminum torque rod and the plastic bushings alone but decided to beef up the two appendages where the stabilator mechanism sits in. the reason why was that i figure i would want the aluminum tube to bend rather than losing them appendages. i don't know if that is good reasoning but thats what i thought and did. well i crashed this plane cus the low voltage cut off on me too early and i didn't know what to do except just to let it crashed. the front of the plane was gone, the wings were ok, my batteries disintegrated, the vert. stabs were ok, the stabilator was ok, but the aluminum tube was bent and i still have those appendages! all this from about 65 mph at about 70 feet up. i somehow manage to rebuild the plane and was able to fly again, this time was with a wattage ducted fan mounted between the vert. stab.

my third raptor, i just transfered everything from my second plane to the new fuselage and saved all the new parts. i could've just ordered a replacement fuse, but i didn't want to be missing anything. now that i got it built i'll just order a spare fuse.

so, from the experience i've got. i don't see the use of the cf rod in the aluminum tube. it might do more damage than good. if you really want to use it, put it in the wing to beef it up. other than beefing the stabilator appendages, i left the mechanism stock. they seem to work for me so far. my second plane AUW was 25 point plus ounze. i left the linkages stock also.

the way i look at it is that i might crash the plane before it'll disintegrate on me so i will try to have as much fun as i can flying it than worry too much about building it. its foam!

i know there are others that have way more experience than me on it. but i haven't seen there remarks yet so i figure maybe my 2 cents might be worth something to you. have fun with it, its an awome flyer!

sokhena
sokmeister is offline Find More Posts by sokmeister
Old May 27, 2003, 08:37 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Thanks Sokhena, I like your idea of reinforcing the stabilator appendages.

I'll also probably crash it before I wear it out so am not that concerned about overbuilding it.

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old May 27, 2003, 09:23 PM
Tigard, Oregon USA
Joined May 2003
386 Posts
thats the spirit! let us know how it goes!

sokhena
sokmeister is offline Find More Posts by sokmeister
Old May 28, 2003, 06:14 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Basketcase
Thanks Sokhena, I like your idea of reinforcing the stabilator appendages.

I'll also probably crash it before I wear it out so am not that concerned about overbuilding it.

BC
I fly a stabilator equipped bird with a 16-15-5 Mega on 9 KANs and a 7x5 APC E prop. Maybe 50 mph on the level. My stabs pivot on aluminum tubes in aluminum bushings. The stabs themselves are reinforced with CF laminate strips top and bottom as shown. Strong enough for aerodynamic loads, but still allows them to break away if the leading edge catches on grass during a landing (rather than pulling away the whole tail end).

31 flights and still going strong. Had to replace the engine intakes, both stabs, both missle rails (2x) and the nose cone.

More pics of my stab arrangement - and that of an F-15 - in this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...h&pagenumber=1
Thomas Nelson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Nelson
Last edited by Thomas Nelson; May 29, 2003 at 01:36 PM.