HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 26, 2010, 11:57 AM
California
Joined Apr 2008
15 Posts
Tip

Matt,
I used the sweep tool on my tips. I took the tip airfoil sketch and swept it using the trailing edge as the guide curve and the leading edge as the path I think, or maybe they were flipped, but never the less they came out really nice!

I attached a pic, but it doenst display the tip so well.

Jacob
flyinguy is offline Find More Posts by flyinguy
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2010, 12:39 AM
United States, NJ
Joined Jun 2004
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psionic001 View Post
Hi Erazz,

just found this thread and read the lot. I can see you've gone through what I did earlier in the year with almost the same steps too.

I used about 6 span stations along the span of one half a wing rather than a root and tip. I also created a 0.5mm thick trailing edge in profili so I didn't have to do the thickening in SW. Profili has some really good tools to modify every aspect of the wing like that.

I really only had one problem and that was to achieve a perfect finish on the tips. I see that you have done the same as I had done and loft to a very small tip profile. I never found a way to finish it off and it remains as a 1mm high (max thickness), and 24mm long chord giving my 1.5 meter wing a little flat tip.

I know it's not that important in the scheme of things, but did you ever find a way of doing a perfect tip finish?

I have another mould splitting question too, but I'll ask that later.

best

Matt

You can't really loft or sweep a shape into a point. Geometrically it's not possible. I know it's not "perfect" but it's possible.
erazz is offline Find More Posts by erazz
Old May 27, 2010, 01:01 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2006
2,155 Posts
Thanks Jacob. What happens to the profile when the sweep gets to the end of the Path (your Leading Edge)? Does it still have height? Does your LE intersect with your TE? Are you able to render a close-up or a screen grab of the loft in action?

Thanks

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinguy View Post
Matt,
I used the sweep tool on my tips. I took the tip airfoil sketch and swept it using the trailing edge as the guide curve and the leading edge as the path I think, or maybe they were flipped, but never the less they came out really nice!

I attached a pic, but it doenst display the tip so well.

Jacob
Psionic001 is offline Find More Posts by Psionic001
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2010, 12:04 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,242 Posts
I couldn't get a sweep to work for a wing tip like that. I got some awkward geometry. Maybe 2010 is better at this than 2008. I'm using an RG14. I didn't try it with a symmetrical airfoil, but I suspect it might only work that way.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old May 27, 2010, 02:19 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Jun 2004
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamysz View Post
I couldn't get a sweep to work for a wing tip like that. I got some awkward geometry. Maybe 2010 is better at this than 2008. I'm using an RG14. I didn't try it with a symmetrical airfoil, but I suspect it might only work that way.

Greg
2010 is exactly like 2008. Sometimes it just takes some fiddling to do it right.

Don't give up. If you want to send the file to me and I'll try to see what I can do.
Old May 27, 2010, 10:11 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,242 Posts
I spent a bit of time messing with it. I can get a rectangle to sweep, although thickness doesn't scale with chord. I tried the RG15 and 64012 neither one will sweep. Thinking I had a problem with my file, I drew up the tail surface you did exactly and still nothing. I added pierce relations just in case. If I select just one guide curve it will follow the curve, but it refuses to cooperate with both selected.

My file is here. Right click, save as.

Grega
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old May 29, 2010, 01:44 AM
mcz-model
France, Alsace, Strasbourg
Joined May 2009
102 Posts
Hello,

i'm Fabrice from FRANCE, i have a question for erazz and all people : what is a TE channel and wich is the use?

Thank you.
Fabrice67 is offline Find More Posts by Fabrice67
Old May 29, 2010, 04:12 PM
California
Joined Apr 2008
15 Posts
Tip

Matt,
Sorry for the delay. I tried to render it so the tip can be seen. Let me know if you want any other views.

Jacob
Old May 30, 2010, 12:27 AM
United States, NJ
Joined Jun 2004
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrice67 View Post
Hello,

i'm Fabrice from FRANCE, i have a question for erazz and all people : what is a TE channel and wich is the use?

Thank you.

Hi Fabrice,

The channel is used to allow excess fabric and resin to overflow. Without it it's harder to close the mould. It also helps highlight the TE and makes trimming easier.
Old May 30, 2010, 03:31 AM
mcz-model
France, Alsace, Strasbourg
Joined May 2009
102 Posts
OK,
Thank's erazz.
Fabrice67 is offline Find More Posts by Fabrice67
Old Jun 21, 2010, 08:44 AM
United States, NJ
Joined Jun 2004
1,746 Posts
Not doing a lot of building lately but the CNC is working overtime

Old Jul 28, 2010, 04:47 AM
Joined Jul 2010
1 Posts
I have a question

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger2525 View Post
I tryed to load a airfoil that way and it comes up invalid file. what am I doing wrong I uploaded the file. I am new to all this and i want to learn this.

Roger
I have a question that what kind of airfoil did you use in your solid file, i found it very good for my project. Is it like NACA[what]?
dazou171 is offline Find More Posts by dazou171
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:38 AM
California
Joined Apr 2008
15 Posts
Cutting!

I finally started cutting my mold! Just a few quick shots to share.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 05:19 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2006
2,155 Posts
Nice,

keep sending through progress images.

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinguy View Post
I finally started cutting my mold! Just a few quick shots to share.
Psionic001 is offline Find More Posts by Psionic001
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2010, 05:44 PM
California
Joined Apr 2008
15 Posts
Thanks! I am going back in 30 min to go add the some locating holes and take a final cut along the trailing edge then hopefully load the other half so it can run all night!