HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2010, 03:51 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Jun 2004
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LN-JET View Post
Great work!
The prop mold is very interesting, can you post a cross section at mid-span of the closed mold, so we can see how the two parts fit together?
Are there resin channels?

Lars
There are no channels. The cross-section is simply the shape of the prop. I did integrate a thin parting plane because it prevents sharp corners.
erazz is offline Find More Posts by erazz
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2010, 05:51 PM
California
Joined Apr 2008
15 Posts
Hi guys. I am looking for some pointer with the mold I am creating. I am fairly new to SW and pretty much a noob. I have sketched the outline of my mold and have inserted the xyz curve but having a terrible time converting the entities and moving the airfoil to where I need it.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Jacob
flyinguy is offline Find More Posts by flyinguy
Old May 11, 2010, 12:01 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,387 Posts
Use the sketch move tool to move your airfoil spline. I import my airfoils, you can adjust the columns for XYZ position on curve import to put it on the plane you want. I modify the sketch using scale and move, always using 0,0 of the chord line. Then make new planes where I want the sketches and convert entities in a new sketch on the new plane.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old May 12, 2010, 09:51 AM
California
Joined Apr 2008
15 Posts
Greg,
Thanks for the tips. Hopefully I can get some free time to go experiment some more. I think the part I was missing was inserting the entities on the correct plane.

Thanks!
Jacob
Old May 13, 2010, 07:01 PM
kak8
Joined Jun 2005
306 Posts
I should be sleeping many hours ago:-) I can`t move, scale or do anything with the airfoils.
Even if I use the "spline" and sketch something that looks like an airfoil. Its`not easy.
Any sugestions? I wish I could find a wing modeling tutorials somewhere.

Adam
kak8 is offline Find More Posts by kak8
Old May 14, 2010, 12:07 AM
California
Joined Apr 2008
15 Posts
Progress

Greg,
Thanks for the tips. I worked on it some more and came up with this. Im having a hard time with getting the tips shaped. I imagine I need to create another plane and sketch the tip profile then loft to that?

Jacob
Old May 14, 2010, 03:25 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,387 Posts
I've not done any decent wing tips, yet. I would try the sweep method Erazz used in this thread.

Adam, it sounds like you needs to brush up on some fundamental SW skills. Manipulating sketches should be easy. You use the Sketch -> Move tool.

Greg
Old May 14, 2010, 07:21 PM
kak8
Joined Jun 2005
306 Posts
Thanks Greg, but I was trying to understand SW2002 and now SW2010 for 7 years just to sketch a 3D wing - I can`t figure it out.
It doesn`t realy helps to push the Sketch button first.
The polars starts at TE upper part, all the way around and ends at the lower TE, but start and end points are not connected.
Is the airfoil and the planform 2 different sketches? I can`t read between the lines:-) It looks very easy in the first two posts.
Adam
kak8 is offline Find More Posts by kak8
Last edited by kak8; May 14, 2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old May 14, 2010, 11:56 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Jun 2004
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kak8 View Post
Thanks Greg, but I was trying to understand SW2002 and now SW2010 for 7 years just to sketch a 3D wing - I can`t figure it out.
It doesn`t realy helps to push the Sketch button first.
The polars starts at TE upper part, all the way around and ends at the lower TE, but start and end points are not connected.
Is the airfoil and the planform 2 different sketches? I can`t read between the lines:-) It looks very easy in the first two posts.
Adam
It's better to have 2 curves. One for the top and one for the bottom. This makes the loft easier to accomplish.

If the endpoints are not connected you need to close them after you convert the curve into your sketch.

Yes, the airfoil and planform are 2 different sketches.
Old May 16, 2010, 09:06 AM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,387 Posts
I see. The step you're missing is to make a new sketch and convert the curve entities onto that sketch. You can't modify the imported curve other than changing the coordinates. So, you convert into a sketch, and then the sketch tools become useful.

Greg
Old May 18, 2010, 03:09 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Jun 2004
1,746 Posts
Got the tail moulds done...

These came off the machine very very smooth. Probably need only a light touch with 800 grit, 1200 and polish to get a mirror finish!

Old May 19, 2010, 04:50 PM
California
Joined Apr 2008
15 Posts
Solid almost done

erazz,
That looks great. I am almost done with my model, it just needs a few more holes for clamping. The mill at work will be open early next week so hopefully I can start making some chips!

Jacob
Old May 19, 2010, 08:19 PM
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erazz View Post
It's better to have 2 curves. One for the top and one for the bottom. If the endpoints are not connected you need to close them after you convert the curve into your sketch
In SW, do you alter the TE of teh original coordinates to have a defined step thickness? Or do you run it to the typical theoretical 100,0 endpoint coordinate, 'join' upper/lower surfaces as a solid & proceed from there?

And related to above, does your TE plunge cut also partially invade the airfoil (to give the TE 'thickness' after layup) or is it coincident with the end of the airfoil (ie the 100,0 business)?
ptxman is offline Find More Posts by ptxman
Old May 19, 2010, 11:34 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Jun 2004
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptxman View Post
In SW, do you alter the TE of teh original coordinates to have a defined step thickness? Or do you run it to the typical theoretical 100,0 endpoint coordinate, 'join' upper/lower surfaces as a solid & proceed from there?

And related to above, does your TE plunge cut also partially invade the airfoil (to give the TE 'thickness' after layup) or is it coincident with the end of the airfoil (ie the 100,0 business)?

I altered the sketch to give me a TE thickness of 0.3mm. Otherwise the mould could not be closed.

The TE channel is placed 2mm BEHIND the airfoil. This is so I have some extra to trim and don't cut into the airfoil itself.
Old May 23, 2010, 06:56 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2006
2,189 Posts
Hi Erazz,

just found this thread and read the lot. I can see you've gone through what I did earlier in the year with almost the same steps too.

I used about 6 span stations along the span of one half a wing rather than a root and tip. I also created a 0.5mm thick trailing edge in profili so I didn't have to do the thickening in SW. Profili has some really good tools to modify every aspect of the wing like that.

I really only had one problem and that was to achieve a perfect finish on the tips. I see that you have done the same as I had done and loft to a very small tip profile. I never found a way to finish it off and it remains as a 1mm high (max thickness), and 24mm long chord giving my 1.5 meter wing a little flat tip.

I know it's not that important in the scheme of things, but did you ever find a way of doing a perfect tip finish?

I have another mould splitting question too, but I'll ask that later.

best

Matt
Psionic001 is offline Find More Posts by Psionic001
RCG Plus Member