HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:13 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,450 Posts
This thread is fantastic. One day I'll post some of my how-to's when working with complex parts and things that don't want to loft easily.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:33 AM
France
Joined Jan 2006
238 Posts
HI,

Very good topic.

Do you know if there is similar tread concerning fuselage design with solidworks?

Best regards

Nicolas
kipecoul is offline Find More Posts by kipecoul
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:50 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,152 Posts
Thanks for the thread, I'm starting to learn SW as well, very helpful!!
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:28 PM
not bad for one eye
atlantic canada
Joined Jun 2008
68 Posts
I'm working on a new project and have a few questions about my method for setting the trailing-edge gap.

Instead of using profili, I used the set T.E. gap in XFLR. I did so by dividing the desired T.E. gap by the airfoil chord length, then multiplying by 100 (for ex., .3mm/50mm x 100=.6mm). I then entered the resulting .6mm into the T.E. gap value box and used the hinge line % as the blend distance value. I exported the foil from XFLR as .txt and added the column of zeros in notepad.

Because I work in metric, when I imported the profile to SW, it was 1mm so scaling was easy, as I just multiplied it by the chord length and moved it.

So, my questions are:
1) Is the hinge suitable as the blend distance in XFLR? And,
2) Is this crap? In other words, am I just distorting the foil?

Thanks,
Paul.
dlpaul is offline Find More Posts by dlpaul
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:35 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,386 Posts
If you are adding TE thickness the airfoil is being distorted. That's where XFLR5 comes in. You can analyze the see how much it's changed. I can't see you doing much about it, however. The airfoil must have a reasonable thickness on the TE at model scale.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:11 AM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Anyone know why my drawing sizes are limited to 500mm in SW 2012? I can't extrude a fuselage or wing beyond 500mm due to limitations in the drawing size and can't figure out why.

Thanks!

Jimmy
jtprouty is offline Find More Posts by jtprouty
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:31 PM
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,911 Posts
Are you talking about a limitation you are experiencing within the 3D model itself? (like a problem extruding or lofting using a command within the features tab)? Or do you mean difficulties trying to make aterations pertaining to the 'drawing' (SW lingo for the paper hardcopy representation of the model?

A drawing issue may simply be a function of the paper size &/or scale setup or drawing template used. Its just trying to fit the model views based on the X:Y scaling values you define, but that does not affect the 3D model itself. I think you can actually make alterations to model within the drawing & SW is smart in that it updates the model so everything is current. But generally I think you want to make changes to the model & let the drawing come out as a product.

There should be no limit I can think of just increasing the geometry of the underlying sketches or planes or whatever in order to extrude distances as long as the math is valid & nothing funky going on. Did you import as one set of units into a SW template of different units? For example when you dimension a section or chord, does it show proper mm as units or whatever you are working in? And same test in the drawing?
ptxman is online now Find More Posts by ptxman
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:24 AM
New Zealand, Auckland, Pukekohe
Joined Apr 2011
238 Posts
Is it possible to post a copy of the file so we can go through the settings.
awkward is offline Find More Posts by awkward
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:29 AM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Here's a drawing that I have the problem with. I think I may have found the problem. I found that the units for the drawing was set to meters, not millimeters. I had changed the units to MM but it evidently doesn't save your preferences in SW2012 like it did in 2008. I saved a new template and hope that will take care of the issue.

Thanks again for your help,

Jimmy
jtprouty is offline Find More Posts by jtprouty
Old Mar 01, 2013, 12:56 PM
I am actually really slow
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2008
961 Posts
How do you guys get solidworks? Im not in school, dont own a business and would like to begin learning it for hobby purposes. Is there a way? Or is out of reach for the everyday person?

Im know my way around Rhino pretty well, but would like to try solidworks.
SlowBarless is offline Find More Posts by SlowBarless
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber up close
Old Mar 01, 2013, 02:17 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,450 Posts
www.google.com
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:23 PM
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2008
961 Posts
Thanks Sam, your post was about as informative as a bag of sticks. Thanks.

Anyone with a more usefull response? Already looked at their website. Found no licensing options for 'normal people'
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:22 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2006
2,189 Posts
Here: http://bit.ly/Yfk8MY

EDIT>>> Just ask someone you might know who's a student, and they could purchase for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowBarless View Post
Thanks Sam, your post was about as informative as a bag of sticks. Thanks.

Anyone with a more usefull response? Already looked at their website. Found no licensing options for 'normal people'
Psionic001 is offline Find More Posts by Psionic001
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Psionic001; Mar 02, 2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:07 AM
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2008
961 Posts
Alright thanks guys
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2014, 07:16 AM
Joined Mar 2008
54 Posts
Please keep this thread alive also more vids on doing wings in CAD. There is some valuable info here
GootyS is offline Find More Posts by GootyS