SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 06, 2010, 09:22 PM
Airliner Builder
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Feb 2010
1,989 Posts
Discussion
My FIRST Thermals! And my first day at the club!

I had my FIRST thermal flight today! And it was on my FIRST day at the Marymoor RC Club!

The weather in Seattle today has been stunningly beautiful so there was no reason to sit home and do nothing.
I flew the Cumulus '97, a 10 year-old six-foot wingspan, Nicad battery but damn good flying electric sailplane (look at my picture on the left)

I hit two monster thermals at Marymoor, the first was the best, rode it up to about a thousand feet. The second one I almost gave up at first because all I could find was sink (which meant there was a BIG thermal around). Then all of a sudden at the corner of my eye to my right I see about 4 hawks soaring high with their wings spread out so I headed over there......hit alot of turbulence on the way then....BAM up I went! And I got it all on my inflight camera.

Longest flight may have only been 22 min (it was the second one with the birds which I did not have the camera on), buy hey It was my first thermals so I got nervous once I hit about 900 feet. And I only used about half of my two Nicad 600 Mah and 1000 Mah batteries (I only use Nimh and LIPO on my other gliders/planes). Bringing it down sure is hard! To show what a glider is capeable (barely) of doing I did some loops and rolls on the way down to lose lift.

Club flying is fun because your etheir flying with a big honking gas plane or small sub-3D electric guys swarming your big glider.
Was a great day for me!

And thanks to my dad for hand-launching it and coaching me to the thermals and telling me to get out of the unseen force once the orientation was getting trick for me and my cheap sunglasses.

Youtube video uploading, so stay tuned!
WAGliderGuy is offline Find More Posts by WAGliderGuy
Last edited by WAGliderGuy; Mar 06, 2010 at 11:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2010, 01:01 AM
Airliner Builder
Joined Feb 2010
1,989 Posts
I am posting this at 10:00 so don't watch this video until about 12:00 so the processing can finish.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQKGgt5mhaQ
Old Mar 07, 2010, 10:40 AM
USA, CA, Shasta Lake
Joined Mar 2005
362 Posts
Wow what a nice flying field......and nice thermal flying WAGliderGuy
bosco49 is offline Find More Posts by bosco49
Old Mar 07, 2010, 11:53 AM
Airliner Builder
Joined Feb 2010
1,989 Posts
Thanks, I am now hooked.
Old Mar 07, 2010, 11:27 PM
Spring, TX
Joined Jun 2006
263 Posts
Thats a great video. You put some effort into it.
fraggin is offline Find More Posts by fraggin
Old Mar 22, 2010, 06:05 PM
United Kingdom, England, Hastings
Joined Nov 2009
15 Posts
It’s amazing when you hit a big one well done good stuff. Have a look at me thermal soaring with out a glider. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT3GmFB3TN
mheff*uk is offline Find More Posts by mheff*uk
Old Mar 22, 2010, 06:32 PM
Airliner Builder
Joined Feb 2010
1,989 Posts
Wow thats pretty darn cool!

Last saturday I spent 7 hours at my local club and got at least 2 hours of flightime inbetween 6 flights! Not much but there was still lift I found over the runway. Was a great day! And I maidened the Easy Glider Electric the day before. Check out the videos I made:

Friday, Easy Glider Maiden:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwtnOtgcxb0

Saturday, 7-hour club day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oY1i-_DS7c
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:54 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,240 Posts
wow I havent been over to "SCARYMOORE" in yrs!!! and quit flying thier cuzz it was getting a bad reputation in general however thats a fantastic video take!! sometime have your dad take ya over to 60 acres, much better glider field and no jerks to put up with! and the glider guys are also much more helpful
lectroglide is online now Find More Posts by lectroglide
Old Mar 23, 2010, 06:01 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,348 Posts
Finding your first thermal is like losing your... first tooth (), you'll never be the same!

Good job!

Fly, be happy
JimNM
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Mar 23, 2010, 11:54 PM
Airliner Builder
Joined Feb 2010
1,989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroglide View Post
wow I havent been over to "SCARYMOORE" in yrs!!! and quit flying thier cuzz it was getting a bad reputation in general however thats a fantastic video take!! sometime have your dad take ya over to 60 acres, much better glider field and no jerks to put up with! and the glider guys are also much more helpful
Bad reputation? Really? There always seems to be at least 5 spectators watching and eating lunch behind the lines.

I heard about 60 acres at the field, seems some scale pilots like that place. Where is it?

And what do you mean jerks? I must have not met them because eveyone there is really helpfull and walks around introducing themselves and dropping alot of F-bombs here and there.....lol
Old Mar 25, 2010, 02:47 PM
Airliner Builder
Joined Feb 2010
1,989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroglide View Post
wow I havent been over to "SCARYMOORE" in yrs!!! and quit flying thier cuzz it was getting a bad reputation in general:
Did you say that because you had a bad reputation or did that mean old guy torrent you and scare you out? And where is 60 acres?
Old Apr 19, 2010, 04:51 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAGliderGuy View Post
Did you say that because you had a bad reputation or did that mean old guy torrent you and scare you out? And where is 60 acres?
60 acres is north of redmond, ask any hobbyshop
lectroglide is online now Find More Posts by lectroglide
Old Apr 19, 2010, 08:35 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
United States, DE, Seaford
Joined Sep 2008
3,552 Posts
You're done...you are hooked for life. Hopping a thermal for the first time or the 500th time is what sailplane pilots live for. Congrats on your flight!!!
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Eagle has landed