p.s. I did not crash.
Scarlett is offline Find More Posts by Scarlett
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2010, 12:31 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,517 Posts
I haven't flown for several days and the withdrawl symptoms are starting to show up...

So I'll share a particularly pleasing flight story

Now, by now anyone who's read through this thread knows I'm a big fan of my PBF. Well, I was out flying it a couple days ago and it was REALLY windy. I was just having fun tossing it around in the wind (sometimes, when you're REALLY comfortable with a plane, wind is just another toy ). A friend from school walked by, watched for awhile. He was suitably impressed, and surprised. Very few people at school know where I really learned all that geometry and physics

According to the timer on my Flash 5 transmitter I was running out of time so I had to make landing arrangements in wind that just got stronger and stronger by the minute.

Friend walks away. About 45 seconds later I bring the plane down to about 3' up and just let it hover there for a few moments in the wind. I cut the throttle, point the nose down just a bit and let it drop. Pull up a little and land it light as a feather, level and almost totally still. Very satisfying.

And even after lots of flying in wind (I'm up past an hour of flying on that PBF now, mostly in heavy winds) it's not been crashed... ever. Only one bumpy landing caused by an unseen but large bump in the grass. No damage....

I hope to do some flying tomorrow, weather permitting (or not ).
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Mar 28, 2010, 02:34 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,664 Posts
Forgot to check in this am, before embarking on a trip out on a sunny day but blowing a hooley at the flying field, managed to see a bunch of the guys for a chat though, which was good news.

The clocks went forward today and so it's still light at 7:30pm, so come next wekend we've a chance of evening flying. Fingers crossed for a great flying season.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Mar 28, 2010, 02:53 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
WAHOOOO~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FINALLY got to fly yesterday. I had TONS of fun. I almost forgot how much fun it was to fl 3D
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Mar 28, 2010, 03:33 PM
Read My Blog!
Northern California
Joined Jan 2009
1,846 Posts
Hey TP15, can we see a pic of your PBF?
Yep I'm with everyone else, I am LOVING this warmer and sunnier weather! I hadn't flown fixed wing stuff since before Christmas, and it was great to fly, I hope to do much more flying this year!

HT
HawkerTyphoon is offline Find More Posts by HawkerTyphoon
Old Apr 03, 2010, 12:35 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,420 Posts
The rain has passed and the winds are... not bad.

To the airstrip!
SD One. is online now Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Apr 03, 2010, 01:10 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,517 Posts
Ack... Wednesday was good flying weather but the battery-holding rubber bands broke on my PBF. Planted it in a tree about 35 feet up. Still there today.

It's ok because as long as the equipment (less the battery by now) survives I'll be fine. It's been too windy to fly here all week. I'll miss that battery though

I've got pre-tree pictures of it though, and in one of them the broken rubber band is clearly visible. How I missed it during my preflight I'll never know...
Old Apr 03, 2010, 08:38 PM
Im gilfrisco
Sacramento
Joined Mar 2010
24 Posts
Went out flying to day hard flat belly landings.....in the rocky mud. Saw the police yelling at a car, thought he was yelling at me though becuse i was kinda.. trespassing were i was flying but no were else to fly were i wouldnt fly into power lines or hit a person. so good day i guess
Raab is offline Find More Posts by Raab
Old Apr 04, 2010, 03:53 AM
Bicycle clown
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Feb 2010
399 Posts
18 inches of snow over the grass anymore. Local guys arrenged rc-aerotow meeting, and they had to hire a tractor with big snowmill to get the runway cleared. Football sandfields are clear allready, but bit small.
Shuffle is offline Find More Posts by Shuffle
Old Apr 04, 2010, 08:44 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,083 Posts
Left the house yesterday with the T-28 and micro p-51. Early and very clam. Drove about 1/2 way to flying area and wind starts to pick up. Arrived and flew one pack on micro. More like trying to steer around a paper plate. Packed it up, winds got way too strong for anything. Bummed! But not as bad as I would have been if I would have had a mis-hap from flying when I shouldn't have been!
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Apr 05, 2010, 04:35 AM
Bicycle clown
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Feb 2010
399 Posts
Field today. It"s good to go for a walk once in a while to check the situation.
Shuffle is offline Find More Posts by Shuffle
Old Apr 05, 2010, 08:20 AM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,510 Posts
Shuffle, I hope it warms up for you soon. I had only one good day to fly in January and none at all in February. That was bad enough! We had an unusually snowy winter here in New Jersey too. So far March and April have been OK, just enough on the windy side to cause some bad landings.
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
Old Apr 08, 2010, 05:02 PM
AMA #953123
Eugene, ORYGUN
Joined Mar 2009
2,203 Posts
Right now its raining, snowing and hailing all at the same time. An hour ago it was sunny and I thought I was going to get to go out flying. Stupid Oregon.
VROOMSTER is offline Find More Posts by VROOMSTER
Old Apr 08, 2010, 05:46 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,517 Posts
It's been alternately windy, cold and rainy (or any combination of the three) for the past few weeks now. I got to fly a little a couple days ago, though. I took out the little pink foam trainer again, this time with a 3S 910mAh pack, 2212-10 1400kV motor, and an APC 7x4. It did good but it really shines with that setup on a GWS 8x4 HD.

It's kinda weird how much fun I have with that thing, actually. It's a 3 channel, 30" span stick-fuse plane with hotwired pink foam wings. I built it just as a hotwire cutter test to see if the cutter was useable. It came out to be a fun plane

It's especially fun when I put like 200W on it and let it rip
Old Apr 08, 2010, 11:12 PM
"Put it in the air"
United States, KY, Florence
Joined Feb 2010
202 Posts
Back yard 4 days ago. Maiden PZ micro mustang. Amelia Earhart didn't even fly this good. Now I sit and wait for 80 degrees and 0 wind. We get about 2 of those per year in Monroe, MI. Patience....
Scarlett is offline Find More Posts by Scarlett