HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2011, 01:17 PM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,490 Posts
Plenty of times I've had a "bad feeling" that was subsequently borne out by events. Probably our brains are running a risk assessment program in the background based on all factors like weather, plane, pilot.

Sometimes I even call it in advance, like "I'm flirting with disaster here".
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2011, 01:17 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,440 Posts
Quote:
It, s good advice and, as they say if the phrase "if at first you don't succeed, try, try again" is one which you live by, then skydiving probably isn't the best hobby choice.
"If at first you don't succeed, you ate WAY too much cheese"...

Well, it's April 16th and, after some 75+ degree days, we just got a fresh layer of snow last night This weather is ridiculous...

No flying is gonna happen here for awhile
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Apr 16, 2011, 01:21 PM
On the Edge of Space
Joined Dec 2007
1,490 Posts
20 to 30 wind today, 20 to 30 wind tomorrow.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 03:29 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,411 Posts
Yeah. Sucks here too today. Tomorrow doesn't look too bad!
SD One. is online now Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:01 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,893 Posts
Unbelievable weather today. Low humidity, 5 mph wind, not a cloud in the sky.
Tore it up with the F-100 & the big Hellcat.
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Apr 16, 2011, 11:25 PM
Danville, GA
Joined Aug 2010
824 Posts
Was a nice sunny 70 degree day, unfortunately it was about 25mph winds all day. Instead of flying I cut the yard and shaved low the "front yard runway."

Tomorrow is suppose to be just as sunny but only 5mph or less the entire day. I got 2 planes and 6 batteries ready to go. Will be at the club field just after noon.
ckreef is offline Find More Posts by ckreef
Old Apr 17, 2011, 02:50 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,646 Posts
Gorgeous Spring day for our club fun day and BBQ. Limbo, balloon bursting, burgers, free flights for the punters - what more could you ask for?

Loaded up and ready to roll.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Apr 17, 2011, 07:05 AM
Meh close enough.
United States, TX, Longview
Joined Dec 2010
558 Posts
Feel sorry for you guys who have to think about weather, temperature, pine trees and cars.
Here in Papua the only things you worry about: Wind, sun glare, dogs on the runway and random spectators who expect you to let them take the controls too. (all right, that's quite a bit too)
Went up to my usual flying spot yesterday afternoon and did a Return-to-Service flight on one of my foamies. Flew great! Can't wait for the next weekend. Will fly the 2-month old Mini Telemaster too.
minivation is offline Find More Posts by minivation
Old Apr 17, 2011, 07:18 AM
RC did this to me
USA, CT, Jewett City
Joined Sep 2008
563 Posts
Well I lucked out today…its usually my day off and my day down at the club…well have to work today instead and the weather is miserable…but…and have Monday off instead…so looks like I will have to flying time anyway.

Well it is New England so who knows what the weather will be.
I can't wait to FLY my recently soaked and recovered foamy...
rcflyerEric is offline Find More Posts by rcflyerEric
Old Apr 17, 2011, 11:16 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,440 Posts
Quote:
Here in Papua the only things you worry about: Wind, sun glare, dogs on the runway and random spectators who expect you to let them take the controls too. (all right, that's quite a bit too)
We get all that around here, too At least it's good to see that someone is doing some flying...
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Apr 17, 2011, 11:40 AM
On the Edge of Space
Joined Dec 2007
1,490 Posts
It's blowing twenty with gusts to thirty. It's our first club Fun Fly of the year. I'm going to send my Polaris up come heck or high water. Chances are excellent I'll smash it to a million pieces. It's a dirty job, but somebody has to do it.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 11:44 AM
Danville, GA
Joined Aug 2010
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dLdV View Post
Chances are excellent I'll smash it to a million pieces. It's a dirty job, but somebody has to do it.
That's the spirit we know and love. Good Luck.
ckreef is offline Find More Posts by ckreef
Old Apr 17, 2011, 02:43 PM
On the Edge of Space
Joined Dec 2007
1,490 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement. Yep, so it's all aviation history now. Taxied out for ROW from the giant mud puddle. Got airborne, nothing too bad, as usual, the flying part isn't so bad. After a little managed a splashdown touch and go. Tried it again and got flipped about 2 yards up. Broke the tail pylon off. Quick trip home for the 6 minute epoxy, glued back on nicely, and back out to the field.

Second flight was all good, no damage, and flew around a good 4 minutes or so.

That was a new personal record for windiest flight. Had to be a steady 20, gusting to 30. Really windy out.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 02:45 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,646 Posts
Fantastic day, with unbroken sunshine, warm light zephyrs, dozens of flyers and some excellent flying with lots of entertainment. Even the total loss of my boy's Spitfire couldn't take the edge off the best fun day we've had so far
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Apr 17, 2011, 06:38 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,509 Posts
Weather looks good now so I'm charging up some batts and going to fly the MUS at the local park before dinner. Yee-haw!
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal