HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2011, 02:08 PM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
Flew my modded HZSC with floats today, even in 15mph winds. The snow is sooo soft and slushy now I had to hand launch it because the plane sunk into the mush. FINALLY some warmer weather here in MN!
Can't resist the old joke, AGAIN.

Oh yeah, I remember summer that year. It was nice that day.
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2011, 02:44 PM
Read My Blog!
Northern California
Joined Jan 2009
1,844 Posts
Went out early this morning for a few flights. It was colder than it has been (high 30's) and the wind was blowing just a tiny bit.

I had to keep it higher than normal because some dogs were present at the field, but by the time the battery ran down the "bogies" had left.

HT
HawkerTyphoon is offline Find More Posts by HawkerTyphoon
Old Feb 13, 2011, 04:12 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,262 Posts
I just got a quarter of a second of flying done Way too much power and not nearly enough airplane, plus a good bit of downthrust. No details allowed.

At least the muddy slush on the ground broke its fall
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Feb 13, 2011, 04:15 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
9,999 Posts
that sounds like an interesting flight..
aronph is offline Find More Posts by aronph
Old Feb 13, 2011, 04:57 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,262 Posts
Oh, it certainly was.

I just did some good flying, though. Got about 8 or 9 minutes at the park down the street. It's no longer cold enough to be a problem so I was able to fly normally without worrying about my fingers freezing. I also had a couple young spectators standing across the street. It's always more fun when there's a constant chorus of "Look at THAT" and "Did you see THAT?" and "WHOA!!!"; when I've got people to show off for, I always enjoy myself more than I would if it was just me.

I nailed the landing, unplugged the lipo, and got a great round of applause as I left I love this hobby.....
Old Feb 13, 2011, 05:12 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
9,999 Posts
*applause!* :d
Old Feb 13, 2011, 05:36 PM
Read My Blog!
Northern California
Joined Jan 2009
1,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP16 View Post
Oh, it certainly was.

I just did some good flying, though. Got about 8 or 9 minutes at the park down the street. It's no longer cold enough to be a problem so I was able to fly normally without worrying about my fingers freezing. I also had a couple young spectators standing across the street. It's always more fun when there's a constant chorus of "Look at THAT" and "Did you see THAT?" and "WHOA!!!"; when I've got people to show off for, I always enjoy myself more than I would if it was just me.

I nailed the landing, unplugged the lipo, and got a great round of applause as I left I love this hobby.....
Spectators are always fun.

One time, my brother was flying my RC airplane and there were some kids at the end of the field I was standing and at that time my brother was wearing headgear. The one kid asked, what's that on his head? Before I could answer, another said, " I know! Its a "thing" that lets him "talk" to the airplane and helps him control it. I was laughing so hard as I walked away I think they though I was on drugs or something.

Now only if the wind would die down, I could go flying.

HT
Old Feb 13, 2011, 05:48 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
9,999 Posts
"Now only if the wind would die down, I could go flying." HAWKER...me too-best day in ohio ive seen for 2 months and didnt get one battery in....it was like 50degrees and sunny, but too windy. I shoulda said "SCREW IT!" and flew anyway...
Old Feb 13, 2011, 05:49 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,262 Posts
If the wind doesn't die down, just add a few hundred watts to the plane and show the weather who's boss. Works for me, except my latest attempt (today) was a little anticlimactic.

Man, now I totally want a voice-controlled R/C plane
Old Feb 13, 2011, 09:00 PM
Read My Blog!
Northern California
Joined Jan 2009
1,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP16 View Post

Man, now I totally want a voice-controlled R/C plane
They tried that in the Macgyver show with a missile.

The whole "Right 3 meters, 20 degrees" controls worked great!

HT
Old Feb 15, 2011, 02:57 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
9,999 Posts
Flew 4 packs with the PZ extra-calm(ish) winds, good temp(ish), but the sun was killer. I just could NOT get a flying angle where the sun wasnt in my face, so i didnt try anything stupid(ish). Parachutes were the manuever of the day, and i tried it with the throttle trim up and down. On gassers, the prop is spinning all the time so i tried to mimic that by puting the throttle trim up so the prop was still spinning at "idle" when i had the throttle stick all the way down. It seemed to want to stall spin/tip stall in, and was a little harder to maintain the stableness so i trimmed down the throttle a little so ONE click of throttle would "idle" the motor, and the stick all the way down would be 0% power. It seemed more maintainable with 0% power(to my suprise), so after i figured that out, i tried inverted parachute. whoa. The first one got into a spin before i could flatten it out and it being inverted, the rudder was backwards(yes i forgot), so it made the spin worse. I figured the best way out of a canopy landing was to neutralize sticks, no throttle, let the plane nose down to break the stall, then throttle easy and maybe pull up/down. It was still inverted after all that, and luckily i pushed the stick DOWN. Recovery ok. I also was trying a little spot landing, which I never tried before because i was never near accurate enough with the sticks to "plant" the plane where ever i wanted it. (Sure would be nice to have some airbrakes sometimes, floaty floaty) But this time, i was puting it where i wanted it, partially because of the calm wind, just enough to have a decent headwind landing. After i started doing parachutes with deadstick, the prop would stop for the majority of the decent. It was weird seeing that, looked like a crash waiting to happen..
Old Feb 17, 2011, 01:12 PM
Mile High Pilot
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined Jun 2010
1,175 Posts
Withdrawal

Is been since Jan 30 since I got my last stick time. Im dying to get out there after getting back from a business trip last night about midnight. Charging up the packs from the storage charge in hopes that the wind will die down enough to get some flights in. It was over 20mph this morning

jc
milehighjc is offline Find More Posts by milehighjc
Old Feb 17, 2011, 01:22 PM
On the Edge of Space
Joined Dec 2007
1,446 Posts
My long interlude came to a close in ripping fashion. Maidened the ME 262 and christened the Polaris. What a lunch hour. Pics!
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:30 PM
Ryan
USA, NJ, Barnegat
Joined Mar 2005
146 Posts
Glad you got out to enjoy the beautiful weather in South Jersey today. Got 4 flights in myself. Probably won't be this nice again for a while.
rfg06 is offline Find More Posts by rfg06
Old Feb 19, 2011, 03:54 PM
On the Edge of Space
Joined Dec 2007
1,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/PR-Senate-2-2011.pdf

"Sen. James Inhofe, OK, successfully sponsored S.223 in the Senate yesterday with an amendment specifying a “Special Rule For Model Aircraft” that provides an exemption from regulation for model aircraft operating within the following parameters:
 Flown specifically for recreational, sport, competition, or academic purposes;
 Operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;
 Limited to 55 pounds or less unless certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program currently administered by a community-based organization."

http://inhofe.senate.gov/public/inde...n_id=&Issue_id

Passed the senate, now to the house. Perhaps letting your congress critter you want them to pass it would be a good idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfg06 View Post
Glad you got out to enjoy the beautiful weather in South Jersey today. Got 4 flights in myself. Probably won't be this nice again for a while.
Thanks, and likewise. No flying today, its blowing like mad out there! Here is a link to a bill in congress that will help preserve model aviation. The link contains a link to write to your congressman (click on the arrow next to Arbo and see the next post) about it if you want. Happy South Jersey flying!

PS - The rest of you can weigh in with your guys too.

--------------------------------------
Last edited by dLdV; Feb 19, 2011 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Clarify about the linking linkages