SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 01, 2011, 04:22 PM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkerTyphoon View Post
Those are some nice looking planes. I like the one with landing gear.

Sadly this weekend was all rain and wind so I didn't get a chance to fly.

HT
Yeah, I know what you mean. We were snowed out all of January. There was one day when a bunch of us hooked off of work and flew. So to stay on topic, I am peeved that I only got to fly twice in January.

We didn't really hook off. It just turned out a bunch of us weren't busy that day. Sometimes it pays to have a club thread. Other times it just points up what a bunch of idiots we are, and we can't believe we hang out on weekends together.
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2011, 04:31 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
Quote:
Sometimes it pays to have a club thread. Other times it just points up what a bunch of idiots we are, and we can't believe we hang out on weekends together.
My club has its own website/forums but we only meet like once a year so it's all good. As far as the sheer idiocy of the members, well, we've all just learned to accept each other as we are Collectively, we possess enough intelligence to point a bungee launcher straight at a tree, fly planes after dark without lights, and fly an EDF Stryker.... on the ground.....
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Feb 02, 2011, 05:23 PM
It's Too Windy
Tennessee
Joined Nov 2009
662 Posts
I flew Monday.

Cheers,
Henry
DoubleH is offline Find More Posts by DoubleH
Old Feb 07, 2011, 04:53 PM
2 Cor 5.21
Tennessee
Joined Jul 2009
777 Posts
Crummy!

Forecast didn't look so bad...upper 40's, light wind, mostly cloudy. But when we start loading up the gear the rain started spitting.

Quick check of the radar showed that it was just a band that would pass through soon enough, so we figured we'd give it a try.

As soon as the rain began to slack off we powered up and got ready to launch...then the wind started. No way could we not fly after getting this far, so we tossed them airborne (DoubleH with the SuperCub, GIUsedtoBe with his J-Power P-38, and me with the GWS FW-190).

Eight minutes later our fingers were all miserably cold and it was time to head for the O Club.

Man, I am really looking forward to spring!

Jeff
JMAH is offline Find More Posts by JMAH
Old Feb 07, 2011, 06:45 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAH View Post
Forecast didn't look so bad...upper 40's, light wind, mostly cloudy. But when we start loading up the gear the rain started spitting.

Quick check of the radar showed that it was just a band that would pass through soon enough, so we figured we'd give it a try.

As soon as the rain began to slack off we powered up and got ready to launch...then the wind started. No way could we not fly after getting this far, so we tossed them airborne (DoubleH with the SuperCub, GIUsedtoBe with his J-Power P-38, and me with the GWS FW-190).

Eight minutes later our fingers were all miserably cold and it was time to head for the O Club.

Man, I am really looking forward to spring!

Jeff
"O" club? Where in TN? Hmmmm Many good memories. USN Ret
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Feb 07, 2011, 07:19 PM
If in doubt, add accelerant
United Kingdom, England, Stansted Mountfitchet
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
Looks like we have a break in the weather tomorrow here in Kent, UK - wind speeds forcast to be 2mph Spent the evening charging up the LiPos looking forward to a good 3 or four hours worth of flying. Aim tomorrow is to get some good shots of touch and go's with the Ultra Micro's off of my car's roof
Lberry.88 is offline Find More Posts by Lberry.88
Old Feb 07, 2011, 08:06 PM
2 Cor 5.21
Tennessee
Joined Jul 2009
777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
"O" club? Where in TN? Hmmmm Many good memories. USN Ret
Ha! Yeah, lots of good memories from the O Clubs of the world. No "official" ones here in the Knoxville area, but hey, what else are you going to call the place you go have a beer after flying?

Thanks for your service. May you enjoy the gratitude of the nation for many happy years in your retirement!

Jeff
JMAH is offline Find More Posts by JMAH
Old Feb 07, 2011, 09:22 PM
Danville, GA
Joined Aug 2010
824 Posts
Currently we only have 2 days at work -- rain day or work day (Weekend -- what's that ???)

Of course that is somewhat opposite for flying.
ckreef is offline Find More Posts by ckreef
Old Feb 08, 2011, 01:34 AM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
Went out this morning with the UM T-28. It was a bit windy for it, and I was fighting to keep it to my left so I wasn't looking into the sun. After a few close calls, and a sideways landing that popped one of the wing landing gear mounts off, I decided to call it today. I hoped to fly my large T-28 this afternoon but was called into work. Wind looks better for tomorrow anyway!
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
Old Feb 09, 2011, 05:53 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Flew the HZ Champ with the bigger 500mAh battery today. Bit of trial and error getting it in the right position for COG. Being bigger (heavier) it seems to make for a bit more nose down on approach, yet a bit more nose up at WOT. Overall seems OK, didn't get to see how long it will fly, wind picked up. It seemed like I flew as long as 2 of the small batteries. Nooooo, I didn't even think to time it!
Old Feb 09, 2011, 06:13 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,150 Posts
if it noses down out of throttle and climbs on WOT, then its nose heavy
aronph is offline Find More Posts by aronph
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:02 AM
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
I was afraid of that. Guess I need to cut out a bit more foam rearward to move the big battery further aft. Thanks.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:16 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,150 Posts
do you know the inverted/upright CG trick?-move the bat back and keep trimming for strait flight at 3/4 throttle, when it begins to climb on its own when it is INVERTED, its tail heavy. When you get to that point, nudge the bat forward. When you fly inverted, it should take a hair of down elevator to maintain
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:01 AM
Read My Blog!
Northern California
Joined Jan 2009
1,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronph View Post
do you know the inverted/upright CG trick?-move the bat back and keep trimming for strait flight at 3/4 throttle, when it begins to climb on its own when it is INVERTED, its tail heavy. When you get to that point, nudge the bat forward. When you fly inverted, it should take a hair of down elevator to maintain
This is a handy method, but I don't think a HZ Champ would fly too happily upside-down for a long period of time.

HT
HawkerTyphoon is offline Find More Posts by HawkerTyphoon
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:18 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,150 Posts
hmmm....ok-just hafta move it back and trim until it straitlines in or out of the throttle?