SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 23, 2011, 06:40 PM
Read My Blog!
Northern California
Joined Jan 2009
1,845 Posts
Well, after two trips to the field, which happens to be right across the street, I put 4 batteries through my OLD Aerobird 3. It is the only airworthy plane I have at the moment and it still flies GREAT. There was absolutely no wind until the last battery and even then it was not bad at all.

I flew more today than I did all of last year!!! I decided this year will have less excuses and more flying. I am just now getting the hang of everything again. I am really missing an aileron equipped model,

HT
HawkerTyphoon is offline Find More Posts by HawkerTyphoon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:07 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,126 Posts
yea-if i had a plane without ailerons im not sure i would like it much-i use the ailerons on my extra WAY more than the rudder, but i guess thats the kind of plane that really wouldnt steer and correct very well with rudder only
aronph is offline Find More Posts by aronph
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:15 AM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
In the last 2 weeks I had an unsuccessful maiden on my eRC J5 ... you may have read that one. And I have flown my HZ Champ at least 10 times without a scratch. Did my 1st full control rate flying yesterday as well as my 1st 2 loops! Woo hoo. Hoping for calm-ish winds this afternoon to fly more and maybe re-maiden the J5, hereafter called Frankenplane.
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:19 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,410 Posts
Well, not much plane action is going on here, but my X-Acto blade and the sawdust have certainly been flying

I've spent the last few days building my first "normal" balsa plane. I've built a couple in the past with solid, carved-balsa wings and shaped/solid balsa fuselages but this is my first that'll use the more standard open-space design. The wing is just about ready to cover and the fuselage.... Ummm... I still haven't given that much thought
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jan 24, 2011, 03:11 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,126 Posts
im scratch buildin a 80" high wing outta popsicle sticks-the cord is allmost 10" long-ive had to glue, draw, cut and sand every rib-i flew the SuperTurd (PZ Extra)2day though-uneventful, no wind, great landings, flew on rails
aronph is offline Find More Posts by aronph
Old Jan 29, 2011, 03:33 AM
Norway, Hordaland, Årstad
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
Oh yes, I'm going out flying today !!!
Will take 4 planes and 8 batteries, and hope that there will not be too much wind !
Cubber1 is offline Find More Posts by Cubber1
Old Jan 29, 2011, 09:56 AM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Flew 2 batteries through my little HZ Champ early this morn. Calm wind and very sunny! Still afraid to re-maiden my eRC Cub. Did my 1st rolling takeoff, several in fact. Hand launch is far easier. Also did 5 or so landings on a deserted roadway. Last few were good roll on landings. Did all of the flying on full rate, trying to get ready for the bigger Cub!
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Jan 29, 2011, 10:04 AM
Professional Plane Crasher
USA, MO, Kansas City North
Joined Sep 2010
77 Posts
My 11 yr old maidened his delta wing yesterday afternoon, and today we're going to fly everything that's ready. I'm going to try to maiden my foam board P38, and we may as well take the Wild Hawk up for a while too. Last halfway warm (40's) day with light winds for the next week probably.

Delta wing maiden
Grabber5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Grabber5.0
Old Jan 29, 2011, 10:08 AM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,448 Posts
Club field is snowed in, but reconned an alternate site with google maps. Looks like a big parking lot adjacent to farm fields, public property. Hope to maiden a sail plane today.
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
Old Jan 30, 2011, 06:25 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,410 Posts
I just did a little flying in the lovely warm weather. I got a total of 32 seconds in the air; I had some funky rolling issue that nearly crashed me once at about 5' up. I was in a sharp turn when something went wrong on the plane and it went completely inverted. I caught it and flipped it back the other way, got level, and cranked it straight up just in time to avoid a pine tree.

I then pulled into another turn on the same circuit and ended up heading straight in a direction I didn't want to be heading and trying to turn just slammed me into the ground.

The flying was great other than that, though
Old Jan 30, 2011, 07:18 PM
Read My Blog!
Northern California
Joined Jan 2009
1,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP16 View Post
I just did a little flying in the lovely warm weather. I got a total of 32 seconds in the air; I had some funky rolling issue that nearly crashed me once at about 5' up. I was in a sharp turn when something went wrong on the plane and it went completely inverted. I caught it and flipped it back the other way, got level, and cranked it straight up just in time to avoid a pine tree.

I then pulled into another turn on the same circuit and ended up heading straight in a direction I didn't want to be heading and trying to turn just slammed me into the ground.

The flying was great other than that, though
Tip stalling?

HT
Old Jan 31, 2011, 05:52 PM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,448 Posts
So I flew the LW Skimmer yesterday. It was too windy, one of those days where the wind is trying to twist the plane and snatch it from your grip. The dang thing wouldn't turn right. After about a minute of trying not to crash the wind flipped it, close to the ground, and the tail broke off.

I came home and glued the tail on and put weight on the right wing.

Today was calm. It flew better with the tip weight. Ended up with 3/4 oz of tip weight. Even though the right wing is way heavier, that is how much it takes to glide level with neutral rudder. After about 4 flights to dial in with weight to neutral controls, it now has a beautiful shallow glide angle. It was worth building. Should be fun when we get some thermals.

There are still a few quirks that seem to be common to short coupled planes with high aspect wings.
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
Old Jan 31, 2011, 07:04 PM
Read My Blog!
Northern California
Joined Jan 2009
1,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dLdV View Post
So I flew the LW Skimmer yesterday. It was too windy, one of those days where the wind is trying to twist the plane and snatch it from your grip. The dang thing wouldn't turn right. After about a minute of trying not to crash the wind flipped it, close to the ground, and the tail broke off.

I came home and glued the tail on and put weight on the right wing.

Today was calm. It flew better with the tip weight. Ended up with 3/4 oz of tip weight. Even though the right wing is way heavier, that is how much it takes to glide level with neutral rudder. After about 4 flights to dial in with weight to neutral controls, it now has a beautiful shallow glide angle. It was worth building. Should be fun when we get some thermals.

There are still a few quirks that seem to be common to short coupled planes with high aspect wings.
Those are some nice looking planes. I like the one with landing gear.

Sadly this weekend was all rain and wind so I didn't get a chance to fly.

HT
Old Feb 01, 2011, 02:50 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,024 Posts
Had a chance to get two batttery's thru my T-28 on Saturday, fisrt chance I've had to fly in a couple of weeks. Been sick and weather has been crap. Felt great! Two really good flights as well. Myself still wasn't 100%, couldn't take the cold for more than 2 pacs. It was good shiz!
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Feb 01, 2011, 04:14 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,410 Posts
HT, it certainly wasn't tip stalling; I have no idea what it was doing. I have it on video so I'll see about posting it. I have a few ideas but I'll have to review the footage closely.

The weird thing is that this is a setup/plane that I've flown a whole bunch of times (about a hundred flights since October), and past versions (with basically no design differences) total at least a thousand flights. It's never done anything even close....