SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 14, 2010, 08:01 PM
Here comes the rooster...
Joined Aug 2006
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VROOMSTER View Post
Thats a sweet looking stick if you ask me.

What kind of a thrust angle do you have?

Whats up with the double wings? Does that reduce the constant lift of the wing? Looks cool either way.
Thanks Vroomster. I wanted to try a symmetrical airfoil for better sport flying characteristics (though I'll admit that I'm not an experienced aileron flyer), so I just glued two wings together, and cut oversized ailerons into it. Because of the "hefty" look of the wing, I glued two vertical and horizontal stabs together. It took a ton of lead to offset the heavy tail feathers.

I got the idea for two wings from searching on the web.

The incidence is just about 1 degree, if that much. Its angle of attack looks normal, i.e. it's not dragging its tail around, so I guess it's enough? With the slight wind, and due to the area I was flying it, I couldn't get a good look at the side from a far enough distance to verify its angle.

I've got some tuning to do, that's for sure.
JesseB is offline Find More Posts by JesseB
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2010, 08:14 PM
Team 3DHS
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009
5,477 Posts
The weather looks good for Tuesday ...

Low wind .. clear skies ...

It looks like it will be a great day for flying ... except it will be my "discovery flight" and I will be flying in a Cessna 172 !

Its the first step in getting my real license !

... Wait .... You guys are talking about RC planes ....
wamsy55 is offline Find More Posts by wamsy55
Old Mar 15, 2010, 05:23 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
Ohboyohboyohboy!!!! 64*F yesterday and possibly warmer today. All the ice is gone from my fields.

Funny, it was jus there on Friday. At least a 3" solid layer of the stuff, just up an' run away

This, combined with the 5 day weekend I've got coming, means.... FLYING!!!!! My second Slow Stick is all ready for a maiden. I've had it since January and it's never been outside.....
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Mar 15, 2010, 06:11 PM
AMA #953123
Eugene, ORYGUN
Joined Mar 2009
2,203 Posts
Going out flying again here in a bit. Nice sunny day here again today in Oregon. The rain is coming though, so I'm going to get as much stick time in as I can.
VROOMSTER is offline Find More Posts by VROOMSTER
Old Mar 20, 2010, 12:17 AM
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
I did some good flying on Thursday with the new PBF. It was a real sunny beach to fly before I got the CG right, but it's just great now. I also found that 2" Maxx wheels are more than capable of taking off and landing in soggy grass

Until those flights I thought of them mostly as pavement gear, but I was pleasantly surprised

I also discovered that the power system is good for LONG flight times. I ran that pack for a good 5 minutes of flying before Thursday's final trimming, and then it flew for easily another 10 or more without a charge. There's WAY too much power on this thing; it flies happily at 10% throttle. Not even gonna guess its top speed; it's obscene....

Hoping it warms up so I can fly a little more Saturday. Friday was all cold and windy, Thursday was HOT and calm.... I'm referrring to all these days by their names because it's 12:14am Saturday and I want to avoid confusion
Old Mar 20, 2010, 09:13 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
Ok, I did the planned flying today. One solid 10 minute flight on the PBF limited by lack of daylight and chilled fingers

Great landing, too

Conditions were dead calm (the reason I went) and about 45*F. At 7:34 when I took off there was plenty of light, but 10 minutes later it was almost dark Oh well, it was good....
Old Mar 20, 2010, 10:08 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Got some flight time in my front yard yesterday with my little indoor foamy
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:25 AM
Joined Jan 2010
32 Posts
Man I wish I was able to fly the past few days. Mid 60's to low 70's, next to no wind...

The only downside is the only motor I have is in pieces, and I can't put it back together until I get more in

Oh well, the wire should here soon...
Elixin77 is offline Find More Posts by Elixin77
Old Mar 21, 2010, 07:43 AM
Team 3DHS
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009
5,477 Posts
No wind ... no sun ... Lets go flying !

I might get to maiden my brushless super cub.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 09:43 AM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,343 Posts
Wind + rain = PS3 for me.

Went out early this morning and got two flights in before the rain started.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:14 AM
Team 3DHS
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009
5,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormdriverOne View Post
Wind + rain = PS3 for me.

Went out early this morning and got two flights in before the rain started.
It started raining 5 min before I got to the field ...
Old Mar 21, 2010, 01:55 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
It's been sunny and slightly breezy all week long. Today looks to be the same
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Mar 21, 2010, 06:28 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
It was sunny and slightly breezy here today.

I flew the PBF for awhile (12 minutes, one flight, emptied the pack). Good fun. Good landing.

I maidened my Slow Stick. Simply great, but Lou's 2100mAh 3S lipo was as bad as he said and I barely got 5 minutes total. That thing came down HOT..

I then flew the PBF again. Got about 8 or 9 minutes (flying much harder than the last flight) before I was forced down by the battery.... and a freaking bird. This peregrine falcon that holds the park as its territory came in at about the 8 minute mark and just circled around (the plane ) watching my plane and looking awful unhappy about its presence. My pack was too weak to keep flying so I landed in a hurry. Bird immediately left.

Scary but cool....
Old Mar 21, 2010, 09:15 PM
Read My Blog!
Northern California
Joined Jan 2009
1,846 Posts
I almost went out to fly my Parkjet today but that didn't happen as my field was invaded with soccer players, so I just stayed inside and flew my MCX. Temps were in the mid seventies with no wind!! That is quite unusual for where I live so I really wanted to go flying! So I told my dad next weekend we needed to go with his friend to the flying field so I can fly where there is plenty of room.

HT
HawkerTyphoon is offline Find More Posts by HawkerTyphoon
Old Mar 21, 2010, 09:40 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
HT, that sux... Generally I try to avoid flying over people (as should EVERYONE ). Just too many things could go wrong....

I'm lucky because it's still not the best outdoor-activity weather here so I get my fields all to myself.

The total for today is 3 PBF packs flown empty in 3 flights. Just love this little bugger. Usually after the 3rd iteration planes become fairly permanent in my fleet This one is just too much fun. for some reason it seems WAY more CG-sensitive than the previous two but oh well... Nothing else to complain about, really. Nothing. Perfect airplane in my opinion. It's logged almost 45 minutes of flying and I built it only 5 days ago That works out to 9 minutes per day, or about 1 flight/pack daily so far. Planning on more, of course