HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2010, 04:16 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,372 Posts
I put a new power system on one of my Weasel Jets just for kicks. Bigger, faster motor, 2200mAh 3S lipo and a 9x7.5 prop on a 30" wing

Well, it was way too windy out there but I had already plugged the battery in when I made that observation. To make a long story short, the wind combined with the extra-low airspeed made the plane totally uncontrollable.

Very nice lawn dart. Shredded the fuse but it's easy enough to make a new one.

I guess since today is too windy for anything else I've got it'll gonna be spent getting supplies for a new Pizza Box Flyer, and then building it. I just don't feel like messing with my Weasels today......
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2010, 09:48 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
What the heck. 6 months of winter here in Nebraska. Still have icebergs melting in the yard, I think they are melting. We have 3 indoor venues nearby so I started going again about 5 weeks ago. This time I went to the 'Center', a 3 soccer field wide, 40-55 foot ('V- shaped) ceiling, metal building with artificial grass.

Can't fly out, I'm flying in (now it's rainy and cold). Put together a 'one day plane', it turned out to be a great flyer and fun as heck. Used fan-fold, fibre tape for 'spars' with sturts of dowel for security and all old, brushed gear with old 9 gram servos. Must have cost me a whle $2-3 dollars US in stuff I might even want to replace.

Also took out a cheapo own design twin EDF 40 profile Learjet I pieced together last summer. Had only test glided in the back yard as the weather was turning. Wow, best flying thing I've created in the last 5 or so builds. How about an EDF twin, indoors, cheap brushed gear, fly's fast enough at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle, eats only 60 mah in 4 minutes on a 520 mah battery, that's 15-20 minutes a charge? Shocked me, can't land it even at 1 click of throttle, just ground effects like a glider.

Freddie B.
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Mar 14, 2010, 03:13 AM
Bicycle clown
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Feb 2010
399 Posts
It"s -3C here, grey, low overcast. There"s a slight problem with my usual field. They are building extra floor to the carparkhouse, which is close to the field, and huge liftingcrane arm hovers now above the runway approx at 80 feet. Of course you don"t have to midair with it but...Ground is still covered with snow and frozen deep. Fingers would be frozen numb before all the wires and RX would be installed...Frozen ground is very rough, becouse it has melted a bit and then the trucks have ridden all over it, and then frozen again. Usual grass field is still covered with two feets of snow. After meltdown it will be out of use for a month, becouse all that water makes it soft and muddy. This year we have been able to use grass fields seven months in a year.
Uplifting report as usual
Shuffle is offline Find More Posts by Shuffle
Old Mar 14, 2010, 04:59 AM
Bicycle clown
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Feb 2010
399 Posts
Looks like this.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 08:20 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
1,995 Posts
Today: Showers likely, mainly before noon. Cloudy, with a high near 44. Northeast wind around 17 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Not looking too promising for today! At least the temp has been on the way up lately.
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:33 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,372 Posts
It's in the 40's here right now... Snow's melting fast but that leaves my fields all muddy and puddle-y, plus there's still a lot of uneven ice on them. No good for landings.

Shuffle, I feel for you. Finland sounds very similar to where I live except everything's already started to thaw out here. Sounds like you've got a little while to go I hate it when I get to the field, take off, and realize that my fingers are frozen after about 5 seconds. I tried flying once this winter in -5F weather (-20.5C), and I don't plan on doing it again
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:45 PM
Petaluma, CA
Joined Aug 2009
285 Posts
50F right now with a high at 65F. 4mph winds and clear skies...
runCMD is offline Find More Posts by runCMD
Old Mar 14, 2010, 01:09 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,928 Posts
Finally I got to maiden my Squall! again yesterday, and have to say, it's SOO much better with HS55's, over the junk ones I had in it before

Then later in the day I decided to go out and fly my 32" DW Extra 330 pro kit, and had a blast
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Mar 14, 2010, 02:24 PM
Here comes the rooster...
Joined Aug 2006
95 Posts
Very lightly raining, yard soaked (couple of inches of rain over night), but I flew my Dipstick successfully for the first time. Last week's attempt resulted in a bent motor shaft and broken landing gear.

It was hard to get the speed up in the mush, but it did it just before crashing into some lumber at the end of my yard.

This plane needs some serious trimming so I can take some lead off of it - I made some obvious mistakes during the build, but still, it was nice to finally fly something again!

Jesse
JesseB is offline Find More Posts by JesseB
Old Mar 14, 2010, 02:24 PM
Bicycle clown
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Feb 2010
399 Posts
TP15: Yeah, -5F(-20C) is pretty much the limit Planes work great though, but the pilot gets disfunctional. Retracts get veeery scale-like(slow). I actually travelled to the field today, but it started snowing again, and wind was uncomfortable, so i came back. Some have burned their ESC"s with inblowing snowflakes. Last few winters have been pretty mild, but this one is rough. I guess it"s pretty much the same in northern mid-west there, as southern Finland. I have to do some more test flights pretty soon, because i have to decide soon, which kind of battery packs i"m going to order for the summer competition season. The 8S setup pulls great when full and new, but i need that power all the way to the end, 9S pairs would deliver that probably. Nose is just very tight, to fit 9S packs there would need some serious work. 8S pair goes there tightly.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 04:16 PM
AMA #953123
Eugene, ORYGUN
Joined Mar 2009
2,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseB View Post
Very lightly raining, yard soaked (couple of inches of rain over night), but I flew my Dipstick successfully for the first time. Last week's attempt resulted in a bent motor shaft and broken landing gear.

It was hard to get the speed up in the mush, but it did it just before crashing into some lumber at the end of my yard.

This plane needs some serious trimming so I can take some lead off of it - I made some obvious mistakes during the build, but still, it was nice to finally fly something again!

Jesse
Thats a sweet looking stick if you ask me.

What kind of a thrust angle do you have?

Whats up with the double wings? Does that reduce the constant lift of the wing? Looks cool either way.
VROOMSTER is offline Find More Posts by VROOMSTER
Old Mar 14, 2010, 04:17 PM
AMA #953123
Eugene, ORYGUN
Joined Mar 2009
2,203 Posts
Oh ya! Im going out flying. taking my MSC and my j3 out for some fun in the overcast sun.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 04:43 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,928 Posts
Well, police are scurrying about today and are playing with their heli, so looks like a flying day to me
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Mar 14, 2010, 05:25 PM
Petaluma, CA
Joined Aug 2009
285 Posts
Got about an hour in today on my new Stryker body's maiden. Flew like a dream. Only rough bit was a failed catch, but it just stressed the nose a bit .
runCMD is offline Find More Posts by runCMD
Old Mar 14, 2010, 07:23 PM
AMA #953123
Eugene, ORYGUN
Joined Mar 2009
2,203 Posts
Great day to fly today? The wind picked up but nothing too serious.

Killed all 3 of my packs and was heading to my battery station and noticed a sailplane crashing in the bushes on the other side of the field. I haven't ever seen anyone else in my field flying before I so I went to say hi.

He just had a cheapo 2 channel plane and my lipos were all dead or I would have let him fly my J3. Im charging them now and I told him to meet me in an hour if he wants to try flying a 3ch plane. So I think I made a new RC buddy today!

Just need to get him into a proper plane now. LOL