HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:03 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwolfe View Post
I was able to get one flight in today before coming to work. Then the winds picked up. My EfliteT-34 was just sitting there when a gust blew up. Blowing of its canopy and damaging it. It was just sitting there! Jeez!
It happens! I have had planes almost take off by themselves.

Put 8 batts thru the PZ UM P-51 Stang yesterday. Still a blast to fly! The last flight I got too crazy and nosed it into the lawn grass. Knocked the motor loose. Popped the spinner off.

I glued the motor down good this time!
I suspected the silly foam spinner as being a source of vibration at low to mid RPM so I left it off and powered up and sure enough, it was.

Put 3 batts thru the PZ UM Spitfire. Fun to fly but heavier and does not fly as long on a batt.

Was dead calm today, so I got the Stang and headed out for more fun!
Grrrr... just as I go out the wind kicks in! No flying now.

I don't seem to have to work all that hard at "weathering" my planes, they just seem to do it on their own!
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Last edited by BattleDude; Jul 22, 2013 at 02:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:13 PM
United Kingdom, Warrington
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Out again today took two edf's but was little too windy for me with them. Was fun with PZ T28 and T28 ff. on charge ready to go again tomorrow 3 days running so far wahoo

Rod
Mrgeorgedoors is offline Find More Posts by Mrgeorgedoors
Last edited by Mrgeorgedoors; Feb 17, 2013 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Typo
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:59 PM
mutski
Fairbanks, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,151 Posts
Q450 Under Construction

Not flying yet, but getting close. I'm stuck waiting for bullet connectors and servo extensions. For now it gets leftover Immersion 250mw 5.8ghz Vtx and Killer CMOS camera. I'll upgrade after I see how it flies... Only glitch so far is drilling through the lower board to attach a landing gear. The positive trace on the board is apparently a layer throughout. Screws for the landing gear were well away from the surface trace but connected to the positive terminal! I pulled them out and put some liquid electrical tape in the holes.

TurboRacer - I LOVE the lights!
mutski is offline Find More Posts by mutski
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:26 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
2,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutski View Post
Not flying yet, but getting close. I'm stuck waiting for bullet connectors and servo extensions. For now it gets leftover Immersion 250mw 5.8ghz Vtx and Killer CMOS camera. I'll upgrade after I see how it flies... Only glitch so far is drilling through the lower board to attach a landing gear. The positive trace on the board is apparently a layer throughout. Screws for the landing gear were well away from the surface trace but connected to the positive terminal! I pulled them out and put some liquid electrical tape in the holes.

TurboRacer - I LOVE the lights!
Nice mutski,

Mind sharing your set up there?

I'm planning to build a quad myself.

Thanks, CW
cwolfe is offline Find More Posts by cwolfe
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:49 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,791 Posts
Yea mutski lights are awesome! Cheap too, I need to order more!!

Love the tupperware top!! Great idea! hahaa. Plus you can paint the inside too bet it would look cool. Quad looks sick, I love these quads!
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:25 PM
mutski
Fairbanks, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,151 Posts
TurboRacer - Tupperware to protect the electronics so I can fly in the snow!

Cwolf - Here's my Q450 setup so far. Obviously not flight tested yet. I'm a little in the dark about propellers - I'm hoping the red and green will be functional together. I also have an ebay set of matched CW and CCW props.

HobbyKing parts:
Mini OSD System w/GPS Module
Q450 Glass Fiber Quadcopter Frame 450mm - Integrated PCB Version
TURNIGY Plush 25amp Speed Controllers
NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kv / 250w
10x4.5 SF Props 2pc Standard Rotation/2 pc RH Rotation (Red)
Slow Fly Electric Prop 1045R SF (4 pc - Green Right Hand Rotation)
Hobbyking KK2.0 Multi-rotor LCD Flight Control Board V2.0
Turnigy 2200mah 3S batteries

Additional:
AR6210 rx
DORA RSSI analog for Spektrum
Immersion 250mw 5.8ghz Vtx
Immersion Killer CMOS video camera
5.8 GHz Cloverleaf Ultra Antenna (RHCP) IBCrazy
mutski is offline Find More Posts by mutski
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:28 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutski View Post
TurboRacer - Tupperware to protect the electronics so I can fly in the snow!

Cwolf - Here's my Q450 setup so far. Obviously not flight tested yet. I'm a little in the dark about propellers - I'm hoping the red and green will be functional together. I also have an ebay set of matched CW and CCW props.

HobbyKing parts:
Mini OSD System w/GPS Module
Q450 Glass Fiber Quadcopter Frame 450mm - Integrated PCB Version
TURNIGY Plush 25amp Speed Controllers
NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kv / 250w
10x4.5 SF Props 2pc Standard Rotation/2 pc RH Rotation (Red)
Slow Fly Electric Prop 1045R SF (4 pc - Green Right Hand Rotation)
Hobbyking KK2.0 Multi-rotor LCD Flight Control Board V2.0
Turnigy 2200mah 3S batteries

Additional:
AR6210 rx
DORA RSSI analog for Spektrum
Immersion 250mw 5.8ghz Vtx
Immersion Killer CMOS video camera
5.8 GHz Cloverleaf Ultra Antenna (RHCP) IBCrazy

Very, Very nice! Thanks for sharing. I'm new to multi-rotors, and want to set one up myself. Looking forward to reports on the maiden!
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:51 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Long weekend. Got a four or five flights in yesterday, but nothing today -- we've got a mini-blizzard going on, not much snow but great gobs of wind. Wind isn't letting up tomorrow either, according to the predictions. A good weekend for building.

Fate keeps messing with our flying sites. For a year or two now we've been flying at a decent-sized corporate lot, with permission, on weekends and occasional summer evenings. But starting a few weeks ago, it's turned into a staging ground for snow-removal and snow-dumping, with massive trucks and machines scattered around the lot, as if just to thwart us. Grrr.

Oh well, another month or two and our regular field should be usable again.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:56 PM
United States, NE, Kearney
Joined Dec 2011
2,232 Posts
I finally got out to the big field (I fly small stuff close by).

When I woke up this morning, I said,
"What the heck... I'm putting the RadJet 800 together and taking it with me".

And dang... with a 2200 kV motor, that thing moves right along! Good grins and fun for everyone!
DustBen is offline Find More Posts by DustBen
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:44 AM
Joined Oct 2002
1,791 Posts
Well, it's about 20 degrees. 15mph wind gusting to 33. -2 windchill...

But damn, my trunk is loaded and I want to fly. I want to try the MCPXBL in a field - have only tried in my front yard and can't really open it up.. .

May be one of those days I sit in my car and fly by sticking my head out the sunroof. hahahaa
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:23 AM
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
4 days running I've been out and today was the best day. Flew around 20 batteries today with my PZ T28 T28 FF and my T45

Had a good 3-3 1/2 hours out today

Formation flying with my T28 and my buddy with his. They looked sweet doing figure if 8's around the park

Rod
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:28 AM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgeorgedoors View Post
4 days running I've been out and today was the best day. Flew around 20 batteries today with my PZ T28 T28 FF and my T45

Had a good 3-3 1/2 hours out today

Formation flying with my T28 and my buddy with his. They looked sweet doing figure if 8's around the park

Rod
Formation flying is so cool. Stunts are cool also, but formation flying reminds me of real WW2 formations of warbirds. That's the last thing I would want coming at me if I were an enemy soldier!

Kyle
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:24 PM
Joined Oct 2002
1,791 Posts
Well, I learned a couple things flying just now on my lunch break.. I had winds at 20, gusting to 30... Warmed up to a balmy 28 with 17 windchill.

The MCPX BL handles the wind very well. It would hover with the disc at a 30 degree angle, but it held it just fine. I did full speed upwind reverse flight and the tail held solid with the MCPX rotor on the back. I couldn't hear it screaming because I was sitting in my car with the windows up! hahahhaa.. Too cold for me. Anyway, flew three packs inside the toasty car with no probs.. I loved flying upwind then pulling back and shooting straight up and downwind and diving back down.. The heli really pulls off big G maneuvers nicely.

Anyways, First thing I learned that it's probably not a good idea to fly while in the car, because at some point you're going to lose sight.. It blew in back of me just a tad and I lost it, held it, couldn't see, so I hit throttle cut and looked for the drop. Didn't fall far, but it looked like confetti when it hit.

Second thing I learned - the canopy and landing gear is like glass when it's below freezing. Canopy shattered into about 30 pieces, and the gear had four or five breaks!

Bastard. Everything else was fine. But stopped my flying because I had no way to secure the gear anymore.

Busted out the HT FPV quad and was having fun with that. Upwinds were a crawl but big tall stall turn to downwind and the thing would go Mach III.

That one I got out of the car to fly, didn't want to crash that

All in all, good time. Calling LHS to see what parts they have before I place an order online.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:49 PM
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post
Formation flying is so cool. Stunts are cool also, but formation flying reminds me of real WW2 formations of warbirds. That's the last thing I would want coming at me if I were an enemy soldier!

Kyle
Yeah it looked awesome my buddy rolled around me which was brilliant, 3 of us have spitfires so were going to do some formation flying with them soon I've just finished building mine

We had attracted quite a few spectators that stopped as they were walking though the park when we were formation flying!

Rod
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:03 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,047 Posts
Thunder storms and wind for my weekend. . I guess I should start building this Maxford Stearman that's been in the box since Christmas.
Last edited by cwolfe; Feb 18, 2013 at 05:10 PM.