SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:29 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,283 Posts
Temp: 41F (5C) Fair
Fair

Humidity: 73%
Wind Speed: W 23.0 MPH G 34.5 (20 MPH G 30 KT)
Barometer: 30.12 in
Dewpoint: 33F
Wind Chill: 31F

Warm enough but the stinking wind is crazy !!
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:31 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,397 Posts
I entirely disagree. My enjoyment of the hobby has only grown with experience. I might have called the initial crash/fix/crash/fix/land/fly/crash/fix cycle "fun" when I was actually doing it since I didn't know any better, but after building up my flying skills and moving into some seriously awesome planes, I can happily say that it just keeps getting better.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:49 PM
rrg
USA, KY, Edgewood
Joined Dec 2007
1,260 Posts
Wind here to is nuts. I took the Stryker up today for about 3 minutes.....
rrg is offline Find More Posts by rrg
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:30 PM
United Kingdom, Warrington
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Still too windy to fly. Saturday looks ok with 8mph winds and 4 degrees with sunny intervals, hmmm bet that'll change by tomorrow, its been a wk now no fly zone
Mrgeorgedoors is offline Find More Posts by Mrgeorgedoors
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:57 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,660 Posts
Forecast says 20-30 MPH winds,with a high of +3 F. Glad I've got the nCPX & MV.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:27 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,791 Posts
Hmm, gusts to 50mph today.. I brought the ASbach3X and was kinda thinking about seeing how it does in the wind. This could be funny or sad. hahaha
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:50 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,655 Posts
Same here, but I'm going to stay grounded. Already having to get my Nano board fixed, I can't afford to keep blowing up airplanes and helis!!!
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:30 AM
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Looks like me little pimped msrx is gonna get chucked around the front room again tonight chasing the cats is fun till one of em swipes at it lol. The youngest follows it when I go into a different room just watching it
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:37 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgeorgedoors View Post
Looks like me little pimped msrx is gonna get chucked around the front room again tonight chasing the cats is fun till one of em swipes at it lol. The youngest follows it when I go into a different room just watching it
LOL Looks like something to eat to cats, like a bird!
BattleDude is online now Find More Posts by BattleDude
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:50 AM
mutski
Fairbanks, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,151 Posts
-10 degrees, still flying :D

I got out Wednesday at -10F, my coldest day in the air yet. I wanted to test the Pixim Seawolf I just installed in my EasyStar II and the 1 watt ARGtec booster I tied into my Dx6i. The Pixim was great, even on a dull gray day. My video signal is much improved since I installed ferrite rings and shielded cables.

As for the booster, I didn't notice any range increase. I got frequent signal glitches at about 2000' and a full nose-dive at 2800' Luckily I got the signal back before it hit the ground. Anyway, I flew four enjoyable batteries.

Booster test (0 min 0 sec)

I decided diversity might help with signal glitches, so today I swapped the AR6115 rx for an AR6210. I ground tested the new rx today and noticed the pilot light on the booster wasn't lighting anymore. I removed the booster and did just as well without it. I don't think it ever worked.

I groundtested a 9dbi helical video antenna and a 7dbi patch for the Dx6i. Very noticeable improvement in the video signal, and at 1 mile I could turn both antennas almost 90 degrees to either side and still connect with the plane. I still had crystal clear video at 8300', but not the 180 degree view.

I also tried a 3dbi rubber duckie vs. a 5dbi rubber duckie on the Dx6i. No big dif at a mile - both connected vertical or horizontal with the plane, the 5dbi kept the signal a little better if I faced away from the plane. At 8300', the 3dbi worked either vertical or horizontal. The 5dbi worked only vertical.

I just realized my Dx6i is still set to low power (Euro) for the booster. Hmm, could do slightly better with the USA setting
mutski is offline Find More Posts by mutski
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:17 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,789 Posts
I have the day off and after visiting a family member in the hospital, I am going to go flying. It's supposed to be in the low '70s today and a mild wind, around 5-8 MPH.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:26 AM
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Whoop whoop last minute decision to go out for a fly, little windy I'd say 10mph with some gusts. Was fun fighting with my t28 funfighter against the wind,

Little hairy at times with my PZ T28 only had one battery charged for that, has about an hour total flying. Tomorrow looks similar then more heavy rain so in currently charging some batteries

Rod
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:29 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,022 Posts
It was 16 gusting to 20mph this AM.

I went out flying, but the only one of my planes that could handle that with confidence was the Stryker.

Put a few batteries through and called it a day.

Can't wait to finally see some calmer weather after what seems a month of back to back very breezy days.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:30 AM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
It was 16 gusting to 20mph this AM.

I went out flying, but the only one of my planes that could handle that with confidence was the Stryker.

Put a few batteries through and called it a day.

Can't wait to finally see some calmer weather after what seems a month of back to back very breezy days.
Hear hear

plus it's cold. (not really cold, but Florida cold...)
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:32 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
Hear hear

plus it's cold. (not really cold, but Florida cold...)
'Zactly! We usually at least sit/stand around and bench race a bit if it's too windy, but today everyone just wanted to get going back to the house. Fortunately, it should rapidly climb into the 70s in the afternoon.... if only the wind would also take a break at the same time....
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob