HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:28 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
Here in Fairbanks we've been hovering around 40-50F... below zero It's supposed to warm up to positive numbers this week, but I don't have anything to fly anyway.
Yeah, it got down to -38 F in my hometown here in MN last week. Didn't get above zero for a number of days, either. I happened to be up there at the time. I brought a couple planes & helis, but didn't get any RC stick-time. However, I did manage to get in a bit of full-scale stick-time. The 172's heater just barely managed to keep it above freezing in the cabin. I'd hate to think how brittle an RC plane or heli would be in -40 F wx. I once shredded the Monocote on the top of the wing while flying an Avistar in -20 F temps. After a few minutes, the ailerons started getting mushy, and I noticed that it was taking more than half-power just to remain airborne. Couldn't figure out what was up, so I brought her in. Landed at half-throttle-plus, and touched-down at nearly cruise speed. To my great surprise, I noticed that the upper wing covering was shredded into ribbons, right along the rib lines (no cap-strips). Looked like it lost a fight with a bobcat. That was my last -20 F RC flight.

Yesterday's forecast called for +37 F & 3-5 MPH winds. I was looking forward to trying my new Hyp 240 3s pack in my Sbach 3D after getting back from the deep-freeze that we call Warroad. Perfect time to head to the club field, after not being able to fly outdoors for nearly a month. Or, so I thought. Woke up Monday morning to 3-4" of fresh fluff, along with freezing rain. So much for testing the Sbach with my new Hyp 240 3s pack. It's supposed to hit +37 F today, with 7-15 MPH winds. Might get in a few backyard flights with the 130X, and maybe an ROS flight off the fresh fluff with the Carbon Cub on floats.

Losing our indoor spot has given me some serious RC withdrawal symptoms. At least the 3 hours every two weeks was enough to keep Mr Jones away.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:25 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
whichwaysup's Avatar
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
Well I don't know if this is considered an achievement or not.......but here goes.

I bought a multi-rotor (Flame Wheel 450) back in Nov-12....roughly. I had never flown one previous but wanted to try my hand. By Christmas, I had a QAV500 built and I have been flying it FPV and doing some videos etc.
I am loving flying my quads! So much, that my planes have been a little neglected the last 4 weeks.
I have a good grasp on flying my quads. Fast, slow, high, low......blah blah.

BUT......I wanted to attempt flipping and rolling! So today was the day to try.
I took my Flame Wheel to the park before work. It was pretty quiet, not a soul on the park.
I flew about for a bit in GPS and Attitude modes (Naza) and landed for a fresh battery.

I felt courageous and went into full manual mode. A very different flying experience to what I am used to. Got my quad up high and let loose. I did a back flip, then a front flip and then even did two consecutive flips. I was pumped. Then I did some full rolls also, both left and right.
That was friggin cool!!!

Like I said at the beginning, probably not a big deal or accomplishment to most, but I got a kick out of having the nuts to do it, and actually pull it off!

Love this hobby........
Grazer - Congrats. Been experiencing the same euphoria here. I'm a fixed wing guy, but I bought an aerobatic micro copter (Blade nano). I finally got to a point where I can flip it regularly without crashing and even fly it around inverted (usually crashing) . Sometimes you have to get outside your comfort zone to remember the exhileration you felt when you first started in the hobby and every airplane you flew was a quantum leap over the last airplane you flew.
whichwaysup is online now Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:09 AM
Lysdexic I'm
HeeBeeGeeBee's Avatar
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
Well I don't know if this is considered an achievement or not.......but here goes.

I bought a multi-rotor (Flame Wheel 450) back in Nov-12....roughly. I had never flown one previous but wanted to try my hand. By Christmas, I had a QAV500 built and I have been flying it FPV and doing some videos etc.
I am loving flying my quads! So much, that my planes have been a little neglected the last 4 weeks.
I have a good grasp on flying my quads. Fast, slow, high, low......blah blah.

BUT......I wanted to attempt flipping and rolling! So today was the day to try.
I took my Flame Wheel to the park before work. It was pretty quiet, not a soul on the park.
I flew about for a bit in GPS and Attitude modes (Naza) and landed for a fresh battery.

I felt courageous and went into full manual mode. A very different flying experience to what I am used to. Got my quad up high and let loose. I did a back flip, then a front flip and then even did two consecutive flips. I was pumped. Then I did some full rolls also, both left and right.
That was friggin cool!!!

Like I said at the beginning, probably not a big deal or accomplishment to most, but I got a kick out of having the nuts to do it, and actually pull it off!

Love this hobby........
That's awesome Grazer! I just nabbed my DJI Phantom and have a few flights on it, but it will be a while before I go manual on that pup. Congrats man!
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:36 AM
fly 1 day, repair the next 3
Myko's Avatar
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Dec 2012
163 Posts
Too windy for the last week and a half. Really feeling like I need to get out and fly. Hope the wind calms soon. Might just take a balsa off the shelf and fit it to some hardware and slope.
Myko is offline Find More Posts by Myko
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:52 PM
mutski
Fairbanks, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
Expecting 100 to 105 F for next week here. What a contrast!
Grazer - I'm on my way!

C4H10 - It's -9 with a slight breeze, but I can see the clouds moving fast up high. I'm trying to decide if that qualifies...
mutski is offline Find More Posts by mutski
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:01 PM
Diverted by planks
tracknoob's Avatar
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,336 Posts
It was 20 mph for periods this AM, but we still got some flights in. If it's 10 or thereabouts this afternoon, going to try to go out again. I guess I'm happy to have warmth and sun, no rain, around here, even if it is a bit bumpy up there!
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:07 PM
fly 1 day, repair the next 3
Myko's Avatar
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Dec 2012
163 Posts
Just got a short fight in and loved it. Still getting oriented with the controls. Being a beginner sucks.
Myko is offline Find More Posts by Myko
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:12 PM
Dude, get me some ice cream!
Felt_ripper 23's Avatar
United States, MA, Amherst
Joined Apr 2012
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myko View Post
Just got a short fight in and loved it. Still getting oriented with the controls. Being a beginner sucks.
what did you fly?
Felt_ripper 23 is offline Find More Posts by Felt_ripper 23
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:14 PM
Registered User
cwolfe's Avatar
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
2,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myko View Post
Just got a short fight in and loved it. Still getting oriented with the controls. Being a beginner sucks.
Actually thats one of the funnest times.
cwolfe is online now Find More Posts by cwolfe
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:23 PM
fly 1 day, repair the next 3
Myko's Avatar
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Dec 2012
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt_ripper 23 View Post
what did you fly?
I flew my popwing. Today I'm going to bring my Radion Pro. It's sunny here in California. Maybe some thermals.
Myko is offline Find More Posts by Myko
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:24 PM
fly 1 day, repair the next 3
Myko's Avatar
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Dec 2012
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwolfe View Post
Actually thats one of the funnest times.
Funniest times you say!? You must be an investor in glue.
Myko is offline Find More Posts by Myko
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:29 PM
Registered User
cwolfe's Avatar
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
2,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myko View Post
Funniest times you say!? You must be an investor in glue.
LOL! I understand, but I thought the learning to fly,... crashing, repairing was a good time. Now all my model come home with me intact. I usually having no repairs to do. Then your fleet starts growing until there's no more room.
cwolfe is online now Find More Posts by cwolfe
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:30 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
whichwaysup's Avatar
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myko View Post
Funniest times you say!? You must be an investor in glue.
In hindsight, it really is the most fun. At the time though, you are right Myko - it just feels like a lot of broken foam, sticky, gluey fingers, and frustration, interrupted periodically by brief moments of euphoria when the plane actually landed wheels down. . . .
whichwaysup is online now Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:45 PM
Dude, get me some ice cream!
Felt_ripper 23's Avatar
United States, MA, Amherst
Joined Apr 2012
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
In hindsight, it really is the most fun. At the time though, you are right Myko - it just feels like a lot of broken foam, sticky, gluey fingers, and frustration, interrupted periodically by brief moments of euphoria when the plane actually landed wheels down. . . .
Lol ya welcome to noobhood
Felt_ripper 23 is offline Find More Posts by Felt_ripper 23
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:45 PM
Dude, get me some ice cream!
Felt_ripper 23's Avatar
United States, MA, Amherst
Joined Apr 2012
797 Posts
It warmed up to 43F today. Fog everywhere.
Felt_ripper 23 is offline Find More Posts by Felt_ripper 23
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Hobby partz/Nitroplane going out of business ? Dennis Everett HobbyPartz.com 10 Nov 19, 2014 01:30 PM
Alert I'm going to be down and out for hopefully a .............. mtdoramike Trader Talk 15 Jan 09, 2009 06:11 PM
2.4 m Concorde 4 x BL EDF's build thread!!!!!!!!! its going to be BIG Paul DF jet man Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 70 Nov 14, 2008 01:12 AM
Discussion I'm going out now, and may be gone for some time.... flyonline Slope 21 Apr 04, 2008 03:42 AM
Whoops! Well, I'm going to be out of commmison for a while the_canuck Slope 74 Jan 20, 2006 04:59 PM