Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:00 AM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,195 Posts
Too bad he ruined a really cool deed with his horribly foul mouth. To bad for him.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:35 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
For all my flying friends in the northern hemisphere winter weather......5mins from home, I went for a fly over the beach.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:35 AM
United Kingdom, Warrington
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
I went scouting for new places today. Found a new field not as boggy or wet. AND got access to an old disused runway that's been closed for as long as I've been alive. So that'll be good for my planes with wheels. Hopefully get to try it out tomorrow or Wednesday after that weather looks grim -4 and -5 brrrrrr that's cold for us
Mrgeorgedoors is offline Find More Posts by Mrgeorgedoors
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:37 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,959 Posts
I'm going flying......

with a sharper looking JPower P-38 Lightning tomorrow!!!!

How?

Because I stopped off at the local Home Depot today with the battery-hatch in-hand, and let them color match it to a $2.95 jug of 'sample' paint (turns out that their 'sample' size is enough paint to do an entire RC airframe!).

You can see from the hatch picture, the upper red square was me trying to match with whatever on-hand green I had to touch it up. Ugh! Not even close. But the lower half of the second (lower) red square is the paint that they mixed up for me. It does turn out to be more of a matte finish than stock, but other than that, it's a near perfect match!

As you can see from the attached "before" pic taken today after flying my loved but battered $40 RC flea market special, it is certainly long overdue for some paint-based TLC.

So why make this (potentially off-topic?) post here?

To encourage all of you to go to the local Handy Dandy's, Lowe's, or Home Depot near you that has color matching services, and get some touch-up really cheap for your favorite model! We live in an amazing time to be able to enjoy this hobby -- high energy Lipo batteries, brushless motors and controllers, 3-axis gyros, high tech manufacturing, low labor costs in China, high tech radio gear, etc, etc, etc, and now you can add to that the ability to instantly and perfectly match even the most arcane color (even if it's been weathered!) on your model, and get it for less than 5 bucks per color!

Do it!

tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:53 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,371 Posts
Quote:
For all my flying friends in the northern hemisphere winter weather......5mins from home, I went for a fly over the beach.
Nobody likes you, Grazer. You can just take all your warm weather, sandy beaches, and bikini-clad women and go... Somewhere else, dammit

Really, though, that looks lovely right now. In 24 hours I'll be en route back to Fairbanks where it's a balmy 36 degrees ABOVE zero due to cloud cover, but it will soon be dropping far negative once the sky clears up. I normally quite enjoy the cold, but a nice beach like yours looks like just the place to sit and maybe float my Hawk Sky around for a few hours.

Quote:
So why make this (potentially off-topic?) post here?
... Because it's an excellent tip and those of us who didn't know are all the better for it now I was raised under the wings of the BOC; "off-topic" has a very, very, very loose definition in my book. Very nice job on the paint, by the way. Looks excellent.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:36 PM
Hold my beer, now watch this!
United States, IL, Schaumburg
Joined Dec 2012
158 Posts
I have been flying my park flyers out here in the Chicagoland and having fun flying with frozen fingers. The temp 22 to 30 degrees and they batteries are a bit warmer. What would be the coldest you can fly before it would affect the LiPo and servos?
Burner147 is offline Find More Posts by Burner147
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:48 PM
mutski
Fairbanks, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,134 Posts
Hey Burner - I've been thinking it's the new FPV gear that eats the battery on my EasyStar II. My flight times went from 25-30 minutes late summer to 12 minutes or so in December and January, flying between 0 and -10 degrees F. I was sure it was the Vtx. Yesterday the temp was up to 28, and I had it up for 19 minutes, so I guess the problem has been the cold. That's with a 3S 2200mah Turnigy battery. My servos work fine down to -10, but fingers start to suffer! My greatest worry in the cold is cracking the insulation on the wiring. I change batteries in the car when I can, and move the wires as little as possible. I've had to replace an aileron servo wire and the video cable for my DVR, but the connections to the batteries have held up.
mutski is offline Find More Posts by mutski
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:57 PM
Hold my beer, now watch this!
United States, IL, Schaumburg
Joined Dec 2012
158 Posts
Did u notice batteries warmer after flight? It hard to tell if they warmer or my hand just frozen and it feels hot. Just worried about burning out batteries. I know the ESC loves the cold weather. Can't find anything in manuals.
Burner147 is offline Find More Posts by Burner147
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:04 PM
mutski
Fairbanks, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,134 Posts
I'm gaining confidence with FPV. Yesterday I flew my EasyStarII 873 feet up and 3400 feet away - max up and sideways for me so far! That's with a 600mw 5.8ghz Immersion Vtx, Fatshark Predator glasses, Spironet antennas, Dx6i controller, Ar6115 rx and DORA for RSSI. I had solid video except when the plane passed directly overhead.

I could have flown higher, but I was getting RSSI glitches at a distance of around 3000'. I don't think the Dx6i will reach much further without an antenna upgrade. I have a 7db patch antenna to stick on the controller.

Jan 13 Goldstream Valley (9 min 0 sec)

Dx6i range (2 min 16 sec)
mutski is offline Find More Posts by mutski
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:35 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
Quote:
Nobody likes you, Grazer. You can just take all your warm weather, sandy beaches, and bikini-clad women and go... Somewhere else, dammit
Too funny! Happy to share the weather, sandy beaches but I keep the bikini-clad women. Mahahahaha! They are mine, all mine!!!
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:41 PM
Dude, get me some ice cream!
United States, MA, Amherst
Joined Apr 2012
797 Posts
Nice day. I messed around on the UM t28 for warm up, then I put the UMX stryker through some aeros: Snap rolls, harriers, and inverted flat spins.

Then I FINALLY maidened the PZ F4U-A1. I like it. Its not as fast as I thought it would be, but it's not too slow either. Definitely more aerobatic then I thought, so I flicked to low rates. One thing that's annoying about it is that it really needs prop wash. The tail surfaces barely respond with the motor off, and it slows down pretty quick. All in all, it flies nice, like you would expect with a PZ model. It doesn't do that weird tail-dragging thing that some corsairs do on aileron-only turns.

I managed to nose it over on the landing One of the drop tanks came off. Oh well,YOLO. A little epoxy and It will be good as new
Felt_ripper 23 is offline Find More Posts by Felt_ripper 23
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:10 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
Calm variable wisps of wind today in Chicago area. Sometimes good for flying but noticed my planes started to fly tail down making landings a bit weird...
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:08 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,730 Posts
mutski - love the vids! I'm working on getting a realtime FPV rig myself! Until then, it's recorded video for this guy

Here's two from lunch time today with 808 #16.

DSM Ladybird:

Walkera Ladybird V2 (2 min 10 sec)

Edge 540QQ

Edge011513 (0 min 0 sec)
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:29 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
Calm variable wisps of wind today in Chicago area. Sometimes good for flying but noticed my planes started to fly tail down making landings a bit weird...
Which plane?
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:18 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
Rain rain go away . . . .

Three full days of it, and no sign of stopping. I'm thinking its a good thing that my flying area is on TOP of a hill, because at this rate, I'm already gonna need floats to fly. I hope Noah's got that Ark finished . . . .
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings