HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:03 AM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,380 Posts
Stunning videos Grazer. I've been drooling over a quad. Youv'e made it just that much worse I might have to dig in the pocket and spring for one. Thanks for sharing
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:08 AM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutski View Post
My FPV landings are improving. Note to Turboparker - impact didn't shut off the cam, just buried in snow! Nice clips yourself. Looks like you use the motor to get up, then glide on thermals? My landings in sequence:
Is there no way to turn off goggles when coming in for a landing ? so your landing with LOS ? Looks mighty COLD out there !!
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:11 AM
Dude, get me some ice cream!
United States, MA, Amherst
Joined Apr 2012
797 Posts
Hey Shell,

Who makes the GeeBee in your avatar? Is it good?
Felt_ripper 23 is offline Find More Posts by Felt_ripper 23
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:15 AM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt_ripper 23 View Post
Hey Shell,

Who makes the GeeBee in your avatar? Is it good?
It's the 63" Gee Bee Y Senior Sporster by Hobby Lobby. It's discontinued . It's a hoot to fly but getting it on the ground is a little tough I want me one of those Corsairs! Between you and Grazer, my pocket is burning!
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:20 AM
Joined Apr 2012
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeeBeeGeeBee View Post
It's the 63" Gee Bee Y Senior Sporster by Hobby Lobby. It's discontinued . It's a hoot to fly but getting it on the ground is a little tough I want me one of those Corsairs! Between you and Grazer, my pocket is burning!
Thats a shame. Anyway, I'll tell you how the maiden of the corsair goes.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:23 AM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt_ripper 23 View Post
Thats a shame. Anyway, I'll tell you how the maiden of the corsair goes.
Looking forward to it !
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:50 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,669 Posts
You (northern) guys are making me feel a bit inadequate. It's been 30-40 degrees here and I've been hunkering down inside flying the tail booms off of my Nano and MSRx birds. Just too cold to go out and fly "real" stuff. Yes, I am a wimp.

My son got a HZ Super cub from Santa and I was a little nervous that it might be a bit too much for a 7 year old. Luckily, I got my DX5 back from my dad so I was able to buddy box him for the first few flights. To my surprise, his second flight he handled start to finish - took off, did a bunch of laps around, then landed it better than his old man could have! He's still got some work to do before I'll remove the trainer cord, mostly learning how to dig himself out of something unexpected, but his daddy is a proud man.

I got out and flew the Dynam Sbach a few times and am getting decent at hovering it. Did I mention how much I like that plane? Took it out with a buddy who had his Eflite UMX Sbach 3D and I got into a hover and held it long enough for him to join me. He flies right up the back end of my plane and gets STUCK there! IT was hillarious. I was laughing so hard watching parts of his Sbach come off that I ended up crashing mine too. His was totalled, mine only had a bent landing gear. In spite of the destruction, it was about the funniest thing I've ever seen. I SO wish i'd gotten it on video!
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:14 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,541 Posts
Quote:
Stunning videos Grazer. I've been drooling over a quad. Youv'e made it just that much worse I might have to dig in the pocket and spring for one. Thanks for sharing
Thanks HBGB. Yeh, never thought I would get into multirotor to be honest. Now I have yet another addiction.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:19 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,541 Posts
Oh and Happy New Year all. Just clicked over to 2013 in my location.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:35 AM
United States, NE, Kearney
Joined Dec 2011
2,232 Posts
I've done very little flying the past couple weeks. A cold air mass moved into Nebraska and will not leave.

I finished a small scratch electric version of a cross between a Jr Falcon and a Wizard. It's a 4 servo, 4 channel flying at about 150 watts. I test flew it a week ago in 11 degree weather and immediately parked it after a 90 second flight (my hands got so cold so quickly!). I got out yesterday in 32 degree weather and did a couple more tuning flights on it and got it to where I am more than pleased with it.

I also finished the E-Fair 1.5 meter powered sailplane from HobbyKing. The website recommended a 400 size motor; I bought a Firepower 400 "Zoom" from HeadsUp-RC.
The motor didn't fit well and I spent hours with a Dremel working it into position only to have it instantly tear the firewall off the plane upon the first powered test.
The second firewall stayed in place about 30 seconds longer until it disintegrated (split the 1/16th aircraft ply apart!).
I made a third firewall from 1/8th" aircraft ply which was strong enough to "hold" the powerful motor (with a 9x4, APC-E prop on 3 cells, it made 190 watts!). I set the throttle endpoint to 100 watts, and left well enough alone.
I test flew that plane too... I am pretty sure 75 watts would be more than enough to fly the sailplane competently.
So... 2 more planes added to the fleet.

I now have a wood kit, Jerry's Little Boy on the board. It's a 4-1/2 lb design from the now defunct Morris Hobbies. I'm shooting for about 1000 watts to make it snappy and agile on the 700 inch wing.

After that come a 1/4 scale Corben Baby Ace that I'll revert from a model-D to a model-C. It'll serve as an IMAA legal plane plus scale entry for events.

Then comes an Ultra-Sport 60 that I'll make into a tail dragger with retracts. While building that, I'll duplicate the wing and scratch build a Kaos to fit it.

Last is a Wing Mfg short kit, HP-200 project. It too will be IMAA legal and will soak up a big chunk of cash to get powered up to around 2000 watts.

So, for now, "I'm Going Flying" means little than testing new birds to get them de-bugged and put away ready for warmer weather.
DustBen is offline Find More Posts by DustBen
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:40 PM
Joined Apr 2012
797 Posts
All right...tommorow is the clubs new year fly-in. If they have the snow packed down, I will hit it with everything I got: UM T28, MPXT, both Strykers, and I'm gonna maiden the new corsair

If it's not packed down, and everybody is using skiis...then never mind. It's still nice to go though.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:48 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,806 Posts
Which club? I was thinkin of checking out the Wintonbury CT fly in tomorrow if i can.
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:17 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,723 Posts
Mutski,

Now I get it! She buried herself pretty good, there! That's one thing I like about flying off snow....it's usually much more forgiving than other surfaces. Regarding my flights - yeah, the RP is a thermal duration ship, so I just take her up @ WOT & then glide back down. I caught a bit of lift during the first clip, but the air was dead during the second clip. Even without lift, the RP will stay up for awhile. I'm using an 808 #16 cam, so the weight & drag penalties are minimal.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:40 PM
Joined Apr 2012
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRacer View Post
Which club? I was thinkin of checking out the Wintonbury CT fly in tomorrow if i can.
Hampshire county rc

Pretty big club

We're having a fly in tomorrow too

http://www.hampshirecountyrc.org/
Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:42 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,723 Posts
Indoor flying today

We had our New Year's Eve indoor-fly today. Here are a couple clips of me flying the UMX Carbon Cub indoors. This plane is a blast to fly, and it behaves just like Cub should - despite its diminutive size.

Flying low & slow with & without the flaps. Notice that the UM Champ outruns me when I extend the flaps. At 4:30, I get hit by a big EDF delta:

UMX Carbon Cub Indoors + midair (10 min 34 sec)

Flying just barely above stall-speed with the flaps fully extended:

UMX Carbon Cub - flying just above stall with full-flaps (8 min 57 sec)

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member