HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:10 AM
United Kingdom, Warrington
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Little chilly today sun shining and just gone 9am hoping to get out very shortly and maiden my t28 I've rebuilt
Mrgeorgedoors is offline Find More Posts by Mrgeorgedoors
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:00 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutski View Post
Turboparker - I've been waiting for the temperature to RISE to -6 so I can go out flying! It's been -30s and -40s here, finally above zero today but I'm in the fire station for Christmas. Tomorrow if it's not too windy....
Mutski,

I've always wanted to visit the Fairbanks area. My dad flew P-38s up there after WWII & told me lots of stories about what it was like. With only about 5 hours of daylight, I'd think that your RC flying hours would be quite limited this time of year. On the other hand, your long flying days during the summer must be nice! Do you guys also have an indoor spot? What's the coldest wx you've flown in?

Growing up 5 miles south of the Canadian border in MN, I am very familiar with -40s, and even -50s on occasion - but not until February. Down here near Minneapolis, it rarely gets colder than -35 F, so it seems warm in comparison to my hometown. I've flown in -15 F temps on calm days, but I am not that hard-core anymore!

It's up to a balmy +5 F, with zero wind. Time for a morning flight in the yard!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:15 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,576 Posts
Mutski, are you at the UAF campus fire station? I've walked by there almost every day since August I'm home on break right now but I'll be heading back up around the middle of January when school starts up again. Might try to sneak my mCX in its case into my luggage on the way back for some dorm fun...

Where do you fly in the Fairbanks area?
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:49 PM
mutski
United States, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,200 Posts
C4H10 - I'm at Chena-Goldstream Fire & Rescue. I've been tuning up my EasyStar at the soccer fields on Davis Rd, then behind Murphy Dome when I'm feeling confident. I fly helis at the Kunkel Ctr on Goldstream Rd, but not since the weather turned cold.
mutski is offline Find More Posts by mutski
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:35 AM
mutski
United States, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,200 Posts
Turboparker - Flying time is definitely limited. Sunrise 11:02 am, sunset 2:45 pm, so not quite four hours of daylight and the sun barely clears the horizon. I've been waiting two weeks for suitable weather. It's been in the -30s and 40s forever. Today the temp finally rose to -8F with no wind. I ran two batteries through my EasyStar to adjust the trim after installing GPS, OSD and a belly hatch. It still flies nicely, but with cold and dark and limited room to land, I stuck to direct visual flying - no FPV. The sun actually pierced the clouds on the second battery, but by then my Keychain camera was stuffed with snow, so no video. Too bad, it was pretty with orange sun on the snow!
EasyStar II winter flight.avi (2 min 10 sec)
mutski is offline Find More Posts by mutski
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:36 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,544 Posts
Very hot again today. It's now 5.30pm and its still 37C!

Took out my new QAV500 quad this morning for the maiden flight. Flew so well with great video. Took the Flame Wheel 450 for a spin too.

Then collected my MUS and some aerobatic fun with that until the temp was too unbearable.

All taken home safe in one piece. Considering it is going to be a warm night, a night fly is on the cards, wind dependent.

Fingers crossed.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:59 AM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
Not going out flying - but staying in

Almost alone on work today, so I've been doing touch'n go's on the tables in the big meeting room all morning with my christmas gift - a Mini Vapor
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:34 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
3,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiWE View Post
Not going out flying - but staying in

Almost alone on work today, so I've been doing touch'n go's on the tables in the big meeting room all morning with my christmas gift - a Mini Vapor
How do you like that thing? Is it true it can fly in a living room?
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:55 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,941 Posts
WWIU - I got one for Christmas... I think I can answer that by saying all I am thinking about right now is going home and flying around my living room! It's a fun fun fun little plane.. I do circuits trhough my living room and dining room as they are joined together.. I land/take off from a 2' x 3' coffee table. I went to LHS and bought seven batteries because it sucked flying for 5 mins and charging for 30+!! Going to LHSin a few mins to get parallel charging cable so I can charge all at same time.

Yes. You can fly in small room. I flew in spare bedroom 10x10 with no probs. Even doing figure 8's in the room. I love it.
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:19 PM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
How do you like that thing? Is it true it can fly in a living room?
TurboRacer has already answered this one, but I'd like to chime in on the praise

I flew it in a quite large room (approx 25x25ft) with a column in the middle, but I had no problem staying within one quarter of that area - doing figure eights, and takeoff/landings on all the tables in the room. Being a conference room, it was quite full of tables - limiting the available space height wise, but that was no problem whatsoever

It was very stable, and no problem to slow down and fly around with a nose high attitude... With the nose high, I was able to fly in circles less than a couple of feet in diameter

I absolutely love it - makes the long dark winter in Norway a bit more bearable
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRacer View Post
WWIU - I got one for Christmas... I think I can answer that by saying all I am thinking about right now is going home and flying around my living room! It's a fun fun fun little plane.. I do circuits trhough my living room and dining room as they are joined together.. I land/take off from a 2' x 3' coffee table. I went to LHS and bought seven batteries because it sucked flying for 5 mins and charging for 30+!! Going to LHSin a few mins to get parallel charging cable so I can charge all at same time.

Yes. You can fly in small room. I flew in spare bedroom 10x10 with no probs. Even doing figure 8's in the room. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiWE View Post
TurboRacer has already answered this one, but I'd like to chime in on the praise

I flew it in a quite large room (approx 25x25ft) with a column in the middle, but I had no problem staying within one quarter of that area - doing figure eights, and takeoff/landings on all the tables in the room. Being a conference room, it was quite full of tables - limiting the available space height wise, but that was no problem whatsoever

It was very stable, and no problem to slow down and fly around with a nose high attitude... With the nose high, I was able to fly in circles less than a couple of feet in diameter

I absolutely love it - makes the long dark winter in Norway a bit more bearable
Great - just what I needed - ANOTHER airplane on the list!! Been smashing . . . er, flying, my Nano down in the basement. At this rate, it won't make it to see 2013. Maybe the Mayans were right.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:19 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
9,105 Posts
i thought of your username today, whichwaysup. was flying inverted and almost made my t-28 kiss the runway at one point. wasn't fun.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:22 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3,133 Posts
That's the same plane that I earned my username on - A nice take off, followed by a nice, half victory roll, an unexpected gust of wind, a little panic attack, and full back elevator . . . and then a dust cloud.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:19 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,506 Posts
Flew my FMS 1400mm Corsair, F-22 Yardbird, Edge QQ, and would have flown a bunch more in this PERFECT south Florida weather (been a long time coming!) except that my Xmitter lipo alarm went off.

I'm home now charging the xmtr batt, as well as all my other batt packs, so I can do an afternoon flying session. It might even get calm enough to add my Twisted Hobbies Crack Pitts to the mix.

Life is good!
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:29 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
9,519 Posts
It's windy and cold here in Orlando. What part of S Fl?
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick