HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:35 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jan 2011
3,993 Posts
Flew today, there was some good and bad.

The good- not too chilly, and we had burgers at the club today for lunch!
Also flew my big beech staggerwing some, it did just fine.

The bad-It was super windy, so it was a little challenging to fly anything less than the 30lb Staggerwing.

The crunchy:
My radio went into a weird hold mode and my extra 300 had a really hard landing. I checked the rx, not a brown-out (still had a solid light). I need new landing gear now :/
Calling spektrum now, I need to find out if there was a recall on it.
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:26 PM
OEF 10-11
United States, NC, Taylorsville
Joined Oct 2012
219 Posts
I went flying today at my flying spot. Had a random guy stop by and check everything out, then outta nowhere 7 kids and a parent came out and was super impressed with my wizard, and the kids where dazzled by it and where chasing it as I flew lol.

It was windy but a great day.
new user is offline Find More Posts by new user
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:56 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Well, I went flying today and God was my PILOT, not co-pilot!! Itried my hand at a Stinger 64mm Sport jet again after my 1st try 4 months ago ended in a 22 second flight and extinction event! Well I bought a new one and went out a little while ago in perfect weather today again having studied very intensely. As soon as I launched it I knew it was over, but somehow inverted 1/2" over grass, knife edged, doing all this 3D flying like a schizophrenic bumble bee, I got her pointed to the blue sky and as I forgot to program any expo or low rates had one hell of a flight. Since I knew that this would be my final flight I decided to go for it and see what a jet can do ..WOW. this thing was fast and just a 1/2mm on the sticks would do BIG things. After 5 min. I figured I would try to bring her in without falling out of the sky, hell, I've never flown a jet! Slowed her down a bit after my final turn way off making a slow decent making a very good belly landing! Never again!!!!! It's in the classifieds. Next will be my NIB E-Flite BAe hawk15, the jet I was training for, I'll stick to my big Pawnee and Pitts, I thought I was gonna have another BIG ONE!!!!!! Dave/Z
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:00 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
Hey Zeezee, your Stinger story inspired me to order one. That's the type of experience I thrive on! Order placed with HK today.

It was VERY windy here all day. A mate of mine invited me to join him and his mate for some slope soaring on the coast. I went and did some spectating. Sometimes it's nice to just watch and see other people fly, learn stuff. And always keen on a yarn with good folks.

Then late later on, despite the windy conditions another mate met with me to demo his DJI Flame Wheel 450. I thought he was crazy flying in the conditions but that quad is amazing! I ordered one last week on his reccommendation, which my Missus kindly paid for (what an amazing woman) and it arrives tomorrow according to the parcel tracking.
The Naza equipped quad performs so well. My buddy even gave me some stick time!
This will be a new challenge for me, but I reckon I will learn the skills quick enough.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:59 AM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
took the twisted hobbies edge 540 out,and the big super sky surfer with its new upgrade motor and 9x5 apc E prop. that thing will climb straight up now,and glides like an eagle, way to much fun today ! Getting where i can slow the edge down and do some 3d stuff now
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:52 PM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Took the new RTF Condor out for it's maiden today and was delighted in it's performance. No wind and it flew about 200' on 5-6 tries. Great plane waiting on a powerup micromini electric power system to put on some of these......ZZ
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:00 AM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Spektrum weirdness

Endless, my DX6i went into a different mode the other day...throttle was activated by elevator stick!!! Throttle stick was rudder!! Unhooked everything tried to replicate but couldn't get a repeat. All the vets at the field are Futaba guys. Sometimes, I worry...ZeeZee/Dave
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:40 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,747 Posts
I flew both Saturday and Sunday this past weekend here in SoCal and had an absolute blast. The wind was calm and the temperature was in the 70's. I maidened my new AXN powered glider and was amazed at how she flew. The plane can float and is wickedly fast as well. I went through all my batteries for my large planes as well as for my micros. All in all, a great day with no incidents to speak of.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:45 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,731 Posts
Got my Sbach and 12 batteries charged up for lunch time.

My Edge 540QQ should be here tomorrow, will be maidening that tomorrow!
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:03 AM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,367 Posts
Was flying yesterday (what a beautiful day) with some friends. I was flying MUS's with a member from here and we were having a blast when I flew through the sun and was temporarily blinded. I could see the plane going nuts but was unable to tell orientation and I said "oh Lord help me". At that moment, I caught orientation and pulled the elevator back at about 2 feet off the ground and was back in the air once again. Thank ya Lord! Also, thanking that I didn't take out my buddy's plane in the process Yet another great day at the club field with great friends...it just doesn't get any better.
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:31 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
6,942 Posts
flew with gloves for the first time this morning. was weird at first but worthwhile. and i could actually feel my fingers when i took 'em off to swap batts.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:29 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
Curses, foiled AGAIN!

Flew at the field this Saturday. WX called for 5-10 and 55 degrees. WX was wrong. We showed up at the field and it started blowing 10+ and the temp felt more like freezing. Had the big Sbach w/ me, along with it's shiny new cowling. Almost put the cowling on, but then thought twice about it since I'm still getting used to the plane. I figured if I crash, at least I'll still have the cowling!

Well, 3.5 batteries later, I was having a ball with it. Hovering, high alpha passes, flat spins - and I simply couldn't believe how much power this thing has. 1/4 throttle feels like more than enough, and only a click or two for landing.

All was going so very well . . . And then . . . disaster (again). . . .

3.5 batteries in, I came in for a touch and go. Kissed the ground, could hardly tell when it touched down. Throttled up, up she went, and then she began a nice slow arc - straight for the ground.. Gave more backstick and more throttle, but that only accelerated the problem, dropped the throttle, more backstick, more backstick, full backstick - and now the descent was more like an approach, but she was losing altitude too fast. I brought her around, and down she went right next to the runway. Ripped the landing gear off (again), and found the motor mount loose. I also found that the control horn to the elevator had broken off. Aside from that, no damage.

I say found, because upon examination of the crash, I suspect the following:
- Since the original (reversed aileron) crash, I suspect that the motor mount has been getting increasingly loose. The foam behind it was broken, so there wasn't as much support as I thought, and this puppy has a lot of power.
- That caused the downthrust, and the broken control horn caused the lack of elevator response. How I was able to get any response, I don't know, but I'm thanking my lucky stars.

Anyway, I'm building a new motor mount for it and replacing ALL of the control horns, so she will fly again!
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:31 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,371 Posts
Quote:
flew with gloves for the first time this morning. was weird at first but worthwhile. and i could actually feel my fingers when i took 'em off to swap batts
I bought some interesting gloves here that I think might work for flying. They're lined with some sort of fleece (real or artificial... can't tell) and the outside is solid neoprene rubber. They allow much more dexterity than regular "puffy" gloves, but much more warmth than other similarly thin ones. I like them. They're starting to hit their limit down in the -20F range, but for daily winter temps back home in MN they'll be as warm as anything.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:37 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
I bought some interesting gloves here that I think might work for flying. They're lined with some sort of fleece (real or artificial... can't tell) and the outside is solid neoprene rubber. They allow much more dexterity than regular "puffy" gloves, but much more warmth than other similarly thin ones. I like them. They're starting to hit their limit down in the -20F range, but for daily winter temps back home in MN they'll be as warm as anything.
Hey C4 - welcome back to the thread! i'd be interested in any info on those gloves - I've been looking for something that might work. Virginia is a wee bit warmer in the wintertime than AK (from what I hear), so yours may be overkill, but I'd like to get more info if you'll share.

I hate cold thumbs. I hate cold fingers. I hate misbehaving airplanes. And I REALLY hate wind.

And Saturday i got my fill of all of those things.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:37 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
6,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
do you have a link?
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl