HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:07 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,672 Posts
Just talked to the LHS. They have the new UMX Sbach 342 3D in - and they're holding it for me

YAHHHOOOOO!!!
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:24 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,077 Posts
Gonna hit the local park in about 20 minutes with the Crack Pitts, and my buddy will bring his refurbed MiniSwift.

Winds look to be 10 gusting to 15, so should be interesting!
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:28 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,672 Posts
Same here - except we're 15-20. Was hoping to try out the new Sbach, but I think it may have to wait till tomorrow a.m.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:09 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,541 Posts
Managed a 33min FPV flight before work today. I got my Skywalker down on the deck and the wind started up. Love the early mornings.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:21 AM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,335 Posts
Don't have to be back to work till next Monday, and of course the weather is just not going to cooperate. Double digit winds, overcast and a few days of rain. Till monday of course, then it's supposed to be sunny and 8mph. I'm sure there will be a window or two between now and then, just have to be ready when the wind dies down a bit.
In the mean time I placed the order this morning for the new TopFlite GS FW-190 ARF and retracts. Now I need to get busy and finally finish the 60 size Corsair to make room on the build table.
V2rider is online now Find More Posts by V2rider
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:10 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,890 Posts
temperatures been vacillating here in socal. was freezing yesterday morning while flying my cub and then baking a few hours later. cold this morning too with the spit but a bit better dressed. one of these days our weather will make up its mind.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:12 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,911 Posts
Wow, cmdl, it was around 61 degrees this AM around 6 here in San Diego.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:49 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,890 Posts
yeah, i need to switch back to afternoon flying. i switched to mornings due to the summer heat but now i'm risking turning into a popsicle. years ago when i lived in NY this was t-shirt weather for me. not any more.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:14 AM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,335 Posts
39 degrees and no wind at the moment. Sounds like flying weather to me. Have to start a fire when I get to the field to warm hands between flights, but there was plenty of wood there the last time I was out.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:07 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,672 Posts
Mornin', Noon, and Night!

Man, what a great flying day yesterday. I picked up the new SBACH 3D Monday night so, of course, I have had a burning desire to do nothing but fly it.

Snuck out yesterday morning for the maiden and everything went great - what an AMAZING aircraft. Rolls like a drill bit (on low rates, not been brave enough for high rates). 2nd flight almost ended in disaster - still not sure what happened, but was WAY up high and over a busy street when I lost control of it and watched it go spiralling down. I thought it was a gonner, but 30 feet or so above the street, I regained control and brought her in. No issues since, thankfully! Ended up getting out for 3 batteries at noon, and then ended the day with 4 more batteris through it. AWESOME plane!

Here'st the video of that infamous 2nd flight if you're interested!
Sbach 342 3d 2nd flight, loss of control at 448 (4 min 49 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:48 AM
Suspended Account
Switzerland
Joined Aug 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V2rider View Post
39 degrees and no wind at the moment. Sounds like flying weather to me. Have to start a fire when I get to the field to warm hands between flights, but there was plenty of wood there the last time I was out.
I modified some old gloves so they would fit hand warmers inside. I also cut the finger tips off so I can control my plane. Works great, and I never have to warm up my hands. I keep hand warmers in my pockets to keep my bare finger tips warm too. Things are cold over here already!
mikhail tupulov is offline Find More Posts by mikhail tupulov
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:46 PM
Dude, get me some ice cream!
United States, MA, Amherst
Joined Apr 2012
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Man, what a great flying day yesterday. I picked up the new SBACH 3D Monday night so, of course, I have had a burning desire to do nothing but fly it.

Snuck out yesterday morning for the maiden and everything went great - what an AMAZING aircraft. Rolls like a drill bit (on low rates, not been brave enough for high rates). 2nd flight almost ended in disaster - still not sure what happened, but was WAY up high and over a busy street when I lost control of it and watched it go spiralling down. I thought it was a gonner, but 30 feet or so above the street, I regained control and brought her in. No issues since, thankfully! Ended up getting out for 3 batteries at noon, and then ended the day with 4 more batteris through it. AWESOME plane!

Here'st the video of that infamous 2nd flight if you're interested!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dTEphf1S8I&feature=plcp
I might get one! You think I could handle it? I'm bored sick of the Um T28
Felt_ripper 23 is offline Find More Posts by Felt_ripper 23
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:01 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhail tupulov View Post
I modified some old gloves so they would fit hand warmers inside. I also cut the finger tips off so I can control my plane. Works great, and I never have to warm up my hands. I keep hand warmers in my pockets to keep my bare finger tips warm too. Things are cold over here already!
It actually started to warm up a bit by the time I got to the field so no fire needed today. I have tried the glove thing and it just doesn't help much as it's the tips of my fingers that go first. I have a ton of the hand warmers here though so I'll just have to throw some in the car and be ready.
Great morning here for flying. Got another 5 flights in on the new PZ Corsair and 4 more on the H9 P-51. Hard to believe it was just me and one other guy at the field this morning. Best weather in a week and nobody was out.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:05 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,379 Posts
The original Sbach had a reputation for bad Rx antenna placement which could affect the range.
Maybe this has the same problem?

Do you have your Tx antenna set to 90degrees?
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:53 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt_ripper 23 View Post
I might get one! You think I could handle it? I'm bored sick of the Um T28
A lot of that depends on what else you fly besides the UM T28, and how much risk you are willing to take. The sBach is FAST, and goes exactly where you point it (whether you mean to or not!), and doesn't self correct. It also needs a fair amount of space. Landing it still puts my heart in my mouth and I actually cracked the prop yesterday learning to get it right.

Having said all that, it slows down to a crawl thanks to the Gyro. Could you handle the Sbach? The answer is that you probably, could. Take some time to read up on the thread - I would read both the Sbach 3D thread and the original Sbach threads - lots of good pointers there!
RCG Plus Member