HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:23 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
5,015 Posts
Went flying yesterday with a good friend from Chula Vista. I put 5 planes us, PZ T-28 Trojan, HZ Super Cub, Ares Gamma 370, FZ Focke-Wulf FW 190, and Tower Hobbies F4U Corsair. I crashed the FW 190 and stuck the Corsair in a tree. The FW 190 broke the motor mount, but nothing I can't fix and the Corsair was retrieved with no damage. For the life of me I can't seem to line up the Corsair for a landing on the runway! Well, The FW190 was way off CG as I tried to use a larger than stock battery. Oh well, she'll fly again, I just have to bite the bullet and get the stock Flyzone battery, at least 2 of them .................at $40 bucks a pop minimum............................(sigh) The stock FZ battery is a rather odd size and I haven't been able to locate any suitable and cheaper replacement. The dimensions are 3.6 in lenght (90.5mm) 1.2 in in width (30mm) and .94 in deep (24mm). I anyone has seen or replaced the stock battery for their Flyzone planes let me know.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:42 AM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
Went flying yesterday with a good friend from Chula Vista. I put 5 planes us, PZ T-28 Trojan, HZ Super Cub, Ares Gamma 370, FZ Focke-Wulf FW 190, and Tower Hobbies F4U Corsair. I crashed the FW 190 and stuck the Corsair in a tree. The FW 190 broke the motor mount, but nothing I can't fix and the Corsair was retrieved with no damage. For the life of me I can't seem to line up the Corsair for a landing on the runway! Well, The FW190 was way off CG as I tried to use a larger than stock battery. Oh well, she'll fly again, I just have to bite the bullet and get the stock Flyzone battery, at least 2 of them .................at $40 bucks a pop minimum............................(sigh) The stock FZ battery is a rather odd size and I haven't been able to locate any suitable and cheaper replacement. The dimensions are 3.6 in lenght (90.5mm) 1.2 in in width (30mm) and .94 in deep (24mm). I anyone has seen or replaced the stock battery for their Flyzone planes let me know.
Bigger batteries can usually be run in these things by doing one of two things, or a bit of both. Figure where the battery needs to be for the correct cg and start cutting out foam to let it sit there, or just add some weight to offset the pack. Usually changing just the battery can be fixed by removing foam. If you do a motor swap sometimes it takes a bit of both. My PZ T-28 and P-51 both run a P-15 on 4s 3200ma packs. T-28 didn't take any additional weight. I couldn't go any further back in the Mustang though and had to add an oz in the tail to get it back to cg.
V2rider is offline Find More Posts by V2rider
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:28 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
5,015 Posts
Yes, I did that, removing foam and checking the CG. The biggest issue I think is that the FZ FW 190 has the battery compartment molded in so that the battery is standing straight up vertically any other battery is too tall for the battery cover to fit over it.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:01 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,873 Posts
Yesterday was an awesome flying day. 3-4 planes up at once, crystal clear skies, no wind. Thought I was gonna get to fly my Spacewalker in formation with another one someone else brought but it was not to be. He took off first, then I botched my takeoff and ended up in the weeds off the runway for no damage. While I was bringing mine back up to the runway I heard the other Spacewalker hit the ground and it was out for the count. Second takeoff was fine and flew mine a few times without incident
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:48 PM
Dude, get me some ice cream!
United States, MA, Amherst
Joined Apr 2012
797 Posts
Just got back from the club. Great day. One of the guys brought a whole fricking DJ system and flew his 100cc beast to a music schedule. Lots of people at the club. Some people pranked one of the pilot's six year old son: they gave him a Tx and told him to fly a 450 size helo. His Tx was not acctually paired with the helo. There was a guy hiding in a corner flying, but the kid thought he was flying it. Another guy was next to him, going "wow, you're a natural" and stuff like that. Now he considers himself a pro

I love my club
Felt_ripper 23 is offline Find More Posts by Felt_ripper 23
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:42 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,506 Posts
already had the morning session ar regular venue, but since it was rain-shortened, thinking about heading to local park for some Crack Pitts action!

I am so ready for cooler & drier weather!
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:07 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,941 Posts
I'm flying my B3D till I can't repair it with tape anymore. hahaa... I decided to order an Sbach airframe and do the guts swap over. I have the B3D running on 3S and the power is nuts... I want it in the Sbach

So I'm flying the B3D as hard as possible till it's too busted to repair. Today I lost a landing gear wheel and busted the nose pretty good... I think I can repair though.
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:26 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRacer View Post
I'm flying my B3D till I can't repair it with tape anymore. hahaa... I decided to order an Sbach airframe and do the guts swap over. I have the B3D running on 3S and the power is nuts... I want it in the Sbach

So I'm flying the B3D as hard as possible till it's too busted to repair. Today I lost a landing gear wheel and busted the nose pretty good... I think I can repair though.

The Sbach runs on 4s. Check the specs. If your power set up does not produce the same rpms with the same prop you are going to be disappointed in the plane.
Good Luck
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:07 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrb4 View Post
The Sbach runs on 4s. Check the specs. If your power set up does not produce the same rpms with the same prop you are going to be disappointed in the plane.
Good Luck
I think he's talking about the UMX Sbach because he's talking about putting Beast 3D guts in it. I can tell you, the UMX Sbach on 3S is insane... no disappointments there for sure!
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:57 PM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,096 Posts
Not so often we have days like this.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:52 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
3,133 Posts
Spent 3 days in Cleveland sans airplanes - needless to say was REALLY happy to be back flying again this a.m.. Weather was cold - thumbs were numb (yeah, I'm a lightweight - it was 46 F, so others would say it was balmy. I tried out my new keychain cam, and am pretty happy with it so far. I have to figure out how to use it intelligently, but for now, I'm just happy I was able to get it to video my flying and get it posted to Youtube. Enjoy. . .
GeeBee flt1 10 9 (5 min 15 sec)
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:20 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,334 Posts
I've loaded up the 1.4m FMS P-47 and 1.25m Dynam BF109, Batteries are charging and I'm going out flying - in the morning!
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:33 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
2,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Spent 3 days in Cleveland sans airplanes - needless to say was REALLY happy to be back flying again this a.m.. Weather was cold - thumbs were numb (yeah, I'm a lightweight - it was 46 F, so others would say it was balmy. I tried out my new keychain cam, and am pretty happy with it so far. I have to figure out how to use it intelligently, but for now, I'm just happy I was able to get it to video my flying and get it posted to Youtube. Enjoy. . .
Way cool!
cwolfe is offline Find More Posts by cwolfe
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:26 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,545 Posts
Away on business....had an 18 hour day....about to turn in but checking the thread.

Happy flying all!
Grazer is online now Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:42 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,642 Posts
Have had a great run of event flying in the busy fall Texas fly in calender.

Flew big bird electrics at the great Bomber Field B-17 Gathering and Gian Scale Fly In on Sept 14-16, seaplanes at the North Dallas RC Club Float fly on Sept 22, the Fort Worth Thunderbirds 50th Anniversary Airshow on Sept 30 and the awesome BEST electric event in New Waverly, TX last weekend. Almost worn out from all the flying.

More fun events coming up! Plus lots of general flying with these cooler temps.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel