SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:33 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
Quote:
Engine died headed for the far end of the field. I was about half way through the turn before I realised what had happened. Yelled DEAD STICK and dropped gear. At that point I was over the end of the field, but still in a bank. Got it level, saw gear were down and jammed the el forward to try and get the nose down. Just getting wing level scrubbed what speed I had left so down el did nothing as I watched it stop for a split second before dropping the right wing and heading for the deck. 35lbs of engine and lumber dropping from near 70 feet did not end well. Gone but not forgotten, and a lesson learned. My H9 P-47 150 will be getting an electric motor.
Oh man......I feel for you. That really sucks the fat one.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:35 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
Quote:
Grazer - I'm looking forward to round 3 with that Eagle. You need to install a rear mount cam along with a rubber pellet gun to teach that thing not to sneak up on your six!
Yeh, that Eagle has it in for me, for sure. I'm heading out there again this morning. Sunrise is in 20mins. I'm heading out early to beat the wind.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:46 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,764 Posts
Tomorrow's weather report: Sunny, high 74, winds LIGHT AND VARIABLE.

I'M GOING FLYING!!!
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:53 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
tomorrow's weather report: Sunny, high 74, winds light and variable.

I'm going flying!!!
me too!!!
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:39 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
2,204 Posts
Been working my @$$ off lately. Happy the weekend is just about here, but it looks like thunderstorms and wind all weekend. Maybe I'll get a lucky break in the weather. I want to maiden my Eflite T-34.
cwolfe is online now Find More Posts by cwolfe
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:52 PM
Dude, get me some ice cream!
United States, MA, Amherst
Joined Apr 2012
797 Posts
Still waiting on parts. Still raining. Still slowly going insane
Felt_ripper 23 is offline Find More Posts by Felt_ripper 23
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:03 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,808 Posts
Flew the Polaris and Spacewalker today, the pond at my club has been drying up quick, in fact it was so dry today I would have had to wade through like 50 yards of mud to get there, so I resigned myself to flying (the Polaris) off grass. Then I was flying around enjoying myself, she really is a pussy cat. Got everything sorted so I started walking my way over to the pond while flying circles, and did a couple skips off of it back into the air. Then I actually hit LVC on a 2200 mah battery after about 11 minutes. Didn't expect that really. I run the same battery in the Spacewalker and get nearly 15 minutes if I want to before hitting 11volts, but it has a motor with half the kv and I don't need to run as much throttle as I do on the Polaris. Guess I'll keep it to 8 minutes next time. Hope to fix my Pete n Poke engine mount so I will be back up to three flyable on Sunday! For some reason every time I work up to having three flyable something happens to one. If I had the money I'd spring for a random ARF just to have more in the hangar....but it will have to wait a bit.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:43 PM
Master of the 1 point landing
United States, IN, New Palestine
Joined Aug 2011
301 Posts
I took my little finch out to the backyard and hand-launched her out over the pond. It was a trial to see how well I can fly in the backyard so I can start on my first floatplane next week. I parked her in a tree about 35 feet up. I don't have a pole long enough to get her down... so I recruited my 14 year old son, who has a hyper-accurate left arm. He tossed about 20 baseballs at her and finally managed to nail the branch she was stuck on.
I did my best to control her during the free fall. As I gave power and up elevator, another tree reached up and snatched her out of the air. This time it was only about 8 feet up. Easy recovery.
She only has a 1/2" puncture in the left wing tissue. Easay patch tomorrow. Still flew great in the front yard. Went thru 6 batteries. Awesome day.

I am not giving up on flying from the pond.
ckimmey is offline Find More Posts by ckimmey
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:05 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
Had some good flying today. Got out at sunrise for some FPV flying, as mentioned I would earlier today here.
It was 1 degree C when I got to the paddock I fly from. Such a prefect morning however. No wind at all. Photos are from that session.

Went home, had some breakfast then headed to park with my MUS, SE5a and Radian Pro. Awesome flying on all. Caught a great thermal with my Radian Pro. The lift was insane! Had to bail out of it in the end as my 2m Radian Pro became a dot. On my way down on the sink side of the thermal, I got some crazy speed and control was impossible. Got it all back under control and landed safe. I should have set my crow position for aileron / flaps.

Tired now. I need a nap!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:27 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,764 Posts
So, I took the two boys to the flying field today, packed the usual suspects (Mig, GeeBee, T 28) and threw the UM champ, Mustang, and Corsair in for good measure. My 7 year old had been asking to fly the champ, and I usually let him once I get it high enough. He's a little heavy on the sticks, so I usually hover and keep him from crashing it.

Today, something clicked in his 7 year old head. It's amazing how kids grow up in fits and starts. Today, he asked if he could fly it, so as usual, I launched it, got it up pretty high, and handed him the radio. He flew it around a bit, then asked if he could try landing it. There's plenty of soft grass around the runway, so I figured, "what the heck".

He put it down dead center of the runway, on its wheels, pointed directly into the wind.

So, I put it up in the air again, we did the same routine . . .
And it ended up, dead center of the runway, on its wheels again.

SO, then he asks if he can have the radio while I hand launch. Sure, what the heck, right? The kid flies it like, well, like a Champ! He sends it around in circles, then brings it down right on the runway again.

Now he wants to take off. That may seem easy enough, but my poor champ has had a rough life and so the wheels don't exactly point in the same direction. I even have a hard time getting it to take off.

By the end of the time, he was flying it soup to nuts by himself.

I'm one proud pappa.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:21 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,349 Posts
That's awesome! Great to have another generation following behind and getting interested in the same hobby. This is one you can share for years to come.
Started to shake off the crash blues today. Pulled servos from the carnage of the GS corsair for testing while at work today. And stopped at the lhs and picked up the new PZ F4U1A on the way.
V2rider is online now Find More Posts by V2rider
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:29 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
Joined Jan 2011
4,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V2rider View Post
That's awesome! Great to have another generation following behind and getting interested in the same hobby. This is one you can share for years to come.
Started to shake off the crash blues today. Pulled servos from the carnage of the GS corsair for testing while at work today. And stopped at the lhs and picked up the new PZ F4U1A on the way.
Hey, thanks for the lead! I took it out of the cowling on your corsair (in the trash can) today and used it to get the CG right on my ultimate bipe
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:42 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
Hey, thanks for the lead! I took it out of the cowling on your corsair (in the trash can) today and used it to get the CG right on my ultimate bipe
Oh that's so wrong! Well, at least that's a few more pieces of the Corsair that will fly again. There was no shortage of weight in it that's for sure. glad to help, but I would have much rather left a new pack of lead weights at the field for you.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:46 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
Joined Jan 2011
4,046 Posts
Yeah, sorry for your loss...but like you said, at least some of it will fly again!
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:53 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
Yeah, sorry for your loss...but like you said, at least some of it will fly again!
Yep. S#it happens, just hate when it happens a couple times in one week. This seems to be the hardest to shake off so far. I figure the best way though is just to move on and remember lessons learned. I picked up a few in the few short flights I had with the Corsair so it wasn't REALLY a total loss.

EDIT: Just tested the servos. The good news there is they all survived the hit other than the throttle servo. Plus this one had dual servos for the elevator and one had been modded to turn 180 out so there is no need for a reverser. Looks like I have all the servos I need for the H9- razorback.
Last edited by V2rider; Sep 29, 2012 at 04:21 PM. Reason: EDIT