HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:41 PM
Dude, get me some ice cream!
United States, MA, Amherst
Joined Apr 2012
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
I hated it too. And my folks were particularly good about not giving me anything. Now that i have kids though i realize how hard it must have been on em.
Were you into flying when you were a kid?
Felt_ripper 23 is offline Find More Posts by Felt_ripper 23
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:42 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,051 Posts
My parents helped me a little, but I had to get a job this past summer to keep up with the rate I was expanding in the hobby. Now I work every sunday at the nearby Hobbytown USA
Junior year in HS, and in less than a month I can drive to the field on my own
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:44 PM
Joined Apr 2012
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
My parents helped me a little, but I had to get a job this past summer to keep up with the rate I was expanding in the hobby. Now I work every sunday at the nearby Hobbytown USA
Hey, I work on sundays too. Actually, I just got back from work.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:49 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt_ripper 23 View Post
Were you into flying when you were a kid?
Yep. Then took 20 years off to go fishing. Only got back in because of the HZ champ and fishing - the way i do it - is a 12 hr event. This i can do with my kids!
whichwaysup is online now Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:51 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
Joined Jan 2011
4,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt_ripper 23 View Post
Hey, I work on sundays too. Actually, I just got back from work.
Where do you work at?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:07 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
Concur with other comments - Work your butt off and learn the true value of money. These kids that get stuff handed to them will miss a very important lesson that they will have to live with the consequence later.

Squeezed in an FPV flight today. That was fun and very rewarding. My Skywalker has become a new friend. It's like a big floppy Labrador that I have gotten to know better.
Also put up my Radian Pro today. Also a great flight. Trying to get in plenty of practice before my Eflite Mystique 2.9m arrives in November.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:35 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,541 Posts
I'd like a Mystique too to replace my Radian Pro. Hopefully by the time I retire the RP the Mystique will be a more reasonable price...

300+ ARF is far too much for me
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:36 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,541 Posts
Double post
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:18 AM
Joined Apr 2012
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
Where do you work at?
Holyoke Community college. I do two things: I play cello in the youth simphony, and I help setup in the gym. I work about 3-4 hours each sunday, and I get $100/month, plus a season pass to the gym. Not bad!
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:17 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,818 Posts
I've tried to get jobs in hobby shops so many times, never found one that was hiring. Broke the engine mount on the Pete n Poke on takeoff yesterday. Somehow it caught either a wing tip or a wheel on the ground right before lift off and half cartwheeled onto its nose. I was considering finally switching to a 11*5 instead of a 10*6 prop right before that takeoff... probably will help get it off the ground quicker. The last couple seconds of it's takeoff run are always a bit scary.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:56 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
Joined Jan 2011
4,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod View Post
I've tried to get jobs in hobby shops so many times, never found one that was hiring.
I got lucky, ours had a 'coming soon' sign on the window where something else used to be and I happened to see it, so I called and got an interview.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:06 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,351 Posts
VERY BAD WIND, GO LAY DOWN! And of course now that I'm back home it's near dead calm. I had planned to maiden my TF GS Corsair today, but the wind was out of the west and that is a bad thing for me at our field. It's a cross wind that rolls over a tree line about 100yds from the field.
So instead I took the hopped up PZ P-51 and my trusty Kyosho 50 size FW-190.launches with the mustang were interesting to say the least. Running a P-15 on 4s 3200 pack turning a 9x9 apc. No rudder makes for a hard left back on launch before I can get my right hand back to the radio to level out. Gets the spectaters attention, that's for sure.
The 190 didn't have a good day. Actually half of the flight was fine other than getting bounced around a bit by the wind. Then in a turn near the tree line I got flipped by the rollers coming over the trees, got it back upright and gave her some more power and up el to try and get out of there and got flipped again. Of course by now I was at about 75ft 3/4 throttle and pulling back on the right stick. What you see below is what I brought home with me. Had to keep the cowl for the shock factor. I still can't believe how much paint got knocked off. The wing was destroyed. The tail was intact, but everything from the back of the canopy forward was turned to toothpicks. Gave the tail to a new club member who's boy likes to hang the carnage from the wall.
V2rider is online now Find More Posts by V2rider
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:15 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,818 Posts
Well, crash to pieces but getting the 'lectrics back is better than stuck in a tall tree or lost I am sure you are looking at what to put that stuff into now eh.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:40 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod View Post
Well, crash to pieces but getting the 'lectrics back is better than stuck in a tall tree or lost I am sure you are looking at what to put that stuff into now eh.
I haven't powered back up yet, but when I got to the wreck the battery was still hooked up, and I was still getting beeps from the esc. Motor spins free, and with a new adapter will probably be fine. Have to test rx and servos to see what works, but there is a good bit of guts for a H9 B-25 sitting here. I have another P-46 on the shelf too. Time to start looking in the classifieds and then just wait for the right one to come along.
V2rider is online now Find More Posts by V2rider
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:49 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V2rider View Post
VERY BAD WIND, GO LAY DOWN! And of course now that I'm back home it's near dead calm. I had planned to maiden my TF GS Corsair today, but the wind was out of the west and that is a bad thing for me at our field. It's a cross wind that rolls over a tree line about 100yds from the field.
So instead I took the hopped up PZ P-51 and my trusty Kyosho 50 size FW-190.launches with the mustang were interesting to say the least. Running a P-15 on 4s 3200 pack turning a 9x9 apc. No rudder makes for a hard left back on launch before I can get my right hand back to the radio to level out. Gets the spectaters attention, that's for sure.
The 190 didn't have a good day. Actually half of the flight was fine other than getting bounced around a bit by the wind. Then in a turn near the tree line I got flipped by the rollers coming over the trees, got it back upright and gave her some more power and up el to try and get out of there and got flipped again. Of course by now I was at about 75ft 3/4 throttle and pulling back on the right stick. What you see below is what I brought home with me. Had to keep the cowl for the shock factor. I still can't believe how much paint got knocked off. The wing was destroyed. The tail was intact, but everything from the back of the canopy forward was turned to toothpicks. Gave the tail to a new club member who's boy likes to hang the carnage from the wall.
Man, no two ways about it - that stinks. Bad enough if it were a foamy, but to see a stick built get destroyed makes my guts turn inside out. Sorry it happened.

Interesting, not too windy here today, so wondering if I'm in for a nasty surprise tomorrow getting your weather?
whichwaysup is online now Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings