HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:20 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
Escaped phone and email late today after work and flew my Radian Pro. Took a 20 minute drive from home to a paddock.
It was blowing about 15kts. I enjoy that wind with my Radian. No thermals about so late in the day, especially having been mild temperature today.
I did manage a 26min flight though with 3.6v remaining per cell in my 1300Mah 3S battery.
Great fun.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:35 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
It is unacceptably windy and rainy here. Going on three days of no flying. I wish I had a fly sim on days like this.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:34 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
I have had a Dynamic-S..Blaze for a week now that loves flying in the wind. It has plenty of power to get up to altitude quickly and the shape that penetrates the wind with no problem. I love this plane and no longer have to sit out windy "no fly" days. Wind means 30 minute or more flight times!!!!!! Dave/ZZ
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:34 PM
Dude, get me some ice cream!
United States, MA, Amherst
Joined Apr 2012
797 Posts
Well, for once, its raining here
Felt_ripper 23 is offline Find More Posts by Felt_ripper 23
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:20 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
Quote:
I have had a Dynamic-S..Blaze for a week now that loves flying in the wind. It has plenty of power to get up to altitude quickly and the shape that penetrates the wind with no problem. I love this plane and no longer have to sit out windy "no fly" days. Wind means 30 minute or more flight times!!!!!! Dave/ZZ
Thanks to you Zeezee, I ordered the Dynamic-S a few nights ago.
Looking forward to flying it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:57 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
Last chance for a fly today......under the laser having my eyesight corrected tomorrow.

Wind is good at the moment. Work is getting in the way.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:02 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
1,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
Wind is good at the moment. Work is getting in the way.
That work thing. I feel ya man. I got moved to nights for the next three weeks.
cwolfe is offline Find More Posts by cwolfe
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:07 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
Oh that sucks. Does that mean you will have some chance in the afternoons?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:45 AM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
1,939 Posts
Quote:
Oh that sucks. Does that mean you will have some chance in the afternoons?
I go in at 3pm and get off at midnight.
cwolfe is offline Find More Posts by cwolfe
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:48 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
I managed some great flying today. Did some FPV with my Skywalker 1900mm. Went out 1.7km and was attacked by a wedge-tailed Eagle at 260m high. I was unaware of it really, until I landed and noticed the damage to the right wing. I recorded my flight on my GoPro and watched it back. You can't see the bird, but your hear very clearly and see the plane get a good bump.

Then I put up my Radian Pro and caught one of the best thermals I have ever had. The lift I was getting was amazing. I used about 20 seconds of throttle at the beginning of my flight, then chopped throttle for the next 24mins, before I lost lift and decided to land. No altimeter but I guess I got up about 350 to 400m.

Today was some of the most satisfying flying I have done. Loved every minute of it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:44 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
Quote:
I managed some great flying today. Did some FPV with my Skywalker 1900mm. Went out 1.7km and was attacked by a wedge-tailed Eagle at 260m high. I was unaware of it really, until I landed and noticed the damage to the right wing. I recorded my flight on my GoPro and watched it back. You can't see the bird, but your hear very clearly and see the plane get a good bump.

Then I put up my Radian Pro and caught one of the best thermals I have ever had. The lift I was getting was amazing. I used about 20 seconds of throttle at the beginning of my flight, then chopped throttle for the next 24mins, before I lost lift and decided to land. No altimeter but I guess I got up about 350 to 400m.

Today was some of the most satisfying flying I have done. Loved every minute of it.
It would be inconsiderate, rude, and socially unacceptable for you not to post that video.

I snuck out this a.m. for a little flying. A cold front just came through and the rain is finally gone. The wind had MOSTLY died down, but what was left was horrific. It was the type that comes out of everywhere, is inconsistent, and worst of all, is the type that causes even the most stable aircraft to do vertical 5' drops unexpectedly. All this made flying my GeeBee and my Mig VERY exciting - particularly on landings. However, managed to remember to put my contacts in, and managed some nice, if nerve-wracking, landings on both.

Hoping tomorrow will be a little calmer. Also finally found a new ESC for my T-28 so I'll have that one to fly and JUST heard that the AS3X UM Spitfire is very close to being released, as is the AS3X Sbach. And the new corsair is only a month away. That means:
1) I'll have some new stuff to fly (kind of need a change)
2) I'll be completely broke.
3) It will be windy for the next 6-12 months with intermittent rain on any calm day. Except when I'm at work.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:34 PM
Joined Jul 2012
68 Posts
Great Day of flying. Got started around 6:00 and had a couple of hours of flying with some good friends of mine. One of my friends is just getting started and flew my Firebird Stratos successfully and had a blast. My other friend and I took our Corvalis's and warbirds up as well for a few flights. Had an amazing day, and I also believe this was our first day of flying ever without some type of repair having to be made.

Well the sun was beginning to go down and my friends and I were talking about how my Corvalis has some LED lights and strobs. So I decided to take my first stab at flying at dusk. Took her up for the last flight of the evening and it looked amazing in the air the the bright lights. However, took a turn and almost lost her due to blending in with the clouds in the background and the fact it was getting dark. So I remained calm added some aileron so I could see the red and green lights to distinguish the orientation of the plane and decided I better bring her in for a landing. Though I can say it was a bit scary setting up for a landing as it was getting darker I was able to manage to bring her in successfully.

Great times as well.
Thanks Fellas if you reading this for a great evening of flying.

Josh
JBFlyer85 is offline Find More Posts by JBFlyer85
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:53 PM
Kentucky
Joined Dec 2008
497 Posts
No clouds, no wind, about 75 degrees.
Took the slow flyers out after work.
One has a camera.

Murray North E1 MAH00154 (2 min 44 sec)
Ranandar is offline Find More Posts by Ranandar
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:54 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,433 Posts
Quote:
......under the laser having my eyesight corrected tomorrow.
been thinking about that myself !!! let us know how that turns out
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:26 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
Quote:
been thinking about that myself !!! let us know how that turns out
First post with corrected vision. Had the surgery 7 hours ago. Been sleeping most of the day recovering. Past the really uncomfortable stage now. Felt very gritty in my eyes and very sensitive to light. Surgeon said it went terrific. Wearing some tinted shields at the moment to protect my eyes. Have to sleep with them on and not allowed to take them off. The surgeon does that himself tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed for a quick recovery. Going back to sleep now.
RCG Plus Member