to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:09 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16 View Post
Showed her this and she said "but its bad for the environment". *facepalm*
ohhh man !! so is barbequing in the back yard ! cows farting, cow manure, mowing the lawn ect ect blah blah blah
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:14 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V2rider View Post
Figured I would give the Corsair a rest yesterday and took the Kyosho 109 out instead. Bad idea. little wheels always make it interesting at our field, and every 3 flights the struts need bent back into shape to fit in the wells. I had just replaced them after the last time out so I figured I would be good for the day. WRONG! Got it off the ground without hitting the nose, so far so good. The flight itself was good, but at 5 minutes I figured time to test the gear. First try only one came down, oh boy here we go again. Next try neither came out. Should have left it that way, but at this point I was 200yards out over the corn and didn't seem to have any power from the motor Then it turned into the struggle to stay out of the corn. Somehow I got it back to the field, but the gear in the right wing had come down again. Just as I got over the field it stalled from about 4ft and hit the extended gear first, then the nose and slammed the left wing before stopping. Damage so far looks like a broken prop, right wing and gear mount actually held up well, but when it hit the left wing it left a crinkle in the sheeting right about the gear mount and if I give it a good trist it feels like it may have cracked the spar.
Looks like I have another winter project. As long as I have to peel the covering back to fix the crack and sheeting I might as well try and figure out a way to move the gear so I can fit some larger wheels. It really is a great flying plane, it's just a pain on the ground and very hard on struts due to the small wheels and mounting points.
Oh well, at least I didn't have to go in the corn to get it back. That stuff is about 9ft tall and thick as shag carpet. We have two planes in there now that nobody can find. As thick as it is now, if you don't actually want into the plane, you're not going to see it.
bummer deal !! Reminds me of my day,only i was hovering my helicopter, got out over neighbors fence and i couldn't tell it was on there side, started to set it down and heard tail hit fence,so i just dropped it from about 4 feet up,it chopped there garden up good lol,two corn stalks and a bunch of there onions went flying like a mower went through them . went to store and bought them some corn and onions and all is forgiven
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:52 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
Wow what a day! Flying started at 8.20am this morning and I have just got back home.

2 x Flights (23mins each) on SkyWalker 1900mm - maiden and test flying FPV gear.
4 x Flights Mini Ultra Stick
2 x Flights Eflite Hawker Hurricane
2 x Flights PZ Trojan with Eflite Power 10
2 x Flights FMS P51 Mustang 1400mm
1 x Flight Durafly SE5a
4 x Flights Bixler 2 Night Flyer

18 batteries to charge including a cell from my FPV Ground station. Awesome day with my mates and talking with interested onlookers keen to get into this great hobby.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:43 AM
Dude, get me some ice cream!
United States, MA, Amherst
Joined Apr 2012
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16 View Post
Man you're lucky to have a gasser. My mom won't let me get one because "it might blow up if you crash". She's clueless because obviously lipos can do that too.
Dude, why do you want a gasser? I mean, they look kinda cool, but when you're a teen you get your battery charges for free, but you would have to buy your own fuel. and way more complicated, more stuff to bring to the field... I only like gas for the big IMAC and 3D planes.

Yesterday was good, going back to the club today!
Felt_ripper 23 is offline Find More Posts by Felt_ripper 23
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:53 AM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
2,198 Posts
Rained all night. Looks like it may dry up. Hoping to make it out today.
cwolfe is offline Find More Posts by cwolfe
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:04 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,751 Posts
Rainy today Wasn't even predicted. YESTERDAY, however, was awesome. I took my big T-28, Mig, and GeeBee to the flying field, along with my kids, the neighbor's kids, two toy parachutes, and a silo cup with rubber band attached. I hooked up the silo cup so it sat on top of the fuselage of the T-28, with a rubber band holding it in place. I rolled up the two parachute guys, and up they went! I got up high over the "drop zone" went inverted, and out came the parachute guys. All 6 kids went crazy chasing them around trying to catch them. If you have kids and haven't done this, it's a blast. Just one piece of advice: Resist the urge to watch the parachutes when you dump them, or the airplane will end up in a bad way!

Momma came by and picked up the kids, leaving me to fly the GeeBee and the Mig. I missed the crowd, but got some great landing practice with the GeeBee (now that I'm not attempting crosswind landings, all is well).

Had a REALLY bad mishap with the GeeBee that shows how tough it is. My pushrod in one of the Ailerons pushed through the control horn and got stuck (past the z'bend). I was about 50 feet up, and had I not panicked (arrghh), I probably could have controlled it. I flew it until I thought it was over some soft looking bushes, and then cut the throttle. My eyesight is terrible and my depth perception worse, because instead of landing in the soft bushes, I managed to put her in nose first directly into the asphalt. From 50 feet up. There was a sickening smack, and I saw foam fly up.

When I went over to collect the pieces, I was AMAZED to see that the only damage was that one of the landing gear broke loose and broke off. Not even a scratch! I was sure the wings would have broken, but nope! A little CA, and she was back flying again in 10 minutes!
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:51 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,198 Posts
Well great. Lost signal with my new T-34 and put him in the ground. He's toast. Rats!

I have no idea what happened. I was making a long turn. I went to flatten him out and no response. It just continued the turn right into the ground.

I did manage to get three flights in on my Ultimate.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:03 PM
Dude, get me some ice cream!
United States, MA, Amherst
Joined Apr 2012
797 Posts
Thats a shame. A new plane, too!
Felt_ripper 23 is offline Find More Posts by Felt_ripper 23
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:18 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
I wrecked a plane today too, the one in my avatar. May or may not be repairable.

I had brought it with to a birthday party because one of my young cousins has been fascinated with model aircraft lately. Haven't flown it for several weeks, but it's just been hanging on the wall for that time. During my preflight one aileron servo seemed to be moving just a tiny bit erratically, but I let it go... Whoops. Bad move by most standards, I know.

The flight started normally and the plane seemed fine, but within a few minutes of takeoff I could tell the servo was worse than I thought. It wasn't centering and I felt a distinct twitch.

And then I heard a massive amount of fluttering, lost control, and strained it through a couple wimpy little trees.

All the gear is fine, prop included, with the exception of that one servo, which appears to be totally stripped out.

The airframe took some serious damage. I might fix it, but at this point it's looking like a full rebuild from the ground up would be easier. That would also let me make some improvements that I've been wanting for awhile...
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:38 PM
Meh close enough.
United States, TX, Longview
Joined Dec 2010
558 Posts
Ooh. Sorry to see that cwolfe and C4H10.

Almost wrecked a plane today.

Having not flown for nearly two and a half months, I took my PC-6 out for a fly. I gave it a 3-blade prop and other nice upgrades two days ago. Unfortunately, mother nature decided to be a little naughty and what I originally thought was a nice, slow, steady breeze actually turned out to be a frightening gust with lots of shear.

I will need to have this model in one piece until an aviation organization several friends work in will have a welcoming ceremony for a new Porter coming in by the end of this month. Will put the model on static display to complement the real one.

Thankfully, I managed not to crash it but instead brought her in for a pretty rough approach and landing. The plane passed over my usual touchdown point and eventually hit hard on the mains on a road that crosses perpendicular to the runway. No damage as far as I see, although I know I'm never flying in this weather - especially if I haven't flown for a while!
minivation is offline Find More Posts by minivation
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:40 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt_ripper 23 View Post
Thats a shame. A new plane, too!
Thanks I'm about to order another one. I think I'll switch the RX out. I was able to take the motor apart and clean all the mud out of it. It seems to be working properly. No bent shaft.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:54 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwolfe View Post
Thanks I'm about to order another one. I think I'll switch the RX out. I was able to take the motor apart and clean all the mud out of it. It seems to be working properly. No bent shaft.
the stock RX,s on my Sbach and sonic 185 will gone by mid week ! Tired of losing signal and at no fault of my own having them hit the dirt ! Also ordered new servos as stock dynam servos are garbage !
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:06 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
Wow....a few crash reports. Sorry for you guys. A couple of fav planes in there too.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:21 PM
Joined Jul 2012
11 Posts
I worked today but got home and out of the car to find zero wind. I grabbed my charged battery, my DX6i and my UMX Beast 3D and headed out to the baseball fields. This was my Maiden with it. I really like this plane. I had my DR set at 60% for the test flight and I'm glad I did. This little guy was nimble. I got it trimmed out and did a few loops and rolls just in time for the wind to start to pick up. I nosed into the wind and cut the throttle so that I was creeping, perfect landing on my first attempt.

I'm very impressed with this little plane. Its a bit underpowered and I'm researching some alternative batteries for it but aside from that it was a perfect 6 minutes.

Chris
Chris Mu is offline Find More Posts by Chris Mu