Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 12, 2012, 04:46 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Just received my first jet, a Stinger 64 used and in good shape. So I am on my way outside to "fly" out in my field. Report in a while, I hope it's positive. If not it will be pilot error. I have never hand launched, certainly not a jet. If I get a good launch, then I hope I can keep it in view... Dave/ZEE .......remember: Don't smoke & fly, Jets!
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2012, 05:08 PM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
I no longer have a jet... 1st launch didn't work, 2nd launch was successful but I over controlled and flew it into the dirt. This was more fun than watching my wife lose $100.00 in a slot machine in about the same amount of time. I don't gamble...I "fly"...... .....Damn I gotta get me another jet, I liked it!!! Dave/ZEE
Old Jul 12, 2012, 05:34 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
Wow....quite a bit can happen in 22mins zeezee!

I haven't flown for a week. No chance after work currently as have had too much on. Hopefully the weekend if the weather holds out. Desperate to go fly FPV again.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:12 PM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
yea, it took 1hour to unbox and assemble, plus charge the lipo. 60 seconds to disaster. if i had of taken off from a runway instead of tossing it up into the air, i would still be flying my jet. lesson learned, this will not happen again ZEE ...my buddy has a nice jet, i would have kamakazied had i done that to it.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:51 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
1,946 Posts
Rain, rain, rain
cwolfe is online now Find More Posts by cwolfe
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:54 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
I know exactly how you feel. I spent a couple of hours on my Parkzone Trojan T-28 getting her prepped. I maidened her just fine on a Saturday. Wind came up too high and I landed her and went home. Took her back out the next day, put her up only to have her go too far out. I lost orientation and knife edged her into the ground. I spent an hour looking for her and finally found her in a field almost a mile away from where I though she went down. Well damage was relatively light and I will try her again tomorrow. Sigh.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jul 13, 2012, 01:45 PM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwolfe View Post
Rain, rain, rain
This should be the "I'm going out swimming" thread. Got floats?
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:38 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
1,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeeBeeGeeBee View Post
This should be the "I'm going out swimming" thread. Got floats?
No doubt. I almost went out yesterday evening. It had dried up pretty good, but I figured the field was flooded and if I had a problem and needed to ditch I'd have a problem.
cwolfe is online now Find More Posts by cwolfe
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:10 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
Waiting for wind to drop a little. My buddy wants to maiden his Radian. I am not sure what to fly yet.......maybe my FPV setup!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:31 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwolfe View Post
Rain, rain, rain
same deal here....but the storms crank up after i get off work ???
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Jul 14, 2012, 01:28 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
After fixing my PZ Trojan T-28 I took her out to remaiden her this AM. The wind was about 4 mph and it was overcast. I put her on the runway at our local field, pointed her into the wind, and gave her full throttle. She tracked straight and true and gently climbed. My heart was pounding as she became airborne and after she gained ample altitude, I gave her a little bit of left aileron and a wee bit of elevator. Wow, she responded with a nice gentle turn. I straightened her out and she was flying level and straight, even with hands off the sticks. I did some more turns but stuck to non aerobatic flying, no loops or rolls. After 8 minutes or so, I brought her in to a 1/4 throttle 3 point landing. I used rudder to turn her and taxied her back to me. After her disastrous second flight this was pure bliss. I guess third time IS the charm. Four things changed after my crash. First, I bought the Parkzone battery that comes with the BNF Trojan and used that instead of the E-Flight battery which is a little bit bigger and heavier. Second, I set the dual rates to 60% for ailerons and rudder and 75% for elevator no expo though and not needed. I attribute these settings to her docile handling. Third, I spent a lot of time checking CG and trims the night before and did a lot of mechanical trimming. Fourth, I have been flying a T6 Texan on my RealFlight 6 sim now for about two weeks before I flew my Trojan again. What a difference. I will fly her again tomorrow and see if she flies well for me again. What a great morning of flying.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 01:59 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,260 Posts
Hard to beat the T-28. Even harder to kill it once you get used to it. I guess oldtimers kicked in with me. I could have sworn I had stuck the P-25 in mine last fall when I stuck a 40 amp esc in there. I have been flying it all week on 4s having fun with the speed passes down the runway and endless climbs. Well 20-30 seconds WOT at a time that is. Had it out again last night at a friends house and when I brought it in for landing it broke the cowl up pretty bad. No biggy couple $ part. Only thing is when I pulled the pieces off I found that I had actually stuck a P-15 in it last year. D'OH! No wonder it was so fast. With a 10x10 apc and 4s 3200 the calc says I'm pulling 49 amps Static. probably more like 43-45 in the air, but still over the specs on the motor and esc. Guess I had better drop to a 9x9 to get a little closer to the specs.
The crazy thing is just how well it handles the extra weight. Doesn't really seem to bother it at all. Still handles very well at slow speeds. I think I'm at the limit for the stock airframe though. No way I would take a turn wide open without folding the main wing. Low wide open passes can be interesting too. The verticle stab flexes when you punch it and you never know if it it going to climb or dive in the transition from glide to full tilt boogy. I guess it may also be time for some additional carbon spars.
V2rider is offline Find More Posts by V2rider
Old Jul 14, 2012, 04:52 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,787 Posts
I'm happy to say that I skipped the PZ T-28. Foamies that you can tell are made of foam just don't appeal to me. Personal pref. Balsa and covering just seems so much more solid and real to me. I guess if it were a foamie with covering and I couldn't see the foam it probably wouldn't bother me.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:25 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
But it is such a nice plane to fly seeingeyegod! And, you can't see the foam once it takes off and you are flying, but each to their own.

Flew my Radian Pro yesterday and FPV equipped Bixler. Had a radio glitch on my Bixler, which resulted in nil servo control and throttle went up to 3/4. This lasted about 5 seconds and all I could see was the ground coming up fast in my goggles!

Got radio control back and got her down safe. Didn't fly it again and instead pulled it apart on the bench back home. It's going to be one of the mystery situations that dents your confidence flying the same setup.

Forecast is for windy conditions today....but you never know.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:55 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
That's too bad because the PZ T-28 Trojan is a sweet flyin' plane once you get her dialed in. I am excited just thinking about flyin' her again tomorrow!!!