SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:14 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,410 Posts
Haven't flown for awhile. Not much going on. I've stalled out on construction of the new Slipso because I'm busy chewing on the elevator linkage design and aileron servo positions. It also needs some cooling exits and then glass. It looks nice, though...

I might fly a little tomorrow depending on the weather. I think the little 90-gram balsa plane is in flying shape again. Hmmm...
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2012, 09:34 AM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,025 Posts
I'm NOT going flying today. No power, and its going to be stupid hot. I can't charge batteries if the storm knocks out all the electricity in the area....
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:09 AM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
2,145 Posts
I was able to get a battery in on my Eflite Grasshopper last evening. The landing gear bent and then snapped off when I was bending it back. That's the only draw back on that plane. The landing gear is so soft.

I then put a couple flights in on my HK Extra 300. First with a APC 10x4.7 SF. Switched to a APC 10x5E to give it a little more zip on the second flight. It works well. Lands a bit faster though.
cwolfe is online now Find More Posts by cwolfe
Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:34 AM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,000 Posts
Today is going to be 100+ and sunny! BUT some of us are going to the field anyway. We may need to turn on the A/C in the clubhouse!
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:37 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,875 Posts
I just got back from the flying field here in Oceanside, CA. It is about 76 degrees here. Four buddies showed up and we had a great time flying until about 9:45 AM when the wind started up. Well, the good news is I maidened my Parkzone T-28 Trojan. I still need to do a bit of trimming and she seems a bit off CG with the stock E-Flight 1800 mah battery. The landing was OK, but it could have been better. Anyway, she came down and is in one pice and no damage done. This is my first real aileron plane, although I have flown a TechOne P-51 Mustang twice in preparation for maidening my Trojan. All in all a great morning of flying. I may go out again this evening.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jun 30, 2012, 06:27 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,541 Posts
Congrats CS69 on your maiden flight. The T28 is a very forgiving and ideal to gain experience on.

I flew my P47 Thunderbolt, FMS Mustang 1.4m and Night Radian yesterday. The forecast was for light wind conditions today, but I have just awoken to find the forecast a little different. Will see what happens.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2012, 09:56 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,000 Posts
We flew today with a temp of 104 and the heat index was ????? higher!! Lots of water consumed, never fired up the A/C since it would take HOURS to cool off the club house. We did fire up one of the grills and had Angus hot dogs with all the trimmings, and great kettle chips. Nice time even though there were only three of us with the nads to go out there.

I was inverted doing a slow turn to the left when a tall tree, far away, got into my line of sight. Well, I lost it! Did a push on the stick and got no visible result. Thought "what the heck" and gave it a pull on the stick .. still out of sight .. and up it came from behind that far away tree. Let it climb, up is GOOD! Wiggled the sticks to see which way it was pointed, and recovered it! And, most impressive to me, I did not get shaky thumbs! I finished the flight and landed! Whew!
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:42 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
I went out this morning at 8AM. no wind and that part was great. But I had to fly 5% flaps on my Jug just to keep it in the air it was so humid. I was soaked in sweat. so 6 flights on 3 planes was enough for me..
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:36 PM
Meh close enough.
United States, TX, Longview
Joined Dec 2010
558 Posts
After half a year of construction, I maidened my PC-6 Porter yesterday. The plane was a joy to fly - stable flying characteristics with gentle controls. Very scale-like flying.

As for now, it's just a plane with white paint, but later on I will be putting blue monokote on to replicate PK-UCH, a PC-6 YAJASI (a subsidary of JAARS) will soon be taking delivery of. The model also lacks realistic features such as the PT6-27 exhausts on the nose and aileron counterbalances on the wings. I'll also add those later.
minivation is offline Find More Posts by minivation
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:27 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,541 Posts
What a weekend! 50 flights and 10 different planes. Unusual calm wind conditions in Perth, Western Australia lately.

Loving it!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:33 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
Flew my Sport Stealth today with a 3s for the first time. Was thinking I could still use my 2s as a first battery but it completely gave up the ghost and when I tried it. It was great with the 3s though, could climb as high as I wanted and did easy loops at half throttle. Unfortunately the hyperion 3s battery i just bought doesn't fit into the 3s balance port on the Imex charger i bought earlier. I just charged it instead of balance which I guess I can do a few more times but I need to figure what the deal is with the fact that it fits into the 4s balance port instead of 3s and the charger gives a cell mistmatch error that way,
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:10 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
Had a nice flying session at my home field, Thunderbird Field in Fort Worth, today. The temps eased back to the high 80's as a front came through, with a few rain storms. Winds were a little gusty, averaging about 12-14 mph.

Got in 7 flights....three on the 1.6 meter Starmax A-1 Skyraider, two on the Mini Pulse XT and two on the Eflite LR1A Pogo. The Pogo had been down after I completely misplaced a wheel and pant that came off, plus having the canopy fairing melt in the hot sun last season. Got spare parts installed and am now ready to hit a few races. Redid the colors a bit so the canopy fairing is painted white instead of dark blue, to prevent future canopy assembly meltdowns.

The Pogo is great fun on windy days....it simply ignores the wind at 110 mph....
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:34 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,541 Posts
Quote:
The Pogo is great fun on windy days....it simply ignores the wind at 110 mph....
Hey Thomas B,

What power setup on the Pogo?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2012, 07:28 AM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minivation View Post
After half a year of construction, I maidened my PC-6 Porter yesterday. The plane was a joy to fly - stable flying characteristics with gentle controls. Very scale-like flying.
Awesome job!

One of my favorite planes - went for a ride in one once and the pilot thought it would be fun to do stalls where the airplane fell backwards. I didn't enjoy that part.
Buzz_Man is offline Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
Old Jul 02, 2012, 10:05 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,875 Posts
After the successful maiden flight of my new PZ T-28 Trojan, my next flight was not so good. I went out again the following day to fly the Trojan again, when disaster struck. I had taken the plane up nicely and the wind was fairly calm, 5-6 mph or so. I'm not sure what exactly happened, but the plane got a bit far away from me and I completely lost orientation. I tried to circle the plane back to me when it knife edged and did a plummet straight into the ground. I immediately went to look for my Trojan, but could not find it to save my life. The area we fly in ends in a sloping bank planted with vegetation and trees. Beyond that is a divided 4 lane road. I searched for my Trojan for about an hour and finally gave up. I figured someone must have picked it up. I was devastated to say the least and the next hour or so of flying my FB Stratos and Super Cub was not very enjoyable. My brother had come to fly his Firebird Commander 2 with us and I told him what happened to my T-28. Well he volunteered to search and came back half an hour later empty handed so I figured at that point, that my plane was lost. After we were done flying, I asked my brother to drive along the road one more time so that we might spot my plane by chance. We drove around for about 15-20 minutes in the general area with no luck. We turned around and were headed back when lo and behold, I spotted a white, orange and red object in a construction area about 3/4 of a mile from where I thought I saw my plane go down. Sure enough, it was my Trojan. I jumped out of the truck and rescued my plane. There was minimal damage the plane itself, but my motor and ESC were fried. The wings were intact as was the fuselage, vertical and horizontal stabilizers and canopy. The wings had come off as designed. The airplane is 100% repairable. I bought the ESC and motor and will fly again on Saturday. So how was your weekend flying?
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69