HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 07, 2012, 09:37 PM
Meh close enough.
United States, TX, Longview
Joined Dec 2010
558 Posts
After being quite a bit away from RC flying, I'm finally starting to get back in now that school is done. Been flying my 55" Skylane a lot recently, after it's been sitting in the hangar for nearly a year. The only airplane that REALLY needs flying is the Telemaster - the Optic 6 that controls it has a bad battery. I'll be hanging out with a friend to somehow get his Optic 6 to work with my Telemaster...
minivation is offline Find More Posts by minivation
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2012, 05:21 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,406 Posts
I just finished the new plane. Spent like five hours with fiddly work today after I woke up, but everything is functional and I've got two packs charged and ready to go.

Hopefully this wind will calm down around 8:00-8:30 like it usually does. I'd like dead-calm conditions for the maiden.
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jun 08, 2012, 06:29 PM
Not failing=Not trying enough
United States, IA, Coralville
Joined Jun 2011
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
I just finished the new plane. Spent like five hours with fiddly work today after I woke up, but everything is functional and I've got two packs charged and ready to go.

Hopefully this wind will calm down around 8:00-8:30 like it usually does. I'd like dead-calm conditions for the maiden.
You had better post some pictures! Maybe get them before the maiden

FWIW, I've never had good luck with the second flight on a new plane. On 4/5 planes that I've flown for the first time, the first flight goes perfect, but the second one I always screw up somehow. Maybe on my next maiden I'll keep that in mind and only bring one charged battery.

But I trust you aren't jinxed with Second Flight Failure Syndrome.
Wehrdo is offline Find More Posts by Wehrdo
Old Jun 08, 2012, 07:11 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,406 Posts
Quote:
But I trust you aren't jinxed with Second Flight Failure Syndrome.
In my case, it's Every Flight Failure Syndrome, as in "Man, I sure do EFFS up a lot of planes!"

I got some pictures, but I lack a USB cord for the camera. It's here somewhere, so I'll get the pics posted up as soon as I have it in hand. I swear, the stupid cord can sit on a shelf for MONTHS, and then as soon as I need it, it's not there.

The breeze is pretty steady out there right now, but I've got almost two hours of daylight left and it's sure to taper off in about an hour or so. I can wait... In the meantime, I'll go take more glamor shots
Old Jun 08, 2012, 07:22 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,000 Posts
Here in AL, the wind dies down right at sunset, maybe .. but the field is 40-45 min away. Hard to take a shot at it when you are that far away. I'd guess you are flying VERY near home.
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Jun 08, 2012, 07:26 PM
Meh close enough.
United States, TX, Longview
Joined Dec 2010
558 Posts
Came back from another great few hours of flying. We had one of the largest attendance this morning and thankfully none of the 10-or-so airplanes crashed. I brought my Telemaster up in the air, but because of an uncentered prop, the tail feathers went loose and started to flutter. A little CA or epoxy would do...

I'll be going downtown to get 8 rechargeable AA batteries so I can solder myself a replacement NiMH/NiCad for my Optic 6. Oh, and more CA too.
minivation is offline Find More Posts by minivation
Old Jun 08, 2012, 07:34 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,406 Posts
Quote:
Here in AL, the wind dies down right at sunset, maybe .. but the field is 40-45 min away. Hard to take a shot at it when you are that far away. I'd guess you are flying VERY near home.
My small field is about a block from my house. 45-second bike ride
Old Jun 08, 2012, 08:44 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,406 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

IT FLIES!!!!

It's already climbing the list of favorites with barely three minutes of airtime

I headed for the park at about 8:00 and steeled myself for the inevitable crash due to incorrect incidence, unseen wing warp, or a foul airfoil. I powered her up and gave the little "Air Hogs"-type toss. Off she went...

I was reduced to giggles. This thing is absurd. So... Tiny... Control is temperamental and it needs a lot of downthrust, but it certainly flies, and flies well. It's hilarious seeing it zipping around. Its big sister is like some huge snarling beast by comparison.

With how heavy it turned out, I was expecting a little brick missile type deal. Nope. Light as a feather in the air. The power of that 10g motor, I'm ashamed to say, is simply astronomical. It'll crank the whole 3.2oz airframe out of level flight and into a burning loop at 3/4 throttle. It's barely thirty watts with the stick pegged

Reflex is very critical, apparently. The first flight had too much positive, so I landed and proceeded to break an aileron pushrod trying to adjust. Back home, new rod, back to the park with a slight bit of negative camber. Far too much down; it kept wanting to dive hard without power. I'll solve it tonight..

The verdict? Excellent, excellent, excellent. Once it's all sorted out, this thing will be able to fly in my front yard EASILY. I might need to fit bigger ailerons, maybe.

I'll post pics soon
Old Jun 08, 2012, 10:13 PM
Mile High Pilot
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined Jun 2010
1,175 Posts
Its been over three weeks since my last day of flying. Terrible to have a gap like this in the height of the season, but have had a wonderful family celebration at the house, and a lot of work in the way, so my planes have been gathering dust, and my batteries have been shedding electrons.

Expect to be out early tomorrow, its supposed to be about 10 mph winds, but Im going anyway.

The club is having a free fly tomorrow, might be tough to get my normal wild and wooly morning in, but it will be good to see the guys again in any case.
milehighjc is offline Find More Posts by milehighjc
Old Jun 08, 2012, 10:18 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,000 Posts
Good on all of you!

milehighjc - good luck!

Don
Old Jun 08, 2012, 10:57 PM
Mile High Pilot
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined Jun 2010
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
Good on all of you!

milehighjc - good luck!

Don
Don, I wish I didnt NEED the luck, but I bet I do... Im betting on ... RUSTY ...

milehighjc is offline Find More Posts by milehighjc
Old Jun 09, 2012, 12:46 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Two days with nuttin to fly, glad it rained. Just finished my new Piper Pawnee 1/2 hr. ago and she is RTF. I picked up a little plug that you plug your flaps into for a 4 sec. delay, look nice coming down slow. Hanger9 planes are absolutely the nicest planes I have ever worked with. Mine is perfect. Gona eat me some fried shrimp and gator tail and hit the field for a maiden... It should go very smoothly,it's basicly a low wing Cub. Dave/ZEE
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Jun 09, 2012, 03:49 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
Two days with nuttin to fly, glad it rained. Just finished my new Piper Pawnee 1/2 hr. ago and she is RTF. I picked up a little plug that you plug your flaps into for a 4 sec. delay, look nice coming down slow. Hanger9 planes are absolutely the nicest planes I have ever worked with. Mine is perfect. Gona eat me some fried shrimp and gator tail and hit the field for a maiden... It should go very smoothly,it's basicly a low wing Cub. Dave/ZEE
But it is bigger and looks nicer! Nice tail shot, BTW!
Don
Old Jun 09, 2012, 10:59 PM
Tree? That's a Tx weed!
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2003
2,434 Posts
Took Radian Pro out this afternoon.
Hot (low 90's), clear Bright skies, little to no wind from the SE.
Thermals were BOOMING!
Bladder finally made me stop on one flight.
An awesome day in Texas,
Crash
crashsiegel is offline Find More Posts by crashsiegel
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:40 AM
Joined Aug 2009
12,406 Posts
Tonight I worked on trimming the new micro plane out a little more. I added some downthrust and adjusted the flap travel to fine-tune camber. I think I've got it down pretty well now, but it still certainly isn't friendly with the wind yet. I'm not used to such low wind-fighting ability.

I like the GWS 4530 props a little better than the 4540 that I broke yesterday. Today I got a 2mm prop saver and some props, but accidentally got the 4530s. It runs cooler and is still plenty powerful and fast, and with the prop saver I got like four landings with no damage. I think my small stash of props (one extra 4530, one 4540, and one 5030) will last quite awhile...

Overall I'm really enjoying this micro stuff. Everything is cheaper and my charger can charge packs much faster. The only downside is dealing with wind, but that's where the bigger stuff comes in.