HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2012, 02:50 PM
Not failing=Not trying enough
United States, IA, Coralville
Joined Jun 2011
360 Posts
Just got in from flying 4 batteries on my new 38" Yak-54 profile 3D foamy. This 3d foamy flies different than any other plane I've flown, but it's kinda fun. I feel like it lacks the gracefulness of a nice airfoiled plane, but maybe it's just me thinking this.

I had quite a bit of a struggle getting the prop to stay on. I used a prop saver at first, but while revving it up in my hand, it went crooked and chopped the front of my plane off! I also had an equivalent prop as APC for a collet adapter. The adapter rings fit around the threaded part of the collet shaft, but wouldn't go over a slightly larger diameter portion at the bottom, so it wouldn't get tight on the motor. I finally gave in and drilled it out by a hair, hoping I wouldn't screw up the center. Works good now!

I'm glad I've got this now, because during the week I'm not at home with a huge pasture behind my house. This little guy will great for the park near where I stay. Time to learn some 3D!
Wehrdo is offline Find More Posts by Wehrdo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2012, 02:52 PM
Not failing=Not trying enough
United States, IA, Coralville
Joined Jun 2011
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
There's some guy who built a tiny 4" span 10 or 11 gram edf mig-15....I think he's pretty much the winner right now. I could fly that in my bedroom

And then you go to a 20+ foot b-29 or b-36, or full scale
Got a link for that? I'd be curious how he pulled that off. Heck, a regular receiver would about max your electronics weight on it!
Wehrdo is offline Find More Posts by Wehrdo
Old Jun 03, 2012, 02:55 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wehrdo View Post
Got a link for that? I'd be curious how he pulled that off. Heck, a regular receiver would about max your electronics weight on it!
Sure do! And I was wrong, it's 4.2" span and 1.8 grams!!!!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...php?t=1513137&
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Jun 03, 2012, 03:12 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
just came back from a successful club day buddyboxing with an instructor on my T28, made 2 circuits, a figure 8, and 3 successful takeoffs and landings. got my fixed wing status and i can now fly alone
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 03, 2012, 04:58 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Thats great! now your in trouble ..ZEE
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Jun 03, 2012, 07:39 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
Guys, I beg to differ.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jun 03, 2012, 09:58 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
Sorry, differ with what? Where did this come from?
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:17 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
That was a response to this:

Quote:
There's some guy who built a tiny 4" span 10 or 11 gram edf mig-15....I think he's pretty much the winner right now. I could fly that in my bedroom
That little plane sort of puts a lot of stuff in perspective, don't it? The guy makes everything for it himself, even the transmitter and receiver I've always found folks with that level of ability and dedication to be sort of inspiring.

I didn't do any flying today at all. The scrap-metal industry is very lucrative if you do it right (read: burn some calories) so I was out making some cash instead
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:56 PM
This Calls for a Sexy Party
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
Cody is it super nice outside today ( i think you know because you were outside making $$$ )
first day in a week that it is not either super windy or raining.
Got 2 flight in, total my twins by F&T when i have the CG too far aft.
First flight ever with my 19.5 inch flying wing on 3s, this thing is fast and twitchy on 3s, i really need to lower the throw and stuff down.
StewieRC is offline Find More Posts by StewieRC
Old Jun 04, 2012, 04:30 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
Window in the weather today, with two models to maiden - a replacement Webbit and a WM P-51 Miss America Mustang - so I'm off. See ya later.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jun 04, 2012, 12:20 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
C₄H₁₀ - OK, if it is not in the previous post, I get lost!

I flew yesterday, very breezy but finally died down about 90 min before sundown. Today is windy with rainstorms moving through. That is OK, I really don't need 3 days flying .. in a row. It is a 40 min trip, one way.
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Jun 04, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
Quote:
Cody is it super nice outside today ( i think you know because you were outside making $$$ )
first day in a week that it is not either super windy or raining.
Got 2 flight in, total my twins by F&T when i have the CG too far aft.
First flight ever with my 19.5 inch flying wing on 3s, this thing is fast and twitchy on 3s, i really need to lower the throw and stuff down.
Heheheh, you can call me Cody if ya really want to, but normally I go by Rudy How are those motors working for ya? Hopefully they're a bit better now than they were, even if it's just a matter of the wires staying intact.

I'm building a plane right now for the 10g motor you gave me. It's awesome. I also rewound the MicroJet V3 and it's performing really nicely. I like it. In fact...

Tonight it was dead-calm and about 75 degrees. I went out and flew the new wing that I built a few days ago. This time I went with the rewound MJV3, 6x5.5 prop, and an HK 25A ESC since the CC Phoenix is having issues. The power with the HK ESC is right where it should be in the 200-220W range. A lot for that little motor, but it did fine.

Vertical is insane. Very fast, very unlimited. The plane is smooth and stable, and level flight is pretty darn quick. I don't think it's quite as fast as the beast in my avatar, but it'll definitely haul. It came down pretty warm but if it fries I'll just rewind HOTTER and run a smaller prop

My wing-flying skills (oxymoron?) need sharpening. I've got my rudder thumb trained really well now and I use it quite a bit. I really noticed its absence when I start pushing this little wing around; there's no good way to just kick the tail around to make a super-sharp turn.

I'm thinking I'm gonna cover the top of the wing in black duct tape. Orientation is a little tricky on this one.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 04:23 AM
Joined May 2012
60 Posts
more pictures would be fine,good thread.
i want to go out flying this weekend,wow...
Santoyo is offline Find More Posts by Santoyo
Old Jun 05, 2012, 04:33 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
Here's a few pictures from yesterday, to whet your appetite...

No flying for me today, the poor weather is back...
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jun 05, 2012, 07:17 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
Quote:
just came back from a successful club day buddyboxing with an instructor on my T28, made 2 circuits, a figure 8, and 3 successful takeoffs and landings. got my fixed wing status and i can now fly alone
Best post I have read today. Congratulations and thanks for sharing. Takes me back to when I learned to fly on my T-28.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member