HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2010, 11:35 AM
Beware the Axis of Weasel.
Plymouth, Devon
Joined May 2007
2,464 Posts
If you saw me fly you'd think I did too...
thewildweasel is offline Find More Posts by thewildweasel
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2010, 04:35 PM
It's Too Windy
Tennessee
Joined Nov 2009
662 Posts
I went flying.

Cheers,
Henry
DoubleH is offline Find More Posts by DoubleH
Old Jun 08, 2010, 04:36 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,410 Posts
The only thing flying here all day has been balsa dust. It be raining, yar....
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jun 14, 2010, 08:29 AM
It's Too Windy
Tennessee
Joined Nov 2009
662 Posts
I'm going flying today.
I also went flying yesterday.

Cheers,
Henry
Old Jun 14, 2010, 03:06 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,410 Posts
I've got a new plane to maiden. It took me about an hour to build it from parts that I stripped off other foamies. The funny part is that it doesn't even look all that Frankenstein It's a really basic wing made primarily from 1/2" pink insulation foam with Depron elevons and stabs.

It's designed with combat in mind so it'll be quick and maneuverable, but not nearly quick or maneuverable to escape the rain that's outside right now

Maybe later.....
Old Jun 14, 2010, 04:17 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,410 Posts
Ok, maiden went great This plane handles wind like no other. It was too windy out there for anything I've ever built except ths plane. New favorite for windy days....

And its performance is great overall, not just in wind handling. Cool.... Ahh, I love going out flying
Old Jun 14, 2010, 04:28 PM
AMA #953123
Eugene, ORYGUN
Joined Mar 2009
2,203 Posts
Well I'm glad there was a little break in the rain or that your new plane is waterproof.

I'm going out flying here tonight. I'm redoing all the wiring for my night flying lights. I got a heavier motor in my plane now so I don't need/want the extra weight from the separate LED power source. So I'm wiring them to just run off my flight pack instead of its own 3S 600mAh pack.

That way I can do away with a lot of extra wire, plugs and switches to help remove some failure points too as well as the weight.
VROOMSTER is offline Find More Posts by VROOMSTER
Old Jun 14, 2010, 09:39 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,410 Posts
Fly in a corn field late at night and make some crop circles with a weedwhacker. Take pictures, sell them to a tabloid and write a book about your encounter

The rain didn't WANT to take a break but I FORCED it.....
Old Jun 15, 2010, 03:30 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,312 Posts
I'm not going out flying.

It's 98 degrees out there and feels like 105!

I'm staying inside in the AC.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 04:47 PM
Mile High Pilot
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined Jun 2010
1,175 Posts
I went (along front range in CO).

Another windy day. Weather Underground reports it as less than I would have thought (Felt to me like 10ish gusting to 15), and it kept changing directions from the east and south.

Just for grins (dont know whether this will remain a snapshot of today, or if it will change as time goes on), Im posting the linked image of the weather underground weather graph. Its pretty cool... although it only samples every 15 minutes. I was flying between 3 and 3:30. Made a total of 6 take off/landings scattered around that, but had to change "runways" twice (have both n/s and e/w roads).

In any case, because of the constantly changing wind directions and gusts that at double or more of the base wind speed it was somewhat less than ideal flying. While I dont mind messing around in the wind (actually, I think its kinda fun), big gusts when you are 4-6' off the ground on final are not really all that fun. Fortunately, there are lots of deep weeds that catch the plane softly. Blew me RIGHT off the runway

jc
milehighjc is offline Find More Posts by milehighjc
Old Jun 15, 2010, 05:26 PM
It's Too Windy
Tennessee
Joined Nov 2009
662 Posts
I went flying the other day. Some of the work men working on my grandparents roof kept watching the planes. I think they wanted to fly.

Cheers,
Henry
Old Jun 15, 2010, 07:41 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,410 Posts
I just went awhile ago. Can't get enough of this new wing

It would seem that the weather is getting ready to really break now. It was clear and sunny for about two hours today; it's now cloudier but nowhere near the extreme-cloudy condition of the past week and a half.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 07:51 PM
It's Too Windy
Tennessee
Joined Nov 2009
662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP15 View Post
I've got a new plane to maiden. It took me about an hour to build it from parts that I stripped off other foamies. The funny part is that it doesn't even look all that Frankenstein It's a really basic wing made primarily from 1/2" pink insulation foam with Depron elevons and stabs.

It's designed with combat in mind so it'll be quick and maneuverable, but not nearly quick or maneuverable to escape the rain that's outside right now

Maybe later.....
Can you post a picture of it?

Cheers,
Henry
Old Jun 15, 2010, 08:07 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,410 Posts
Heehee, nope, of course not

(There's kind of a joke about me and posting pics, you see. I often promise to post them but they never.... show .... up.... )

I'll try (see, there I go again.....)
Old Jun 16, 2010, 01:06 PM
Oh you pull BACK on the stick?
Bloomington, IN
Joined Feb 2010
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP15 View Post
Heehee, nope, of course not

(There's kind of a joke about me and posting pics, you see. I often promise to post them but they never.... show .... up.... )

I'll try (see, there I go again.....)

Very true....he promised me pics of his mythical Weasel.......
I wonder if it really exists
Varmet6 is offline Find More Posts by Varmet6