HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2012, 08:45 PM
LETS GO UTES!!
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Mar 2011
201 Posts
How do you figure that pitching up is a sign of the CG being forward?
I'm not trying to pick a fight, I'm actually curious because I just mounted a GoPro Hero2 to my super cub and shes trying to go high alpha on me when I give it throttle it seems.
I thought I had it balanced pretty well but maybe not?
Knowing this may very well save my plane.
TheyCallMeUTAH is offline Find More Posts by TheyCallMeUTAH
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:01 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,431 Posts
Generally you'll trim a plane for level flight at some speed below full throttle. If the CG is too far forward the plane will naturally want to dive, which causes you to add more up-trim than normal. Now when you exceed that speed, the elevator is pushing harder and starts to pitch the plane up.

With a plane like the SuperCub, the wing will naturally produce more lift as you speed it up, which also results in a climb even if the CG and trim are good. By contrast, a more 'neutral' plane, such as a pattern ship with a symmetrical wing, won't do that if it's trimmed correctly and has appropriate thrust angles.
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:45 AM
LETS GO UTES!!
Joined Mar 2011
201 Posts
good explanation..
I stuck the camera in my trojan yesterday and it didnt even seem to notice it.
The cub however flew like it had a dead elephant on its back...
Old Jan 17, 2012, 03:52 PM
DONT PANIC! :)
United States, FL, Lehigh Acres
Joined Jan 2012
1,913 Posts
you guys are lucky i gotta wait 3 more weeks because of my screen name! ~.~ tahaha! this thread is on fire! cheers sbach 342 60" p52 6s coming soon!
out of stock is offline Find More Posts by out of stock
Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:56 PM
LETS GO UTES!!
Joined Mar 2011
201 Posts
I posted a video of my Gopro mounted on my Parkzone T-28. Heres the link if you wanna watch it.
GoPro T-28 Flight 1/16/2012 Garbage snow landing. (5 min 32 sec)

It's my first attempt at flying with a camera so dont burn me down
Old Jan 17, 2012, 09:16 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,431 Posts
Damn, you got some nice flying territory there Great flying, too. For some reason those GoPro cameras always make me feel a little disoreinted, like I'm looking at the world through in a fisheye mirror. Still awesome, though

I'm hoping to maybe get some flying done in the next couple days. This is a very strange winter; we've had a total of just a couple inches of snow and the temps are bouncing around like crazy. A few days ago I was out for a bike ride in a light sweater over a t-shirt, and this morning it was four degrees on the way to school. I saw the bank sign and thought it said 34 because it just didn't feel that cold

Anywho, I'm hesitant to charge up any packs due to the possibility of the weather tanking, which would compel me to just discharge them back to storage rather than waiting it out. I'd rather avoid all that but I don't have enough daylight on weekdays to get home, toss one on the charger, and go fly if the weather's good.

I DO have my mCX, though
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Last edited by C₄H₁₀; Jan 17, 2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 04:00 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
After a torrential rainstorm yesterday today was perfect flying weather. Some friends came over and we had a fun day flying. I gotta get me a slow stick. I also am gonna get me a paved runway down so I can get me a P-51 with some retracts and a jet like these guys had. Trying to get a group of flyers together, no AMA card needed, but O.K. /Ms. gulf coast, NOLA and USM flyers come on down! The more the/ U know.. Zee
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Jan 20, 2012, 04:43 PM
whiirrrrrr
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
The ONLY weekday I get off work early enough to fly, and its windy as all get-out.
srt8madness is online now Find More Posts by srt8madness
Old Jan 20, 2012, 05:22 PM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Damn near hurricane winds all day.. Quite for a good spell... Gona give it a go... P-51..only plane to fly out of trouble..hopein... 5:33 Got in a good flight, wind no problem, think the dog was happier than me...
Last edited by zeezee; Jan 20, 2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 05:50 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt8madness View Post
The ONLY weekday I get off work early enough to fly, and its windy as all get-out.
Well at least it looks like the winds will calm down a bit for Saturday evening and Sunday morning. I'll have to take out my jug.
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old Jan 20, 2012, 06:05 PM
United States, NE, Kearney
Joined Dec 2011
2,300 Posts
Looks like the recliner and refrigerator are gonna get a workout this weekend.

Nebraska winter has finally decided to rare it's ugly head this weekend.
DustBen is offline Find More Posts by DustBen
Old Jan 20, 2012, 07:14 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
From the land down under. It was a balmy 27 degrees Celsius last night at about 9.30pm.

My mate and I went night flying. Drew in some curious spectators as usual, including a security guard and a few drunk people.
There was nil wind. Awesome flying!
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2012, 09:28 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
2,211 Posts
Got a new prop for the T-28. Hoping the winds die down tomorrow so we can get some air time in.

P.S. Watching the classic flick "Tora!Tora!Tora!" on the Military channel.
cwolfe is online now Find More Posts by cwolfe
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:10 PM
Meh close enough.
United States, TX, Longview
Joined Dec 2010
558 Posts
I didn't get to fly any planes myself, but there were 2 successful maidens this morning in our club. One was a Sig Four Star 20EP - the beginning of the maiden was a bit rough, but once the pilot got the trims figured out, it flew beautifully. The other was a Tuff Trainer, which also flew great - but the -15* motor pitch did unnerve everyone until we figured out that it was designed to be that way.

If we get lucky to assemble again this afternoon, I'll be bringing my Mini Telemaster out, which I haven't flown in around 4 months. Did a thorough motor/ESC check, reworked some wires, and added flaperons.

The last time I attempted flaperons on the Telemaster, the pushrods were loose so one of the aileron didn't respond in the middle of the flight. The plane originally shipped in with an aileron wing and another without, so I had converted it some time ago. But now that the aileron wing is horribly warped, I simply "cannibalized" the aileron wing - took the strong original pushrods and used them on my flaperon wing. So far, things are looking good. I just need to get my old Optic 6 charged up, program a few things, and go fly.
minivation is offline Find More Posts by minivation
Old Jan 21, 2012, 01:32 PM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Heavy duty rain this A.M. / front has passed, sun is out, clouds gone, guess where I'm goin..... Zeeeeeee...needed free time to pick all RC stuff up and clear dining table: wife returning home after 3 weeks gone, gotta hide one more plane..