HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2010, 09:53 AM
Starring as Devils Advocate
Joined Feb 2009
1,181 Posts
Discussion
My Maiden FPV Flight and Crash

A couple of factors made this a bad first flight. One was the fact that the winds were 10-15+ with some strong gusts. 2 and more importantly I could barely see with the goggles I was using. Myvu shades. They were horrible in the field. At home no problem, in the field the glare made it impossible to see. The video feed was fine, just couldn't see the monitors in the glasses. Oh well not a total loss so...

FPV Crash...FPV Maiden Crash of EZstar (4 min 36 sec)
redhotpearl is offline Find More Posts by redhotpearl
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2010, 11:29 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,068 Posts
Man that plane was getting tossed around like a rag doll. I hope it was repairable.
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2010, 11:33 AM
Joined Feb 2009
1,181 Posts
Yeah it was way too windy but we've had snow on the ground and freezing temps here forever so I was itching bad to test it. It may be repairable, some epoxy and some CF may do the trick.
Old Mar 06, 2010, 11:38 AM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Bummer. Sorry for your loss. I know how that feels!
Jhondra is offline Find More Posts by Jhondra
Old Mar 06, 2010, 01:12 PM
Senior Gravity Checker
Tampa, Florida
Joined Mar 2001
1,027 Posts
Are you using flaperons on the plane? Why? Seems to limit the planes authority in wind...
I may just be reading too much into the quick glimpse i got of the tail.
kist2001 is offline Find More Posts by kist2001
Old Mar 06, 2010, 05:04 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,181 Posts
Nah, no flaperons. You might have seen the servos for rudder and elevator that I installed in the tail boom as opposed to the factory set up in the fuse. I used different pushrods than the ones that came with the EZ kit. This plane has flown and flown well for over a year with this setup and just the camera. Only weight I really added was the FPV TX transmitter. It didn't add much but it was noticable different in flight than before. I'm thinking it was probably the incorrect CG not the extra weight. Other factors. I did not have ailerons in the wings. Always wanted the EZglider wings but never got around to it. Also, it really was WAY too windy for flying. It was stupid of me to test it there and in that wind. It was getting bounced around alot. Speaking of the EZglider, I'm thinking of moving to that but only I can mount a rear facing mount. Anybody have any solutions for this? Any where you can buy a mount that will work?
Old Mar 06, 2010, 06:04 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,068 Posts
Repair with Shoe Goo or Welder contact adhesive. Much lighter than epoxy and won't damage the Elapor foam.
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2010, 07:11 PM
Senior Gravity Checker
Tampa, Florida
Joined Mar 2001
1,027 Posts
I have done the Easyglider with the motor in a pylon. More trouble than it was worth IMHO. Look one the forums for a home made mount if you are interested. Easy to fab one up with just a few tools.
Old Mar 06, 2010, 07:26 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,181 Posts
Why was it trouble? Hard to mount? Hard to get the right pitch?
Old Mar 06, 2010, 10:21 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Repair with Shoe Goo or Welder contact adhesive. Much lighter than epoxy and won't damage the Elapor foam.
Use none of the above.

The *best* adhesive for Elapor is thick CA, bar none. Rub a dusting of baking soda
on one side of the break, spread thick CA on the other, press together, hold
for a few seconds. Done. Move on to the next break. When you've got it
back in one piece, use hot water (heated to 160-165 degrees F, no hotter)
to heat up the areas that are bent, compressed or crushed and simply massage them
back into shape. I've repaired various EZ*, EZG, and Funjets that were much more
destructed than that plane. Could have that thing back flyable in less than an hour.
I've never re-broken a thick CA repair. It always breaks somewhere new on the next crash.

If you can find all the pieces, Elapor planes are pretty much always repairable.

BTW, has the vert stab or rudder been increased in size on this plane? I get
the impression from the way it was being tossed so much by the wind, that it has not.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2010, 10:36 AM
Senior Gravity Checker
Tampa, Florida
Joined Mar 2001
1,027 Posts
I mounted the pylon in pusher. Plane was a bear to launch and with throttle on had terrible trim changes. I then tried the pylon as a puller...launch was much better but it still had trim changes and plane did not fly as well as with the motor in the nose.
Old Mar 07, 2010, 11:33 AM
Joined Feb 2009
1,181 Posts
That sucks to hear but thanks. Did a little research yesterday and did see that the EZglider has less room than the EZstar but to me it just looks like less of a toy. I need ailerons on my next AP bird. So if I go Ezstar I def. got to get the EZglider wings. The EZstar with tail only was like trying to turn a ship. It worked but not very well. I will do my research and see which way I want to go but thanks.

BTW stripped the EZstar to see the extent of the damage. The fuse is cracked in a few spots but not beyond repair. The FPV transmitter, looks fine. I won't know till I can get another battery to test it. The TX battery was on top of the plane and actually took the brunt of the crash. It was destroyed. It may have actually shielded the FPV TX from the full impact though. The camera is pretty beat up but still actually works after some wrestling with it. The plane Receiver was fine, the plane battery looks okay. Nothing seems punctured or puffed, but a little worse for wear. I'm gonna have to keep a very, very close eye on it but it should be okay for use. Another good thing is that it's one of my oldest batteries and while it still worked great, I bought it back before I knew about HK. The servos seem fine. All in all it wasn't horrible I guess, def. could have been worse. Hitting a house or if we went a foot further into the creek...that would have really sucked. Thanks for all the feedback guys.
Old Mar 07, 2010, 11:47 AM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotpearl View Post
That sucks to hear but thanks. Did a little research yesterday and did see that the EZglider has less room than the EZstar but to me it just looks like less of a toy. I need ailerons on my next AP bird. So if I go Ezstar I def. got to get the EZglider wings. The EZstar with tail only was like trying to turn a ship. It worked but not very well. I will do my research and see which way I want to go but thanks.
100% would agree that you want ailerons. But you don't have to get the EZglider wings to do that. It is very easy to add ailerons to the easystar wings...Get some HS-55 (hitec) or some cheap HXT900s from HK and buy some of the cheap aileron rods (or make your own...I personally LOVE the parkzone replacement ones for the typhoon, and they are CHEAP).

Regards,

-JM
Jhondra is offline Find More Posts by Jhondra