HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2010, 08:33 AM
Joined Jan 2005
49 Posts
Discussion
Real Flight Basic

I am considering purchasing Real Flight Basic. I know it lacks a lot of the features of the $200 version and it isn't upgradable, but I am doubting that I will never need those features. My main interest is to clean up turns, learn to fly inverted and do simple maneuvers. I am sure I will never be able to do 3D with my 75 year old eye-hand coordination, and the wind/weather around here doesn't give me enough practice time.

I tried out the pc demo version and also one in the local RC shop. The first thing I noticed was that I was over controlling terribly. Mainly this is why I use a lot of expo in my transmitter. The Real Flight web doesn't say anything about being able to plug my transmitter into the basic controller. My question is this:
Can I plug my transmitter into the Real Flight Basic controller, and if I can will the expo, mixing, etc. that I have programmed into the transmitter function? I'm not sure the dealer knows the answer to all of this, and I suppose I could take my xmtr to the store and try it out, but I don't know how much I could learn in the store environment.

Stu
sdculp is offline Find More Posts by sdculp
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2010, 08:39 AM
Joined May 2009
338 Posts
Stu,

what kind of TX do you have? Horizon's new sim. Phoenix, is a similar price but connects with Spectrum and JR transmitters out of the box. Adapters are promised for other models. It was reviewed right here on e-zone so may also be worth a look before you make a final choice.
philipm785 is offline Find More Posts by philipm785
Old Mar 06, 2010, 08:52 AM
Joined Jan 2005
49 Posts
My xmtr is a JR XP6102. I downloaded the Phoenix demo and watched it, but every time it completely blew Windows XP right back to the blue screen and command line. My dealer says Phoenix is back ordered, so that might be a good alternative. Is it common for the simulators to utilize trim, expo, mix and others from my xmtr?

Stu
sdculp is offline Find More Posts by sdculp
Old Mar 06, 2010, 10:25 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,645 Posts
If your pc crashed because you tried running even a simple demo, that tells me it's incapable of running any simulator
Xpress.. is online now Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Mar 06, 2010, 11:59 AM
Joined May 2009
338 Posts
Stu,

I can't speak for Real Flight but Phoenix uses the buddy box output on the transmitter so all trim, expo, and other settings from your controller will be included in the data sent to the computer. In theory, if the sim is good, they should have the same effect they would have on the real model.

Like Xpress, I'm concerned about the crash. Definitely check your specs against the minimum requirement.
philipm785 is offline Find More Posts by philipm785