SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 20, 2012, 08:56 AM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2009
891 Posts
I believe you'll need at least a 40 to 45 amp ESC to handle the 4s setup. I've built and flown a several and use the Castle Creations Ice Lite 50amp or the Pentium 65amp. I tried a Castle 45amp with a Don's Wicked motor but I kept hitting high voltage cutoff. The Pentium 65 works great for the money.
Double E is offline Find More Posts by Double E
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:18 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,860 Posts
We run the ElectriFly SS-35A brushless ESC - that's what is specified in the manual, that's what I run in mine. Not aware of any failures. But it is mounted just inside the inlet where it gets airflow. Now, our F-20 Tigershark uses the same motor and fan as the Evader, but in the Tigershark they use a 45A ESC. The difference being is the ESC in the Tigershark is burried down inside the fuse with little or no airflow.

The motor/fan in the Evader draws about 32.5A static, about 27A - 29A airborne (full-throttle). About 460A/minute airborne (full-throttle).

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2012, 02:32 AM
ZX-10R pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
383 Posts
Flew my little used Evader for the first time today, two flights. Man what a hoot! Fast and great vertical on a 4s 2200mah 25C. And the high pitched sound is really cool

Bungee launch works well.
setxws6 is offline Find More Posts by setxws6
Last edited by setxws6; Mar 28, 2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:28 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,762 Posts
Sadly, my Evader flew its last mission today. After two great tosses and flights, I lost its orientation on landing and she piled in. Broke the nose beyond repair. Took me several strong yanks to get the LiPo out of the nose. May put it together just enough to let my youngest son "fly" it around the house.

Not going to get another one either. I enjoyed the 15 or so flights I got out of it but have come to realize that it's just too small and fast for me to fly safely. And those landings were so damn looooong.

Best of luck to everyone. Enjoy your Evader!

-Lee
YarSmythe is offline Find More Posts by YarSmythe
Old Apr 01, 2012, 01:42 PM
ZX-10R pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
383 Posts
Damn, sorry to hear it got fubar'd. Unfortanatly for myself as well, I only had two good flights on mine as well. After doing a successful bungee launch I pulled up into a vertical. Then as it slowed down i started to roll it over on to it's back, to make a tight loop basically. But when I had the nose down and at full throttle, I tried to pull up and it just didn't want to pull up and smacked into the concrete I was flying over. I'm not sure why it didn't pull out, I was a full throttle and it should have had plenty of speed.

Oh well. It was a fun jet. And I'm thinking about getting another in the future. I liked how fast it was and it had great verticals. Until then I'll enjoy my slow PZ Habu lol
setxws6 is offline Find More Posts by setxws6
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:40 AM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by setxws6 View Post
Damn, sorry to hear it got fubar'd. Unfortanatly for myself as well, I only had two good flights on mine as well. After doing a successful bungee launch I pulled up into a vertical. Then as it slowed down i started to roll it over on to it's back, to make a tight loop basically. But when I had the nose down and at full throttle, I tried to pull up and it just didn't want to pull up and smacked into the concrete I was flying over. I'm not sure why it didn't pull out, I was a full throttle and it should have had plenty of speed.

Oh well. It was a fun jet. And I'm thinking about getting another in the future. I liked how fast it was and it had great verticals. Until then I'll enjoy my slow PZ Habu lol
Sorry to hijack, but If you want a fast foamie, the Twister really is a good one. I flew the evader and although it was ok, I get the same speed with the same battery with a big o'l Twister. I use a Globalfly MB-1 70mm unit (3300kv, i think)
Does 95-100mph level passes, same as evader, but super easy to hand toss.
I have a Habu and it's easy to fly, but not nearly as fast.

I know it's been said to death but the cheater hole on these GP composites(Evader and F-16) are really hideous sights to be seen. I thought the box pictures were showng an opened up access hatch! YIKES! Everyone at the field was quite unimpressed with the big gaping belly cutout. I can't blame them. Owner of said Evader feels a bit taken. I can't blame him either.
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind
Old May 16, 2012, 09:45 PM
Lexington, KY
Joined Oct 2009
701 Posts
To each his own but I never understood all the fuss about the cheater holes on this thing. A buddy has an Evader at our field and I got to fly it around for a few minutes. As small and fast as that thing was you'd have to have eyes like a hawk to notice the cheater hole on the bottom of the fuse.
cannondale1974 is offline Find More Posts by cannondale1974
Old May 17, 2012, 05:12 AM
It's like an addiction!
NY, Rochester
Joined Oct 2003
1,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannondale1974 View Post
To each his own but I never understood all the fuss about the cheater holes on this thing. A buddy has an Evader at our field and I got to fly it around for a few minutes. As small and fast as that thing was you'd have to have eyes like a hawk to notice the cheater hole on the bottom of the fuse.
Exactly my thoughts on that!!
Downwind3Zero is offline Find More Posts by Downwind3Zero
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:31 PM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,566 Posts
Has anybody tried a DS-26 unit in this bird???
super kupfer is offline Find More Posts by super kupfer
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:33 PM
hole digger
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2002
3,281 Posts
Anybody that would like one shoot me a PM. I have one in the closet I'll never build.

Pete
hole digger is offline Find More Posts by hole digger
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:24 AM
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Jul 2011
169 Posts
i'm thinking of moving up to this plane and don't really want to buy any more lipos. would 2650mah 4s' work with this plane? it's not really that much more mass but i don't know about the size. thanks.

Mike
dabears720 is offline Find More Posts by dabears720
Old Jun 19, 2012, 01:28 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Jan 2011
68 Posts
Tax Evader

A battery with 35mm on a side and 120-140mm long will fit. At around 300 grams it'll sit ahead of the wing leading edge 45mm(1 3/4 in.).

Yeah, if you wanna go fast you go with high wing loading, no dihedral or washout and thin semi-symmetrical airfoils at the root and symmetrical at the tip. You pull the Econokote and glass all the flight surfaces. The high-power system is heavy. The resulting flight characteristics make it a machine that only a velocity hound could love. Full speed ahead!
Fanflyer is offline Find More Posts by Fanflyer
Old Jun 19, 2012, 01:45 PM
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Jul 2011
169 Posts
sounds great i'll check my batt specs when i get a chance.

I think i can handle this. the closest i have to it is a stryker (big and little) and a custom built 70mm airfield/fms f-16 w/ a lander fan.

im going to wait a bit to buy it but i already can't wait!

Mike
dabears720 is offline Find More Posts by dabears720
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:26 PM
F-OFF
Joined Mar 2007
1,057 Posts
just picked one up!

nice little jet cant wait to get started, What servos are you guys liking in your birds?

I will probably be running a wicked 4400+
imyohero is offline Find More Posts by imyohero
Old Jun 26, 2012, 07:45 PM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2009
891 Posts
You only need two. I used some Hitec HS 65's and am running the Wicked 4800 with a 45amp pentium esc.
Double E is offline Find More Posts by Double E