HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:58 PM
Joined Sep 2008
30 Posts
Anyone have some suggestions of some suitable futaba-compatible servos for this bird that don't cost $70.00 a piece?
Titan176 is offline Find More Posts by Titan176
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:24 PM
"My grandma wants to fly jets"
Richmond, VA
Joined Feb 2008
461 Posts
I've had great luck w/ these: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=10345 The Corona 929MG are under $5, weigh 12.5g, and have 2.2kg of torque... hard to beat. Or the Corona 939mg are $6 and have 2.7g of torque.http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=10346
heychas is offline Find More Posts by heychas
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:01 PM
Houston, TX
Joined May 2003
744 Posts
Anything should work. There is not much load on them. I would probably go with hs-65s. Mine came with hs-85s and I think they are overkill.
hybris is offline Find More Posts by hybris
Old Mar 08, 2012, 02:23 AM
ZX-10R pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
383 Posts
Hey guys, just bought this jet used from a fellow rcgroup'er, had a good question...

The jet I bought didn't come with the bungee system, and my question is, how many of you successfully hand launch this little jet? It just arrived yesterday, and upon feeling the AUW and seeing it has a lot of thrust for such a small fan, I figure it shouldn't be hard to over hand launch it.

I'm still skimming through this thread trying to find some good info just for goodness sake too.

PS: I also saw someone mention about making wing gates to help out with tip stall tendencies and wondered if anyone had tried this. It seems like a good idea.
setxws6 is offline Find More Posts by setxws6
Last edited by setxws6; Mar 08, 2012 at 02:57 AM.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 07:48 AM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,719 Posts
@setxws6

I toss mine underhand on launch. I've had a few squirrely tosses but, on the whole, this works fine. Of the 2-3 other pilots I know that own one, they prefer to use the bungee system.
YarSmythe is offline Find More Posts by YarSmythe
Old Mar 08, 2012, 07:54 AM
ZX-10R pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
383 Posts
Underhanded huh. Seems you'd be able to put more elbow in the throw with an overhand and get a higher launch speed. Do you have any video of you underhanding or maybe know where a vid might be, I'd like to see that.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 08:27 AM
Houston, TX
Joined May 2003
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by setxws6 View Post
Hey guys, just bought this jet used from a fellow rcgroup'er, had a good question...

The jet I bought didn't come with the bungee system, and my question is, how many of you successfully hand launch this little jet? It just arrived yesterday, and upon feeling the AUW and seeing it has a lot of thrust for such a small fan, I figure it shouldn't be hard to over hand launch it.

I'm still skimming through this thread trying to find some good info just for goodness sake too.

PS: I also saw someone mention about making wing gates to help out with tip stall tendencies and wondered if anyone had tried this. It seems like a good idea.
Mine came used without the bungee too. I did a hand lanch and it was not fun. I then tried a friends bungee and it was hands off, super easy. I since bought a replacement bungee from Tower. Worth the $10 to me.
hybris is offline Find More Posts by hybris
Old Mar 08, 2012, 03:09 PM
"My grandma wants to fly jets"
Richmond, VA
Joined Feb 2008
461 Posts
I've only bungee launched... and it is a no brainer. I'd recommend buying the bungee, as well.
heychas is offline Find More Posts by heychas
Old Mar 08, 2012, 03:42 PM
ZX-10R pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
383 Posts
Okay, thanks for the input guys. I'll prob go ahead and get the bungee then.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:08 AM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,719 Posts
It may not look 'sexy', but this was a good toss. Straight up, no roll.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=444
YarSmythe is offline Find More Posts by YarSmythe
Old Mar 09, 2012, 11:44 AM
ZX-10R pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
383 Posts
LOL yes I just saw that pic yesterday. Great pic btw! Proves it can be done. Did you normally have a good headwind to throw it in? Did you ever throw it with no wind?

Also to guys with the bungee. How long is the thing once it's stretched to launch position?
Old Mar 09, 2012, 02:52 PM
It's like an addiction!
NY, Rochester
Joined Oct 2003
1,491 Posts
Mu buddy throws mine for me. Only one missed launch and that was with no wind. With wind it works, looks ugly feels ugly and you really need to fly the thing low until it has built up speed before pulling up
Chris
Downwind3Zero is online now Find More Posts by Downwind3Zero
Old Mar 10, 2012, 06:20 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,605 Posts
Glad there is a little activity on the Evader thread.

I love the bungee - sure, guys have success hand-launching, but the bungee is "brainless" and "money." It just always works. The worst part is I usually forget to wind it back up before I go home. Then I get out to the field the next day and am relieved to find it didn't get wound up around someone's prop!

Can't wait to get my Evader back out (should have/could have flown it today!).

I dunno, I'd say it's about 30' - 40' all stretched out.

Tim
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
Old Mar 11, 2012, 01:06 AM
ZX-10R pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
383 Posts
Oh okay. Yea the few videos I've seen of people bungee launching, the distance from the launch stake in the ground to the jet, stretched out, looks like 100'... 40' is not that far though. Just was wondering, plannng it's use in my mind. I ordered it a few days ago...
Old Mar 20, 2012, 07:45 AM
St. Joseph, MI
Joined Dec 2010
31 Posts
Hey guys, thinking about buying the EDF Jet..
I have a e-flight 30 amp ESC. Just wondering if that will work for this plane. Thanks
RacerScott is offline Find More Posts by RacerScott