Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:33 PM
Lexington, KY
Joined Oct 2009
701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
On sale at tower:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LW8192&P=E

sale is $20 off regular with free shipping and add in code 011G3 for $25 more off so $134.96 shipped

Plus get a $15 rebate here:
http://www.towerhobbies.com/promos/1...arf_rebate.pdf

so after mail in rebate: $119.96

Don
Holy cow that's a smokin' deal! Back to the Rifle for a sec, got to fly one tonight, OMG that thing cooks! Bone stock and it hauls the mail, makes a really cool sound while cutting through the air too. I can't imagine one of the modified ones at 165 mph, insane.
cannondale1974 is online now Find More Posts by cannondale1974
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2011, 02:21 PM
United States, AL, Southside
Joined Jun 2006
35 Posts
To get the 011G3 code you have to be a member of the Super Saver club. It's just 10 bucks to join, still a great deal. Drue
Geurin is offline Find More Posts by Geurin
Old Jun 18, 2011, 05:00 PM
"Chuck Yeager"
Bradenton FL
Joined Apr 2010
842 Posts
Just got mine but it is missing the main wing landing skids,decal sheet, bungee hook, and instruction manual I can do with out everything execpt the bungee hook and the landing skids

This stinks I wanted to fly it tommorow
hotdog1 is offline Find More Posts by hotdog1
Old Jun 19, 2011, 07:02 AM
Joined Jun 2011
134 Posts
Im running a Dons Wicked 4400 with a 60amp esc and TP 2250 45c (4s). This thing trucks for sure! One thing people really need to spend time on (even stock) is the balancing of the fan. A properly balanced fan can gain you a few thousand rpm's sometimes, and not destroy your airplane. My fan spins 53-54,000 rpms for the first few minutes and is smooth as glass. The sound is so much better as well. The evader is a fun little plane to fly if its built correctly..and certainly fast! Flight times are a little shorter with this setup I think. 3 1/2-4 min. depending on how you fly
Boothcj is offline Find More Posts by Boothcj
Old Jun 19, 2011, 07:24 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog1 View Post
Just got mine but it is missing the main wing landing skids,decal sheet, bungee hook, and instruction manual I can do with out everything execpt the bungee hook and the landing skids

This stinks I wanted to fly it tommorow
I'm sorry about the missing parts hotdog 1. Where did you get your Evader from? Have you contacted Product Support about this yet? I'm sure they'll get the stuff right out to you.

You can continue assembly with the manual on-line...

http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpma1800-manual.pdf

If you really wanted, you could fly it without the skids. We flew prototypes for a long time before I made a set of skids. If you have a nice grass site there should be no problem, but I definitely would add the skids ASAP.

As far as a bungee hook, I had to make one once too. If you have a 3mm bolt with a non-threaded shoulder portion that works best (like from a muffler bolt from a glow engine). You can bend the bolt just after the threads and cut it to length--a cutoff wheel is best.

In the mean time, please do contact Product Support and tell them about your missing parts and they should get the stuff right out to you even if they have to rob them from another kit.

Tim
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2011, 07:48 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothcj View Post
Im running a Dons Wicked 4400 with a 60amp esc and TP 2250 45c (4s). This thing trucks for sure! One thing people really need to spend time on (even stock) is the balancing of the fan. A properly balanced fan can gain you a few thousand rpm's sometimes, and not destroy your airplane. My fan spins 53-54,000 rpms for the first few minutes and is smooth as glass. The sound is so much better as well. The evader is a fun little plane to fly if its built correctly..and certainly fast! Flight times are a little shorter with this setup I think. 3 1/2-4 min. depending on how you fly
I found an easy way to balance the fan. I've got a couple of these running now and they are astonishingly smooth. They make the plane just about "whisper" quiet.

What you do is synch the fan to the brass adapter, then the cone to the fan. It's pretty easy and takes a few minutes.

What I do, before or while breaking it in, is after the brass fan adapter has been mounted to the motor shaft, is permanently mark the top of the hex part of the adapter along any one of the six sides of the hex with a felt-tip pen or better yet, drilling a small dimple. This way you will always be able to see the mark after the motor has been installed in the fuse if you ever have to pull the fan later.

Mount the motor in the fan housing.

Next, install the fan to the adapter, but not the cone. Secure the fan to the adapter with the bolt and a washer so you can run it up.

Use heavy protective gloves and eye protection. Make sure there is no one else around.

Run it up gradually increasing rpm. If you note the blades contacting the inside of the housing you may have to remove the fan and realign the motor--it may not be perfectly centered.

When you can get the fan up to full rpm note how smooth it is (or is not). If it's not very smooth, take the fan off and re mount it to the adapter rotating it "one hex" over. Install the bolt and run it up again. Do this until you find the smoothest orientation out of the six possible.

Once you get the smoothest orientation, permanently mark the side of the hub on the fan that aligns with the mark you made earlier on the adapter. Now, you'll always be able to realign the fan with the adapter.

Now we have to match the cone to the fan. Remove the bolt from the fan and mount the cone to the fan (with the washer). Use a lead pencil to make a temporary mark on the side of the cone that aligns with any one of the fan blades. Run the system up noting any vibration. Loosen the bolt, rotate the mark on the cone to the next blade, tighten the bolt and run it up again. Do this until you "zero-in" on the smoothest orientation. You should be able to get it pretty smooth. Once done, make a dimple in the cone that aligns with the dimple in the side of the fan.

Now all three are synchronized and can be re-synched if they ever have to be removed from the model.

I already said it once, but I've done this for a few EDF setups running this HyperFlow and they are smooth as glass and much quieter in the air too!

I'm right there with you boothcj on run time. I have my flight timer set to 3-1/2 minutes. I usually fly WOT the whole flight. She consumes about 430 - 450mah/minute (if memory serves me correctly). If you use the 20% rule (20% battery capacity remaining after a flight), for a 2200mAh pack that would "allow" you to use 1760mah. 1760mAh / 450mAh/minute = about four minutes. Setting your timer to 3.5 minutes gives you a little left over for safety and a few landing attempts.

Tim
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by KRProton; Jun 19, 2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 12:41 PM
Joined Jun 2011
134 Posts
Thats pretty much how I did my fan as well. I did fill the spinner with finishing resin to make it more stable at high rpm. I stole that trick from Don on his evader build. Another good thing about Dons motors is that they are a much cleaner installation. You dont have a big mess of wires hanging behind the motor to cause drag. Being an outrunner the motor has much better cooling as well. I figured that since its a PITA to take the motor in/out I might as well do it up right from the get go. Glad I did, Its a fun little jet for sure
Boothcj is offline Find More Posts by Boothcj
Old Jul 01, 2011, 12:10 PM
"Chuck Yeager"
Bradenton FL
Joined Apr 2010
842 Posts
anybody have trouble finding the hole for the bungee hook ?
Old Jul 01, 2011, 12:15 PM
Chandler, AZ
Joined Nov 2008
544 Posts
Use a magnet.
balistc1000 is offline Find More Posts by balistc1000
Old Jul 01, 2011, 12:48 PM
"Chuck Yeager"
Bradenton FL
Joined Apr 2010
842 Posts
lol I just thought of that . it was covered with sheeting and covering and it is slightly off center
Old Jul 08, 2011, 08:02 PM
United States, IN, Scottsburg
Joined May 2005
91 Posts
I'm having problems getting the fan to run smooth, I marked and rotated the fan blade and ran it up to 50%, finding the truest run out before I mounted the unit in the plane. I lost the spinner trying to balance it, so I just left it off as others have done. It seemed pretty smooth, but I was afraid to take it much more then that without a testing stand.

I found the smoothest position and now after mounting it in the plane it seems to get a light vibrations at various RPM's. I have followed the breaking in of the fan and still the best/smoothest gives light vibrations. Working between 75% and 100% throttle its loud(my daughters ran and hid), at WOT the vibration is like a buzzing in my hand.

I filled any gaps around the the edge of the white intake flange and the inside frame of the plane. The one spot I didn't/ couldn't fill was at the top where the motor wires run through. It (the intake flange) started to crack at that one spot, so I CA'd the crack with flexible CA glue.

I did remount the motor and rotated it 180 degrees, PITA after putting that thing inside the plane, the brass adapter slides on all the way with no heat needed. The fan still seem to run smoothest in the same position on the adapter but still gives off that vibration.

The only other EDF I've had was a foam EDF, I'm just wondering if the fiberglass fuse is causing the feeling of the vibrations where as my foamy absorbed most of it.

Any other thoughts?
stoney7713 is offline Find More Posts by stoney7713
Old Jul 09, 2011, 05:38 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,490 Posts
You shouldn't feel anything but air from a fan when you get her done right. Order an assembled fan/motor combo from Don if you can't get it right!
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero
Old Jul 09, 2011, 05:44 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,813 Posts
Hey stoney,

sorry you're having difficulty getting your system to run smoothly. Before I figued out how to syncronize the adapter/fan/cone I just "ran what I had" in various prototypes of the Evader and the F-16. The first one I ever did I must have just lucked out because it was perfecty smooth at high rpm (but had a slight vibration somewhere along the runup). But some others after that were pretty noisy, including my own Evader I fly my self (the one I flew over in Muncie).

What I'm saying is if you can't get it to run perfectly, well, it's not the most-desirable situation, but I don't think you'll have any problems. And yes, the rather unsupported glass fuse does contribute to some of the noise. Again, in my own Evader I tried to quiet the vibration by applying strips of double-sided foam tape and 1mm foam over the tape running down along the inside of the fuse, but that didn't really help much. What I need to do is sync the fan, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet and keep on flying it just the way it is.

I've read a few accounts of guys in this thread running their fan without the cone to quiet the vibration, but I have found that mounting it in the certain position will also cancel (or at least partially cancel) the vibration. If you cannot find your spinner just run without it, but PM me your address and I'll send you another along with a fan.

Tim
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2011, 08:38 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,142 Posts
The spinner is the cause for 90% of the vibrations on this fan unit. I have assembled quite a few and it is always the same thing. Some spinners are not even completely round and have to be rotationally sanded to make them true again. You can run without the spinner but even so you may still need to balance to get it to run smoothly. Here is how I balanced mine for high power.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...06&postcount=3

If you want the stock motor/fan setup balanced I do offer it as a fee based service.

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2011, 03:40 PM
United States, IN, Scottsburg
Joined May 2005
91 Posts
Thanks Tim,

I went to the AMA 75th Anniversary in Muncie, got there a few days early, they had a lot of nice planes but only saw one EDF fly. I should of taken my Evader just to show it off, its just a really nice looking jet.

I took my Rifle with me but we were flying at site 4, site 3 was helis, site 5 was Nats, I just felt there was too many planes in the air at #4 to take it up. The skies stayed pretty crowded and we had to fly out pretty far from the flight lines, they had markers set up we had to stay beyond.

There was a few pylon racers that flew but nothing I saw matched the speed of the Rifle.

Overall though it was another great trip to AMA, too many things to mention, some really amazing models flew and kicking back at the campgrounds we watched the Nats sailplane competition, the winds and thermals kept them flying right above us like vultures circling their prey
stoney7713 is offline Find More Posts by stoney7713