It only has a "cheater hole".
Geurin is offline Find More Posts by Geurin
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2011, 10:46 AM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,766 Posts
I haven't flown my Evader in months. The weather here in Houston has been extremely windy. Probably 5-6 weeks of 15+ mph winds with gusts over 25 mph. Very odd. Not to mention we hit 93 yesterday and it appears it's only going to get worse.

My last outing with the Evader was good but I think I might be having motor problems. I was running 112 mph stock last year. However, I'm down to 100 mph with the same setup. I need to examine the motor and fan to see if any of the grass/debris flying up through the cheater hole has caused problems. Sounds ok but I think my RPMs are lower.

It currently hangs in my youngest son's room. He always asks me to fly it.

-Lee
YarSmythe is offline Find More Posts by YarSmythe
Old May 10, 2011, 11:54 AM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Oct 2006
126 Posts
Try a NEW battery...
Paul
classicmarble is offline Find More Posts by classicmarble
Old May 15, 2011, 12:44 AM
United States, AL, Southside
Joined Jun 2006
35 Posts
I might be a dumb blank, but what is the string with the bungee launch for? Thanks. Drue
Old May 15, 2011, 01:13 AM
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
Joined Jan 2004
640 Posts
Basically the short answer is to get it up!!! The Evader is tricky to hand launch so the bungee setup gives it that extra boost to go flying. Swept wing equals less lift until it gets up to speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geurin View Post
I might be a dumb blank, but what is the string with the bungee launch for? Thanks. Drue
pylot2b is offline Find More Posts by pylot2b
Old May 15, 2011, 08:47 AM
Joined Jun 2006
35 Posts
I know what the bungee is for but what does the white string do?
Drue
Old May 15, 2011, 11:30 AM
"My grandma wants to fly jets"
Richmond, VA
Joined Feb 2008
485 Posts
My understanding is the string is for safety. If the stake were to pull out, the string helps create distance for the stake to lose energy before it hits you The bungee help thread has a bunch of good info if you want to learn more about bungee operations.
heychas is offline Find More Posts by heychas
Old May 15, 2011, 12:06 PM
Joined Jun 2006
35 Posts
That makes sense. Thanks.
Old May 16, 2011, 11:59 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,894 Posts
The string extends the length of the system. You could make it the same length with all tubing and no string, but you'd have to walk that much farther back to get the same "pull." You get the required tension with the length of tubing and the length/launch you want with the added string.
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2011, 02:33 PM
Joined Jun 2006
35 Posts
I'd like to think everone that posted on this thread with useful info (not the cheater hole goobers) it made my build and first flight a lot less eventful!

I flew the first two flights without the string, and then realized how to use it right, reattached the string and put on two more flights. Couldn't tell much of a difference but I like the idea useing the string from a saftey standpoint. Thanks heychas

The bungee system really makes the launch a lot easier. I've watched a lot of videos of botched bungee launches and was very nervous. It couldn't have went smoother, I just streched it to the max and let her go.

First flight I launched on high rates, the Evader tried to roll right and climb. I know now why you want a buddy along. I usually fly alone on the first few flights to keep the stress down. Took several laps of the field to get it trimmed out. Then I started to fly more agressive. I almost lost it with a hard roll. Switch very quickly to low rates. Who would ever need, or could control that fast of a roll! I drop the high rate to half way between the two. I set the evevator on rates max for high and low.

This Evader is moving fast but very fun to fly. After my first two flights on the recomended CG I moved the CG back 1/4 inch and it's still has a long and hot glide rate, but I'm sure I will get use to it.

Sorry for the book report, I don't post often so I guess I had alot to say. This Evader is a keeper (if I can keep it together ). Thanks again for the info guys. Drue
Last edited by Geurin; May 17, 2011 at 03:27 AM.
Old May 21, 2011, 09:23 AM
Joined Jun 2006
35 Posts
Twelve flights and all is well. I've checked my sevro retainers (which I covered in a small amount of epoxy) before each flight. All is well so far. Bungee launches are noneventful, just back up 25 to 26 steps and turn her loose.

The Evader flys like it's on rails. Turns and rolls very nicely. Love to do semi-low high speed passes and climb out almost strait up and roll over the top. Read earlier in the thread some folks stalling and going into a flatspin, so I'll nose over a little sooner than normal to retain alittle more airspeed.

I have the ailerons set to low rates and the elevators set to high rates with neg. 30% expo on each. Seems to work well for me.

I had to change my flying fields. The Evader comes so hot it's hard to bleed off speed before landing. My nabor's pasture is just to ruff to land on. so I go to my parents house about 10 miles away. My nabor rents and runs heavy equipment and has offered to smooth out a runway before. I guess I'll have to take him up on it. He hasn't seen this plane yet I wanted to kept it a secret untill I had a few flights under my belt. Drue
Old May 24, 2011, 12:52 AM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2009
891 Posts
Funny story about my Evader. I was flying at GMA outside of Atlanta when the incident happened. I launched the Evader and was coming out of a split S for a high speed pass down the runway. At a top speed of about 120mph with my Don's Wicked motor I had a mid air collision with my buddy Pedro's Parkzone P-47. The Evader sliced through the tail feathers and nearly cut the main wing in half. I struggled to keep control of the Evader but once it shed the excess foam from the P-47 I brought it in for a landing. Minor scapes and cracks in the gelcoat but everything was fine. I ended up flying a few more times that afternoon. Is that the first first confirmed air-to-air kill for the Evader?

I spotted the Great Planes F-16 at Joe Nall. It should be another great performer like the Evader. I pre-ordered one through my LHS but they are not scheduled for shipment until mid July.
Double E is offline Find More Posts by Double E
Old May 24, 2011, 01:11 AM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2009
891 Posts
I've been running a Don's Wicked 4800KV motor in my Evader since last year. 120mph is my guess and I fly at full throttle 80% of the time with 3:30 minute flight times on 30C 2200mah 4s packs. I enjoy flying this bird more than my 90mm edfs and my new Habu 32. It always grabs a lot of attention at the field because it moves so quickly for a small jet. The only thing that is more impressive is when I put up my 160mph Sokol pylon racer. Rediculous speed for a 28 inch wingspan.
Old May 24, 2011, 10:06 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,894 Posts
Thanks for the posts Drue. Glad you're enjoying your Evader. Sounds like you're ready to show it off to your buddy.

Congratulations Double E for coming out on the good end of the mid-air. Always wondered what would happen if that thing mid-aired. Now I guess we know.

I know what you mean about comparing your Evader to your Sokol. I fly a Rifle (have six of them, fastest 600+ Watts, around 165mph). After flying the Rifle, the Evader is "relaxing."

Might have to try that Don's Wicked 4800. It just drop in?

Thanks!

Tim
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old May 25, 2011, 12:09 AM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2009
891 Posts
Yep, the Don's Wicked 4800 is a simple drop in replacement. The great thing is that it is an outrunner and the motor stays nice and cool even though the plane is whistling through the wind.