HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2010, 12:05 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,524 Posts
the more i look at these...the more like them....with a few tweaks, this could be one killer little sport job!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2010, 06:33 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora View Post
Fun clips Tim! The bungee is definitely an almost guaranteed perfect launch.

But I STILL want to try at least one hand launch ...
Hi Bajora.

Some of the guys at work who have these have hand-launched them underhanded (holding the fuse from the top exactly the same way you would with the bungee).

But I believe they still prefer the bungee.
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
Old May 23, 2010, 07:00 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
the more i look at these...the more like them....with a few tweaks, this could be one killer little sport job!
What would you "tweak."

I was wondering that my self...

Different motor? Don't really want to mess with the fan. A rudder would be nice, but don't want the weight. Some sort of slick tow hook would be nice (instead of that unsightly, bent-over rod). Definitely going to do a re cover and paint on another though.
Old May 23, 2010, 09:24 AM
Quest for Speed!!!
Fremont,CA
Joined Aug 2005
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRProton View Post
What would you "tweak."

I was wondering that my self...

Different motor? Don't really want to mess with the fan. A rudder would be nice, but don't want the weight. Some sort of slick tow hook would be nice (instead of that unsightly, bent-over rod). Definitely going to do a re cover and paint on another though.
I think he is talking abt full inlet ducting...and closing off the cheater hole ..hence less turbulent air to the fan..

Mike
Mike_eee is online now Find More Posts by Mike_eee
Old May 23, 2010, 11:07 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,640 Posts
...also less thrust at lower speeds (during the launch), but maybe with the bungee it wouldn't be a problem. Interesting...
Old May 23, 2010, 11:36 AM
Quest for Speed!!!
Fremont,CA
Joined Aug 2005
1,190 Posts
Quote:
...also less thrust at lower speeds (during the launch), but maybe with the bungee it wouldn't be a problem. Interesting...
what esc and bec ..did u use in ur set up..iam planning to use cc35..but on 4 cell iam sure i need to use a bec...how abt a park bec?

Mike
Old May 23, 2010, 04:07 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,640 Posts
Why of course Mike, I use only Great Planes and Futaba equipment.

Seriously, to answer your question, I'm just using the GP SS-35 ESC just as illustrated in the instruction manual.

I'm using Turnegy 4S 2200 40-50C batteries.
Old May 24, 2010, 11:46 PM
United States, NY, Saugerties
Joined Jun 2005
91 Posts
What is a realistic field size for landing one of these for a moderate pilot? I have the plane and two fields I fly at. One field is almost an hour away (the big one of course, which would be optimal, 100's of acres of farm field) and the smaller field is 5-10 minutes away. I'd love to fly this thing but I have seen the warnings about needing a lot of landing space. We have some guys flying 1/4 and 1/3rd scale (barely) out of the smaller field. Unfortunately I only make it to the large field about once a month and it's killing me to get the Evader flying.

Here's a aerial view of the smaller field. The dirt road to the field's parking lot is 1 lane wide and the building is about 10x20 for reference.

Thanks for any input!
jcaywood is online now Find More Posts by jcaywood
Old May 25, 2010, 06:45 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,640 Posts
That site looks plenty large to me. I've been flying my Evader quite a bit recently and I noticed it slows more than I first recall (not like the Rifle which doesn't slow much!). On touchdown it slides sometimes as little as just ten feet or so. The trick is to cut the throttle, initiate your descending approach and get the plane over the field. Just float along about a foot or so off the ground continually applying up elevator until she touches down. Depending on your approach sometimes she just keeps floating and floating (well, not really floating, more like coasting) by. In your case you just want to make sure the last part is over your grass.

I would get it in the air (bungee recommended), get it trimmed out and fly it around for three minutes. I set my timer at four, so I usually have a good 30 sec to a minute of full power if needed to wait for traffic to clear (if necessary). In your case, with two minutes of full power left you will have enough power to practice several approaches until you get one you like--just leave your self extra battery power/time for practice approaches. I think you'll be a a little surprised how well the Evader lands--just make sure you bleed off all the air speed by holding that elevator when the plane is skimming the ground about a foot off.

Tim
Last edited by KRProton; May 25, 2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old May 25, 2010, 09:14 AM
United States, NY, Saugerties
Joined Jun 2005
91 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the info Tim, I might give it a spin tonight!
jcaywood is online now Find More Posts by jcaywood
Old May 25, 2010, 12:56 PM
Quest for Speed!!!
Fremont,CA
Joined Aug 2005
1,190 Posts
When are these gonna be in stock..not even one online store has them in stock.

Mike

Quote:
That site looks plenty large to me. I've been flying my Evader quite a bit recently and I noticed it slows more than I first recall (not like the Rifle which doesn't slow much!). On touchdown it slides sometimes as little as just ten feet or so. The trick is to cut the throttle, initiate your descending approach and get the plane over the field. Just float along about a foot or so off the ground continually applying up elevator until she touches down. Depending on your approach sometimes she just keeps floating and floating (well, not really floating, more like coasting) by. In your case you just want to make sure the last part is over your grass.

I would get it in the air (bungee recommended), get it trimmed out and fly it around for three minutes. I set my timer at four, so I usually have a good 30 sec to a minute of full power if needed to wait for traffic to clear (if necessary). In your case, with two minutes of full power left you will have enough power to practice several approaches until you get one you like--just leave your self extra battery power/time for practice approaches. I think you'll be a a little surprised how well the Evader lands--just make sure you bleed off all the air speed by holding that elevator when the plane is skimming the ground about a foot off.

Tim
Old May 25, 2010, 03:48 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,640 Posts
Some are in transit now--due in about a week, but not quite enough to fill back-orders. The longer you've had one on back-order the more likely I'd say it is that you'll be getting one from this shipment. But if you just ordered one recently I'd say you'll probably end up waiting until the next shipment which is at the end of June. That will fill all back-orders at this time.

This is just my best estimation of the situation--I can look at the numbers on the computer (how many are coming, how many on back-order), but have nothing to do with ordering, processing, etc. I just build stuff.
Old May 25, 2010, 04:22 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,599 Posts
Mike, I just rang the HUSA that I KEEP telling you about () and they do still have the two Evaders on the shelf that I saw a few weeks back. It is a wee bit of a drive for you perhaps BUT you may be able to call them and arrange shipping if you do not care to venture northward an hour or so? So, if you REALLY want one bro...
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite Allusive 2.2M
Old May 25, 2010, 04:53 PM
Quest for Speed!!!
Fremont,CA
Joined Aug 2005
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora View Post
Mike, I just rang the HUSA that I KEEP telling you about () and they do still have the two Evaders on the shelf that I saw a few weeks back. It is a wee bit of a drive for you perhaps BUT you may be able to call them and arrange shipping if you do not care to venture northward an hour or so? So, if you REALLY want one bro...
Last weekend I looked up and the 1.30 hr dive each way just put me off...

Are you going by the shop anytime??
Old May 25, 2010, 07:23 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,599 Posts
AH, you guys who have never had to commute for a living! My last job involved a 55 mile drive each way!

That HUSA is only minutes from my place ... I drive by it several times a day while working.
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite Allusive 2.2M