HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2010, 03:59 AM
Joined Oct 2009
264 Posts
Discussion
Micro Tiger Moth build log

Recently I've wanted to build a small cheap scale plane to fly in small places. So I found free plans of a sheet balsa Tiger Moth on http://www.smallflyingarts.com/. It's a fairly large micro model, it has about 35 cm wingspan. But it looked really simple to just cut out the pieces and basically just glue them together and the model is finished.

I also picked up a really ugly and cheap plane, the "silverlit single wing plane". It's basically a 2 channel plane with throttle control and an actuator. The motor is geared and seems to have a 4.5x3 GWS (ripoff) prop which is probably good. Well the silverlit plane sucked. It flies but it's just too stone age. It seems to have a 4 step "proportional" throttle. The rudder actuator is just on/off. But hey it was cheap.... So I destroyed the foamy parts to get to the electronics. And then I discovered that theres no LiPo! They actually put a 80 mAh NiMh pack in there. But what the heck. Let's try anyway!
Truckerboy is offline Find More Posts by Truckerboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2010, 04:01 AM
Joined Oct 2009
264 Posts
This build was really quick. I didn't bother painting it or anything, I want to test the design first! If it flies, then maybe I'll make another one and make it look nicer. This one I made out of spare balsa that I had lying around. So it's not the lightest balsa there is. AUW is now at a blistering 30 (!) grams. Wing loading is about 8-9 g/dm^2 so it should be able to fly with enough power. For a $15 plane you can't be picky :-)
Last edited by Truckerboy; Mar 06, 2010 at 04:07 AM.
Old Mar 06, 2010, 09:45 AM
Nothing flies like a Pitts
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Aug 2006
317 Posts
You really should get some parkzone gear. The tiger deserve it
Meshuggah is offline Find More Posts by Meshuggah
Old Mar 06, 2010, 10:35 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,050 Posts
Looks very neat. How long did it take you?

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Mar 07, 2010, 07:15 AM
Joined Oct 2009
264 Posts
Took a coupe of evenings or so. I really recommend this build because of the simplicity. And the CG ended up spot on! Actually the drawing lists the placement of all RC gear and even where to place a 3s NiMh of this size or a 1s LiPo for correct CG. So I'm counting on that the plane will fly!
Old Mar 07, 2010, 10:43 AM
Joined Oct 2009
264 Posts
It flies!! It's slow and stable and can actually fly at really low throttle! The rudder is responsive and it feels like the throw is perfect (considering it's "on/off"). It also glides really good. CG was perfect. Only "problem" I found is that it needed more down thrust! So just a little bit of tinkering and it'll fly great!

Woohoo! :-)
Last edited by Truckerboy; Mar 07, 2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2010, 02:15 PM
SlingWinger
San Bernardino, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
1,632 Posts
Congrats! Show and tell some more!
I love throttle and rudder only control.
dayhead is offline Find More Posts by dayhead
Old Mar 07, 2010, 04:14 PM
Joined Oct 2009
264 Posts
I'm going to try to get a video shot of the moth. Just need to get someone to film it!
Old Mar 07, 2010, 11:17 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
946 Posts
Great Job! I built that one too a couple years ago. I used the same gear but I made mine out of thin foam from hefty dinner plates. I also liked the micro pitts. The gear works great in that also and it looks so cool. I could never get the balsa to bend well enough for mine though. When people see these planes they are really impressed huh!
looks good.
MUTCAKE is offline Find More Posts by MUTCAKE