5,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinman View Post
Alright, so I think my setup will be:

Ammo 24-33-3500 motor $40

EMP Scimitar 4.5x4.5 prop $2

Silver Series 25 esc $35

2x HS-65hb servos 2x - $46

Hyperion g3 3s 2100mah to start out with and if it feels to heavy i'll buy some 1600's

For the reciever I bet I can find a spektrum ar6100 lying around

Total of electronics: $123 Weight of electronics (with 2100 bat) 282g or 10oz
Total with Rifle: $233

Sounds like a great deal to me considering most other pylon airframes cost that much alone!
hello, I think with that 3500kv motor and a 4.5x4.5 propp you will be over 35Amps, I think maybee more then 40 Amps, so maybee the 25A esc will be to small..
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2010, 08:04 PM
Mini Raven!!
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
Thanks for your input sebbe, but I tested it on the neu motor calculator (once again I know it's not very accurate) and it said 29 amps static. I will test it when I actually get the motor, and find the right prop from there, but it should unload a lot when flying anyway. Also, the motor is only rated for 25 amps so there is no point in getting a 40a esc in the first place .

@XtremeWingRC and johnnyrocco123, just to clear things up will I be fine with hs-55's too or is there some reason I need metal/karbonite gears ?
austinman is offline Find More Posts by austinman
Last edited by austinman; May 05, 2010 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Whops, just noticed the motor is rated for 25a, not 28
Old Apr 25, 2010, 08:57 PM
Fast? I got something 4 ya!
United States, WI, Oak Creek
Joined Oct 2007
2,596 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for your input sebbe, but I tested it on the neu motor calculator (once again I know it's not very accurate) and it said 29 amps static. I will test it when I actually get the motor, and find the right prop from there, but it should unload a lot when flying anyway. Also, the motor is only rated for 28 amps so there is no point in getting a 40a esc in the first place .

@XtremeWingRC and johnnyrocco123, just to clear things up will I be fine with hs-55's too or is there some reason I need metal/karbonite gears ?
The karbonite gears should hold a better center, as the metal are great too, but you have to factor another thing in if it happens. What could happen is if you bang around the ailerons which then puts pressure on the servos alot, you could get "slop" in the gears. I think karbonites take longer over time "wear and tear" to get slop. Try not to land the thing and cartwheel it. Just some heads-up on that thought on metal and karbonite gears. I dunno....everyone has there beliefs and conspiracys.

casey
XtremeWingRC is offline Find More Posts by XtremeWingRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Ritewing Z3 S build
Old Apr 25, 2010, 10:29 PM
Mini Raven!!
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
HS-55's it is then! I was just worried about stripping a gear in-flight from over stressing it, when all you're talking about is a little slop. I am trying to keep this as a budget racer .
Old Apr 25, 2010, 11:24 PM
Antarctica
Joined Dec 2009
267 Posts
In my opinion, if you're going to use hs-55s, you might as well buy the $2.99 servos from HK. Same quality, again, in my opinion.

I only use hs-65hbs. I have some that I bought in 2008, and they are still in the same airplane. Haven't stripped one yet, and they have absolutely no slop in them. I bought a few hs-55s. I no longer have them, or the planes they were in.

Again though, to each his own. Some people don't mind replacing airplanes; I do.
bob_loblaw is offline Find More Posts by bob_loblaw
Old Apr 25, 2010, 11:42 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_loblaw View Post
In my opinion, if you're going to use hs-55s, you might as well buy the $2.99 servos from HK. Same quality, again, in my opinion.

I only use hs-65hbs. I have some that I bought in 2008, and they are still in the same airplane. Haven't stripped one yet, and they have absolutely no slop in them. I bought a few hs-55s. I no longer have them, or the planes they were in.

Again though, to each his own. Some people don't mind replacing airplanes; I do.
I have to chime in on this one. HS-55's are in no way on the same level as HXT500's. They are also faster then HXT 900's. I would not put HXT servos in a pylon racer. They are good for park flyers up to 60mph. I have used all three of these servos for a long time and I have learned to only trust HXT 500's in small foamies like profiles. 900's are much better but not in planes going 100mph+.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Apr 25, 2010, 11:43 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_loblaw View Post
Some people don't mind replacing airplanes
But thats the fun part!
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Rocket Crash
Old Apr 25, 2010, 11:47 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,100 Posts
I have to chime in on the servo subject. I have had several planes go down due to cheap servos. I gotta say I think its worth the extra little bit of money to go with some higher end servos. You could use the cheap servos and never have a problem with them but IMO its worth the peace of mind to know its not going to crap out on you after you pass that 100MHP mark.

Just one guys opinion.
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Rocket Crash
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:31 AM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,587 Posts
Quote:
HS-55's it is then! I was just worried about stripping a gear in-flight from over stressing it, when all you're talking about is a little slop. I am trying to keep this as a budget racer .
I would recommend HS-56HBs or HS-65HBs. There are certain steps that must be taken to garuntee that an HS-55 will work, and even then its hit and miss. Also, they have a much higher tendency to burn out then most other servos. My family and I use them often in our competition equipment, but only in positions that aren't critical (throttle), and they have a tendency to just poop out.

Spend the extra money and get a good set of servos. I would recommend Karbonite gears as well. You won't regret it.

Kid
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:50 AM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekid3418 View Post
...but only in positions that aren't critical (throttle), and they have a tendency to just poop out.

Kid
Just a question. When is the throttle not critical? Nothing like losing the throttle on a missed approach and not having enough airspeed to make it back around.

HS-55s are good for foamies and nothing else IMO
plane_tech is online now Find More Posts by plane_tech
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:59 AM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane_tech View Post
Just a question. When is the throttle not critical? Nothing like losing the throttle on a missed approach and not having enough airspeed to make it back around.

HS-55s are good for foamies and nothing else IMO
We fly combat, and the throttle is essentially just a kill, as otherwise you are at WOT the whole time. Also, the planes dont have landing gear, so you land dead stick every time anyway.

Very much like a pylon model. Either full bore or nothing (for the most part)
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old Apr 26, 2010, 01:40 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Feb 2004
2,110 Posts
Since this has turned into a servo thread, I just wanted to add a favorable impression of the HS45. If the hs56 is too big for you, but you're looking for something a bit more robust, check them out.

= Mike
DrZiplok is offline Find More Posts by DrZiplok
Old Apr 26, 2010, 09:31 AM
Mini Raven!!
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
Sorry for turning this into a servo thread . Back to where we started then, I'll go with hs-65hb's. Although, , just for future reference there is a nice website that sells their own versions of hs-65mg in analog AND digital. Grayson Hobby. I just think that shipping and handling and such will add up, plus I want to get as much as I can from my lhs .
Thanks for all the input,
Austin
Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:45 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,850 Posts
So..... I would say it is the end of April. When is this thing going to be made available?
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Apr 26, 2010, 06:23 PM
Mini Raven!!
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
Pretty soon it'll be May and they'll still say "due late April"