SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 02, 2010, 11:02 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,761 Posts
Guys,

I am aware of the account of the wing tab breaking off of someone’s Rifle a while back. I haven’t scoured this thread in a while, so I don’t know if there have been any other incidents of this, but I do know from recent posts that some of you are now modifying the system by somehow replacing the tab with a piece of wood. This prompted me to do some additional testing of the tab. As you can see in the photo, the tab is molded in one piece with the wing fairing. For testing, I extracted the wing fairing from a wing, then made a plywood plate to capture the tab. Bracing the tab against a piece of basswood, I had one of my buddies from here in R&D attach a scale to the plywood plate. I held the fairing and plywood plate while my assistant pulled on the scale and noted the readout. The scale maxed out at 75lbs and the tab did not break. Then we kept pulling to break the tab anyway until the plywood plate over the tab finally slipped off. I know I’m simplifying my math here, but this means the tab on even a heavy Rifle at say, 20 oz., can withstand at least 60 Gs. I’m just letting you know this so you don’t have to do all that extra work of cutting into the wing fairing. I’m also wondering if you’re actually weakening the system by gluing in a piece of wood. I know that tab doesn’t look like much, but seems to me that thing is undoubtedly strong enough.

On one of my own Rifles I was flying recently, I did notice that the wing had become a little loose in the saddle. When I removed the wing I noticed that the tab was partially “sawn through.” The cause of this was the cutout in the top of the fuselage that that holds the tab. The plywood former wasn’t all the way back against the cutout in the fiberglass, so the tab was riding only on the thin fiberglass, not the wood. Perhaps this was the cause of the tab failure to the guy in this thread? In any regard, you should inspect your planes to make sure that plywood former is all the way back against the cutout in the fuselage so it will catch the tab.

Tim
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by KRProton; Jul 02, 2010 at 06:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2010, 11:19 AM
Eureka,Ca
Joined Jul 2007
623 Posts
Thanks for the test Tim.
BTW, what A-4 is that in pic #4?
It looks like this one

Tim
_HypnoToad_ is offline Find More Posts by _HypnoToad_
Old Jul 03, 2010, 05:39 PM
Master of Flying Wings......
Joined Jul 2008
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Up View Post
136.50 .... how does a $110 plane become 136.50??? That's a really bad exchange rate combined with some really expensive shipping costs. So glad I don't live in the UK!
for whoever complained about the cost.

If this is from your Local Hobby Shop i can see why it is expensive. just order it here from towerhobbies.com or something......
flyingwing12 is offline Find More Posts by flyingwing12
Old Jul 03, 2010, 09:33 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _HypnoToad_ View Post
Thanks for the test Tim.
BTW, what A-4 is that in pic #4?

Tim
Hey Tim.
That thing's been kicking around the shop for a while now. It's not one of my projects, so I don't know what's goinig on with it. Sorry, I've got nothing for ya.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2010, 04:55 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,782 Posts
Spinners

These spinners fit all of my 3.2mm shafts. The collets run deep so you don't have to cut your motor shafts down. I test fit them on my VIP, Sunracer, and Rifle.

$3.43, can't beat that with a stick.

They are advertsed 3.17mm collet. But they fit my 3.2mm's perfectly, slide right on.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9073
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jul 06, 2010, 08:51 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,761 Posts
johnnyrocco123,

is that HobbyKing spinner shape as 'flat' as it looks? It looks like it's not pointed as much as the spinner that comes with the kit (I mean just for looks). Just curious - might have to get a few my self - I gouged my finger drilling out the stock adapter today. Even used a drill press.

Tim
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2010, 11:24 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
These spinners fit all of my 3.2mm shafts. The collets run deep so you don't have to cut your motor shafts down. I test fit them on my VIP, Sunracer, and Rifle.

$3.43, can't beat that with a stick.

They are advertsed 3.17mm collet. But they fit my 3.2mm's perfectly, slide right on.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9073
The more important question is how do they balance? My one HC 30mm spinner wasn't balanced worth a darn. But by looks alone it appears they have improved their spinner since I got mine....

Kid
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old Jul 07, 2010, 12:43 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,782 Posts
Will be running one on my Sunracer tomorrow...... I'll let you know how they perform.

Proton, they are not as sleek looking as the stock "Rifle" Spinner. But they are cheap and they fit pretty well.

I don't like to cut my motor shafts because I swap my motors around for different apps. Sometimes I need the long shaft. Yeah...... I said it.
Old Jul 07, 2010, 10:35 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jun 2010
118 Posts
go on youtube and type in rifle wing failure, it is cool the guy used an ARC motor in his and the left or right wing failed but the wing looks like foam and a cover but still im going to buy one. this is my first mini hotliner so its worth a try but for $109 I will get 2 of them and fly them till there beet to hell. but this sertialy not my first plane that goes over 100 mph try a vec jet XT that goes the same speed but 3 or 4 inches smaller and spins like a washing machine at 500rpm, sorry i went of topic but what i hear the rifle and evader are suposed to be the best planes they have ever produced so i am going to try this plane and see how it turns out.
Staudacher600 is offline Find More Posts by Staudacher600
Last edited by Staudacher600; Jul 08, 2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old Jul 07, 2010, 10:52 PM
What's that button do?
Hollywood, FL
Joined Feb 2008
1,347 Posts
Just don't expect to make pylon style turns without some reinforcement. It's a great(and fun) plane, you just need to understand it's design limitations. The single wing bolt makes for a very high stress point.

From the looks of that video, the guy was making a pretty sharp, high-G turn.

And IMO, it was pretty irresponsible to fly a plane like this around that traffic and an area where people frequent. Someone easily could have been seriously hurt.
Shpook is offline Find More Posts by Shpook
Old Jul 08, 2010, 01:49 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staudacher600 View Post
go on youtube and type in rifle wing failure, it is cool the guy used an ARC motor in his and the left or right wing failed but it looks like foam and a cover but still im going to buy one. this is my first hotliner so its worth a try but for $109 I get 2 of them and fly them till there beet to hell. but this sertialy not my first plane that goes over 100 mph try a vec jet XT that goes the same speed but 3 or 4 inches smaller and spins like a washing machine at 500rpm, sorry i went of topic but what i hear the rifle and evader are suposed to be the best planes they have ever produced so i am going to try this plane and see how it turns out.
That was my plane, my arc motor. Ha Ha!
Old Jul 08, 2010, 06:40 AM
Annoying people since 1970 :)
United Kingdom, England, Taunton
Joined Nov 2005
1,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwing12 View Post
for whoever complained about the cost.

If this is from your Local Hobby Shop i can see why it is expensive. just order it here from towerhobbies.com or something......
Assuming this item would be classed by customs as a toy then the duty would be zero so with shipping it would work out at around 118 to bring one in if no additional handling charges were applied.
wastegate is offline Find More Posts by wastegate
Last edited by wastegate; Jul 08, 2010 at 06:53 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2010, 11:54 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jun 2010
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
That was my plane, my arc motor. Ha Ha!
really how did the rifle fly till the wing snapped off and plumeted to earth
Old Jul 08, 2010, 11:57 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jun 2010
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shpook View Post
Just don't expect to make pylon style turns without some reinforcement. It's a great(and fun) plane, you just need to understand it's design limitations. The single wing bolt makes for a very high stress point.

From the looks of that video, the guy was making a pretty sharp, high-G turn.

And IMO, it was pretty irresponsible to fly a plane like this around that traffic and an area where people frequent. Someone easily could have been seriously hurt.
i had a plane crash on the highway. it was a siren from GP.
Old Jul 08, 2010, 01:43 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staudacher600 View Post
really how did the rifle fly till the wing snapped off and plumeted to earth
It flew well. I think it needs stronger servos this time around. I used HS-45's previously.

They sent me a replacement airframe, but I haven't put the cf spars in the wing yet. I don't have a motor for it anymore so it will probably sit for a while.

I have a Siren too. I fly it with a 36mm inrunner, direct on 4S, APC 7x5 sport.

It moves!!! but it too is out a motor right now. Too many airframes, not enough motors and servos.

I could fix that by placing an ARC order in the next few weeks. Depends how bored I get this summer.