to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2010, 12:01 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben D Wing View Post
Or spend just 24 on a Slipso 400 short kit and build your own. You'll get the satisfaction of creating something yourself and it will be a lot quicker than the Rifle equiped with a similar power train.
You can buy one here...www.Fine-Flight.com
Im all for creating! however.. The stock Rifle power system pushes the plane to 120 mph. Slipso would not go faster than that on 300w. Rifle is t-tail, moulded, and well airfoiled. A slipso would have to be well crafted to equal the Rifle's dynamics. In real world conditions it is about energy retention through turns and heading on the course, and very few whittled down balsa jobbers are gonna beat a molded t-tail at the 3-600 watt level.
With that said, I want one of those short kits so I can do a light carbon/glass/paint, possible t-tail slip of my own. I may bless it with a neu 1105 having put up with all that sanding dust!
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Build Service
Old Jun 26, 2010, 01:45 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,565 Posts
I received a response from Hobby Services. It loks like they are going to replace my Rifle whenever it becomes available.

I don't anticipate it being equipped with a wing spar "v2". But I will definitely make the wing mods this time around.

Until then, I have a 1700w Mega setup to try out in a stryker, Yippee!
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jun 27, 2010, 08:03 AM
Vertical Unlimited
Mandurah, Western Australia
Joined Mar 2007
498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastegate View Post
Edit: 136.50 I'd rather spend 13.50 more and get a proper pylon racer like the Sunracer!
136.50 .... how does a $110 plane become 136.50??? That's a really bad exchange rate combined with some really expensive shipping costs. So glad I don't live in the UK!
Straight Up is offline Find More Posts by Straight Up
Old Jun 27, 2010, 08:53 AM
Annoying people since 1970 :)
United Kingdom, England, Taunton
Joined Nov 2005
1,676 Posts
Yes it's rediculous and pretty much pointless at that price!
How $110 becomes 136.50 which is equivalent to $205 is beyond most sane people!
wastegate is online now Find More Posts by wastegate
Last edited by wastegate; Jun 29, 2010 at 03:35 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 06:52 PM
Master of Flying Wings......
Joined Jul 2008
492 Posts
whats a slipso???
flyingwing12 is offline Find More Posts by flyingwing12
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:02 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwing12 View Post
whats a slipso???
A very nice all wooden Speed 400 class pylon racer; Google it.
Ben D Wing is offline Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Old Jun 29, 2010, 01:59 PM
buffalo NY
Joined May 2010
8 Posts
alright so im tryin to balance these props but i think the props are not heavy enough for my balance shaft that the prop sits on The shaft is like 3 to 5 times heavier than the prop
i can't see not balancing the props the rpm achieved has gotta be in the high 20's to 30,000 I've never had to balance such a small prop before so if you guys have any tips that would be great since i got my rifle coming tomorrow and hopefully a maiden flight this weekend
airplanenut1 is offline Find More Posts by airplanenut1
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:17 AM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,060 Posts
I think a great planes magnetic balancer is a must. I would not recommend changing the blades (sanding or adding tape), instead add a small bead of med ca to the light side hub inside where the spinner fits..use accelerator when you achieve balance. If it takes a large amount, discard the prop and start over. Double and triple check, changing sides to make sure its correct.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:48 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,681 Posts
Agreed on the magnetic balancer, but I've not had any trouble using Scotch Diamond tape for balancing the blades. In the unlikely event of the tape becoming tatty at the edges and starting to lift (the prop usually breaks first!) it's easy enough to peel off and start over.
Ben D Wing is offline Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Old Jun 30, 2010, 05:13 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,060 Posts
Ive just been worried about the thickness of the tape on these tiny props effecting dynamics.. thats why i have used glue on the non-working inside portion of the prop. I heard the #1 cause for any apc prop to not balance is the center NOT CENTERED. Go to DUB JETT's site and he has a discussion and the conclusion for high rpm racing is that if it falls hard to one blade, throw it away. He also sold an adaptor that helped fix this. Ive been known to "swap" them at the LHS.. or even better, bring the balancer and check on the spot BEFORE buying. (the q40 and q500 props cost more)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2010, 05:17 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
I received a response from Hobby Services. It loks like they are going to replace my Rifle whenever it becomes available.

I don't anticipate it being equipped with a wing spar "v2". But I will definitely make the wing mods this time around.

Until then, I have a 1700w Mega setup to try out in a stryker, Yippee!
thats good! but its kinda sad to think they wouldnt update the plane..
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2010, 06:09 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,565 Posts
Well I just received the replacement Rifle airframe in the mail today.

So.... time to beef up that wing.

What size CF strips did you guys use in the wing? Also, what were you guys replacing the wing tab with?
Old Jul 01, 2010, 08:39 AM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Well I just received the replacement Rifle airframe in the mail today.

So.... time to beef up that wing.

What size CF strips did you guys use in the wing? Also, what were you guys replacing the wing tab with?

Johnny,

I used Midwest Carbon Fiber Strips, Stock #5742. They are 1.4mm x 4.5mm comes in a bag of 2 strips of 610mm each. The are the rectangular strips. I found this to be the perfect size and with the amount of flight under her with some intense pylon turns, she has help up more than great. The wing tab I replaced with Basswood. Hope this helps! Get er' flying!

Pete
volcomsnows2k is offline Find More Posts by volcomsnows2k
Old Jul 01, 2010, 12:21 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by volcomsnows2k View Post
Johnny,

I used Midwest Carbon Fiber Strips, Stock #5742. They are 1.4mm x 4.5mm comes in a bag of 2 strips of 610mm each. The are the rectangular strips. I found this to be the perfect size and with the amount of flight under her with some intense pylon turns, she has help up more than great. The wing tab I replaced with Basswood. Hope this helps! Get er' flying!

Pete
Thanks Pete.