HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2010, 03:48 PM
Mini Raven!!
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRProton View Post
Unfortunately, there wasn't much flying footage.
Yea, I'd like to see some full circuits around the field, not two second passes! And I am still wondering how a 4.75x4.75 isn't smoking the stock motor?
austinman is offline Find More Posts by austinman
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2010, 05:07 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,636 Posts
That's amazing! That's going to be a step up for me. My fastest plane right now is a Funjet going up to 89 mph (using an Ammo 24-33-3500 kv with a 4.75x4 prop). Mine draws around 27 amps static. In flight it's probably lower.

Your getting over 30 mph more than me with probably less amps. Goes to show you how much more slippery this plane is over the Funjet.

What kind of amp draw are you seeing on that motor?
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Apr 13, 2010, 06:11 PM
Mini Raven!!
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
The stock motor is the 24-33-3180 which has a burst current of 20 amps, but on the neu motor calculator (I know its not super accurate) with a 4.75x4.75 on 3s it says 31 amps static! That motor should not be able to handle that! Maybe it is really drawing less for some reason?
austinman is offline Find More Posts by austinman
Old Apr 13, 2010, 09:41 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,864 Posts
I'll shoot you guys a reply in a few minutes. Right now I'm being called for dinner. Ribs!!!
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:24 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,864 Posts
Okay, I looked back into my log book today to find some of the numbers I recorded. Max. initial current on the recommended 3S battery was like 22--25A with the APC 4.75 x 4.75. It spun around 19,000rpm as I recall (I'm writing this from home right now). But this was the initial, max. current. It drops pretty quickly immediately after throttle up. Also, the motor unloads some in the air. Additionally, you're not flying this thing around with the throttle pegged--usually you shut it down in the turnaround. And with the recommended battery (I forget the size now--like 1500, right?) motor run time even at full-throttle is around four minutes which shouldn't be long enough to cook the motor even if you DID fly full-throttle the whole flight. Finally, there will be at least some air cooling during flight. We flew several prototypes with the Ammo motor and never cooked one.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 14, 2010, 02:04 AM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,100 Posts
Quote:
(to me, the word "claim" seems to have a negative connotation).
I understand but it wasnt used in a negative way. I used claim because you didn't get the upwind and down wind speed averaged to an "official" speed. Just one of those things I guess. But none the less I am very impressed with what I am seeing of this plane so far.
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Rocket Crash
Old Apr 14, 2010, 02:04 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,390 Posts
Any chance of getting a 3.2mm collet for the stock spinner included with the kit? Be nice to use the stock spinner, but im not so fussed on the Ammo motors and the majority of 24-28mm inrunners use 3.2mm collets.
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Apr 14, 2010, 08:27 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalspark View Post
I understand but it wasnt used in a negative way. I used claim because you didn't get the upwind and down wind speed averaged to an "official" speed. Just one of those things I guess. But none the less I am very impressed with what I am seeing of this plane so far.
No sweat verticalspark. It's all good.

Our 90mph advertised speed was averaged upwind and downwind passes--it's legit. What you saw in the video was...what you saw in the video; they captured a few passes and apparently that was the one they decided to include in the clip.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 14, 2010, 08:29 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
Any chance of getting a 3.2mm collet for the stock spinner included with the kit? Be nice to use the stock spinner, but im not so fussed on the Ammo motors and the majority of 24-28mm inrunners use 3.2mm collets.
I'll look into the spinner situation. I think I already addressed this previously--not sure. You can always use the Tru-Turn spinner that's the same size. I'll dig up a part number and/or a link later.

Tim
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 14, 2010, 08:38 AM
Annoying people since 1970 :)
United Kingdom, England, Taunton
Joined Nov 2005
1,677 Posts
Will the Rifle be available in the UK?
wastegate is offline Find More Posts by wastegate
Old Apr 14, 2010, 08:53 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,864 Posts
This spinner can be used if using a motor with a 3.2mm dia. motor shaft:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNDW4&P=7
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 14, 2010, 07:51 PM
CERTIFIED LIPO PUFFER
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jan 2008
276 Posts
Quote:
This spinner can be used if using a motor with a 3.2mm dia. motor shaft:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNDW4&P=7
beautiful spinner and all. although at $23, if my math is correct, it's like 20% the price of the Riffle.
However, if a 3.2 mm collet is included w/ the Riffle, if my math is correct, it's like 0% the price of the Riffle.
8ballfever is offline Find More Posts by 8ballfever
Old Apr 14, 2010, 08:35 PM
Muscle Shoals, Al.
Joined Oct 2004
330 Posts
I gotta have one !!!!!!
kissfan is offline Find More Posts by kissfan
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:57 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,851 Posts
Yep, for the price this is looking worth it. I will definitely need to get a 28mm motor in there though.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:04 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballfever View Post
beautiful spinner and all. although at $23, if my math is correct, it's like 20% the price of the Riffle.
However, if a 3.2 mm collet is included w/ the Riffle, if my math is correct, it's like 0% the price of the Riffle.
Nicely said (written). I like the way you think.

Dumb question though; Couldn't you jamb a collet for a 3.0mm shaft onto a 3.2mm shaft? Maybe I'll just try it my self.
RCG Plus Member