HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2010, 01:07 AM
Permission to buzz the tower?
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Nov 2007
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Sorry to hear that. Don't ever use an AR6100e inside an airframe again unless you at least run the little antennas out the fuse.

I learned about them the hard way. I have lost three planes due to that receiver. I only use them on profiles and scratch foamies, on the outside now. They work fine in those apps. You will hear people using them inside fuses, it's just a matter of time. It usually happens when the plane is facing you, nose in. Crash!!!
You'd maybe say the same for the AR6000 which is what I'm using, except that you can make sure that the two antennae are at right angles to each other.
They say don't put them inside CF, but this plane isn't that.
ds-fifty is offline Find More Posts by ds-fifty
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2010, 08:38 AM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Sorry to hear that. Don't ever use an AR6100e inside an airframe again unless you at least run the little antennas out the fuse.

I learned about them the hard way. I have lost three planes due to that receiver. I only use them on profiles and scratch foamies, on the outside now. They work fine in those apps. You will hear people using them inside fuses, it's just a matter of time. It usually happens when the plane is facing you, nose in. Crash!!!
Thanks and point taken. I really like the way the Rifle flies once all the bugs are worked out. I may pick up a second Rifle. I guess I will have to use a AR6200 full range this time. I never have had an issue with the 6100 or 6110. My only experience was back when the AR6100 were the first productions and I had black outs on my Trex450SE. Since they went to V1.2 then V1.6, I have had no issues. Also the RX in my Rifle was the new model AR6110E. Suppose to be better than the previous 6100's. Anyways I learned my lesson there. Fiberglass fuse and parkflier 2.4RX is not a good combo... especially at that speed.

Happy Flying!

Pete
volcomsnows2k is online now Find More Posts by volcomsnows2k
Old Jun 22, 2010, 08:56 AM
Vertical Unlimited
Mandurah, Western Australia
Joined Mar 2007
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driggs View Post
would a align 430L 3550kv motor work in this plane? im thinking of getting a rilfle and i have one of these motors in my junk
I disagree with Volcoms... my Align 430L DOES fit my Rifle. I had one left over from a T-Rex kit. First test on an APCe 4.7x4.7 with a 2200mAh 3S yielded over 600W (not kidding). I'm about to try a 4.1x4.1.
Straight Up is offline Find More Posts by Straight Up
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:31 AM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Up View Post
I disagree with Volcoms... my Align 430L DOES fit my Rifle. I had one left over from a T-Rex kit. First test on an APCe 4.7x4.7 with a 2200mAh 3S yielded over 600W (not kidding). I'm about to try a 4.1x4.1.
How did you get it to fit? The can diameter is quite a bit larger than the 24-33-3180kv from Ammo? Maybe I missed something... Or the 430L is a different can size than the 430XL? I remember them being the same in size.. if you got it to fit SWEET! I apologize for the wrong info provided.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:36 AM
What's that button do?
Hollywood, FL
Joined Feb 2008
1,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by volcomsnows2k View Post
How did you get it to fit? The can diameter is quite a bit larger than the 24-33-3180kv from Ammo? Maybe I missed something... Or the 430L is a different can size than the 430XL? I remember them being the same in size.. if you got it to fit SWEET! I apologize for the wrong info provided.
A 28mm motor will fit very nicely in there. I bet you have about 32-34mm of clearance max.
Shpook is offline Find More Posts by Shpook
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:10 PM
USA, FL,
Joined Dec 2008
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Up View Post
let us know how that does with the other prop, i think the align is rated at 300 watts, i was wondering what prop i would use to keep it close to specs
Driggs is offline Find More Posts by Driggs
Old Jun 22, 2010, 01:05 PM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shpook View Post
A 28mm motor will fit very nicely in there. I bet you have about 32-34mm of clearance max.
Wow sweet! I am like 5 Align 430XL's! Woo Hoo!
Old Jun 22, 2010, 02:36 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by volcomsnows2k View Post
Thanks and point taken. I really like the way the Rifle flies once all the bugs are worked out. I may pick up a second Rifle. I guess I will have to use a AR6200 full range this time. I never have had an issue with the 6100 or 6110. My only experience was back when the AR6100 were the first productions and I had black outs on my Trex450SE. Since they went to V1.2 then V1.6, I have had no issues. Also the RX in my Rifle was the new model AR6110E. Suppose to be better than the previous 6100's. Anyways I learned my lesson there. Fiberglass fuse and parkflier 2.4RX is not a good combo... especially at that speed.

Happy Flying!

Pete
Yeah, those AR6100 and AR6110E only have one receiver in them. (they just have it receiving from two channels and switching back and forth).

The AR6200 have 2 receivers. Even the AR6000 (predecessor) has 2 separate receivers in that one package which is why they are more reliable than the AR6100/6110E.

Not sure about the AR500 but from the reports I've seen, this receivers seems to work as well as the AR6200...
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Jun 22, 2010, 10:10 PM
Joined Nov 2007
93 Posts
Just an update on my experience...
I've gone well past the 4 flight maximum that others have experienced. I followed the CF spar suggestions and the wing tab suggestion and each time it lands in 2 inch grass, it's as new. (minus a prop or two)

For someone like me who has never seen a model go this fast let alone flown one, it is something else. I have the trembles for 20 min after each flight!

Today was the first day I put more than one pack through it. Previous times, I've still been shaking (no joke!) so I didn't think I should fly! This time I flew a foamie trainer around for 10 min just to calm down, then gave it another shot. That was 40 min ago, and I'm still peaking.

I love this plane!

I have a balsa Yak 54, a GP Combat Corsair and a MiniPulse XT, all of which I love, but this plane.... Whew!

I launch it at 30deg up and about 60% throttle (thanks to whoever suggested that.) Aussies fly mode one, so my left hand is on the elevator, my chin sets the throttle to 60%, I throw firmly, but not too hard with my right hand, slightly right to the wind, which balances the torque roll. By the time it gets speed up, my throwing hand is onto the aileron stick. Hand launches are working well now. I do loops, circuits and tight-ish turns, but not crazy stuff. Maybe later as I get skills. When I do a pass and then climb followed by a slower, tight right into a dive, the speed out of that is amazing!

A special mention has to be made to all those who have lost planes so that we could make the mods required. Your ultimate sacrifice was not in vain!
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:01 PM
What's that button do?
Hollywood, FL
Joined Feb 2008
1,347 Posts
I have to agree ds-fifty, I get the shakes every time I fly this thing. It's not so much the speed, as the size and speed.

I've flown 7 or so packs through mine, which is completely unmodified, without a problem. I did cartwheel on a landing, which tweaked the fuse a tad, but didn't weaken it. I do make sharp-ish turns at WOT, but most of the time I fly it like a Porsche. (Slow in, full power out)

And yes, whoever suggested the launching technique of 60% throttle and a 30 degree angle, thank you. Absolutely perfect launches every time.
Shpook is offline Find More Posts by Shpook
Old Jun 24, 2010, 12:36 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
3,078 Posts
Enjoy the value of this nice machine! Plenty will compare it to planes twice the size and 6times the cost; but there's no comparisson in this price range. Finally saw one in person.... It's not an F5D pylon racer, it is a parkflying pylon ship that flat out rocks!

And for the crazies out there, I propose the following: keep it light with a 3s 1300-sh batt and use that long nose to make it a a superlight microF5B with a folder!

I'm thinking Models Motors Mini Extreme on 3s.........now that would be cool!

zoom zoom zoom
epwierman is offline Find More Posts by epwierman
Last edited by epwierman; Jun 24, 2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:18 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,699 Posts
I haven't been staying up-to-date with this thread, but here goes...

I just read the last few accounts of pilots who aren't used to this type of speed (in combination with the size). I think you are on to something. Try this (I have); 24-33-2500kV motor, 1300mAh battery (lighter than recommended 1500), and 4.5 x 4.1 prop. This is a great sport combo that will still yield 90mph, but is not so "stupid" fast that you cannot keep up with it (she still gets small pretty fast). It'll also be lighter for easier launches, landings, general flying overall. Additionally, intermediate pilots with no pylon experience should have no trouble flying it with the throttle pegged the whole flight. It's still fast, but shouldn't leave you shaking in your boots after each flight.

Also, if you need more room in the cabin under the wing, you can enlarge the air exit hole on top of the wing aft of the fuse allowing your Rx to pass for mounting it back there (on strips of 1/8" double-sided foam mounting tape that straddle that fiberglass "rope" over the seam on the bottom of the fuse). For anybody who'se plane is nose-heavy, this will help too.

Tim
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
Old Jun 25, 2010, 04:10 AM
Joined Nov 2007
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRProton View Post
It's still fast, but shouldn't leave you shaking in your boots after each flight.
But I like the shaking!!!!
Old Jun 25, 2010, 04:51 AM
Current project: Electrolyte
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRProton View Post
I haven't been staying up-to-date with this thread, but here goes...

I just read the last few accounts of pilots who aren't used to this type of speed (in combination with the size). I think you are on to something. Try this (I have); 24-33-2500kV motor, 1300mAh battery (lighter than recommended 1500), and 4.5 x 4.1 prop. This is a great sport combo that will still yield 90mph, but is not so "stupid" fast that you cannot keep up with it (she still gets small pretty fast). It'll also be lighter for easier launches, landings, general flying overall. Additionally, intermediate pilots with no pylon experience should have no trouble flying it with the throttle pegged the whole flight. It's still fast, but shouldn't leave you shaking in your boots after each flight.

Also, if you need more room in the cabin under the wing, you can enlarge the air exit hole on top of the wing aft of the fuse allowing your Rx to pass for mounting it back there (on strips of 1/8" double-sided foam mounting tape that straddle that fiberglass "rope" over the seam on the bottom of the fuse). For anybody who'se plane is nose-heavy, this will help too.

Tim

2 paragraphs and no acknowledgement of the obviously inadequate spar. Thats what we care to hear a response to...everything else is fluff. Sounds like the BP congressional hearing. .
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Jun 25, 2010, 05:53 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,224 Posts
Gotta have a spar for it too be inadequate Pdawg

Im looking forward to the V2 Rifle, with a better wing and less paint.
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister