SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 19, 2010, 02:16 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,111 Posts
Well thanks for the info Ben. i am still hoping that they will fix the rifle. I am a couple of months out from buying a pylon racer and I really like the rifle but im not to happy with the reports thus far
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shooting my AR pistol
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2010, 06:11 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,507 Posts
Quote:
I would not think a wing folding on a plane in which the weight limit of the plane has been exceeded by 70 percent to be a failure of the wing.
IMHO: Anything coin'd as a "Pylon Racer" really need to hold a 10g turn.

Try a SunRacer
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 20, 2010, 01:06 PM
What's that button do?
Hollywood, FL
Joined Feb 2008
1,347 Posts
Took my overweight rifle out again today. Got her perfectly trimmed, and flew about 5 packs through her.

Man, she screams. I'm still using a 5.5x4.5 prop, but next weekend I'll move to a 4.75x4.75, and then possibly a 5.5x6.5 if my motor can handle it.

I gotta say, it's still a tough little plane. Granted, I'm not taking pylon style turns, but still sharp turns at WOT. No signs of stress anywhere...yet at least. I did cartwheel it on one landing, and tweaked the fuse just behind the wing saddle, but I think it's just cracked paint. Have to check closer.

Man, I can't get over the sound of the thing passing by at WOT...
Shpook is offline Find More Posts by Shpook
Old Jun 20, 2010, 03:35 PM
Annoying people since 1970 :)
United Kingdom, England, Taunton
Joined Nov 2005
1,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben D Wing View Post
The Weapon 400? I still have one unbuilt and there's a good reason too. The glass fuz is of shockingly poor quality with all the strength of an egg shell at the nose and built like a Panzer tank at the tail. The colour is just sprayed on top of the uneven molding and looks aweful. The servo mount inside the fuz comes glued out of line, the servo snake outer is too short, the wing whilst appearing strong is poorly built and covered, and the ready installed wing mounting plate and bolt hole are any which way! I like the metal motor mount and it's a perfect size plane for a Mega 16/15/3 and 2200mAh 3s LiPo, but from what I've seen at my LHS the Rifle appears infinitely better made.
I have started some repair work on the Weapon's fuz, but too be honest I've lost the will to try and make a silk purse from a sow's ear! The addage 'You only get what you pay for' has never been truer with the Weapon 400!
Save your money folks and don't buy one.
Sorry, rant over.
Ben, you forgot to mention that it's an absolute swine to launch!
wastegate is offline Find More Posts by wastegate
Old Jun 20, 2010, 03:58 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
3,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastegate View Post
Ben, you forgot to mention that it's an absolute swine to launch!

I haven't got that far with it yet, but when I do it might get launched right into the dumpster!
Ben D Wing is offline Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Old Jun 20, 2010, 04:53 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,401 Posts
Haha, I said *cheap* speed 400 pylon racer, not nice speed 400 pylon
jackosmeister is offline Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Jun 20, 2010, 09:31 PM
Permission to buzz the tower?
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Nov 2007
97 Posts
This might sound like a dumb question, but is there any reason why I can't put a folding prop on this Rifle? Do they make them as small as 4.5x4.5? I keep breaking props on landing.
I'm using the 28mm 3900kv HobbyCity motor.

PS> Some of you guys are talking as if this plane should be called the ROFLe! (That was a joke )
ds-fifty is offline Find More Posts by ds-fifty
Old Jun 20, 2010, 11:02 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ds-fifty View Post
This might sound like a dumb question, but is there any reason why I can't put a folding prop on this Rifle? Do they make them as small as 4.5x4.5? I keep breaking props on landing.
I'm using the 28mm 3900kv HobbyCity motor.

PS> Some of you guys are talking as if this plane should be called the ROFLe! (That was a joke )
Set your brake on your esc, brake on final approach and look to see if your prop is parallel with the ground. If not, fly around and try it again. If it is parallel with ground or close, land. It works, that's how I do all my pylons.

They will break from time to time, but that comes with the territory.

Forget folder that size. Can't take the rpm's and inefficient.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jun 20, 2010, 11:37 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,781 Posts
Quote:
IMHO: Anything coin'd as a "Pylon Racer" really need to hold a 10g turn.
Having read the assembly manual on the Rifle, I do not believe the term "pylon racer" is used any place in it? Unless I missed it.

Well, it does use the term in connection with the recommended 4.75x4.75 APC prop
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2010, 12:06 AM
Chillaxin dude!
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
4,813 Posts
hmmm, we had 3 weapons, all fitted with the same power system & I thought they were nice flyers, not bad at all to launch. It was pretty cool having all three zipping around an imaginary course all together. Sadly two have met their demise (both due to pilot error)...
BulletMaster is offline Find More Posts by BulletMaster
Old Jun 21, 2010, 04:03 AM
Permission to buzz the tower?
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Nov 2007
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Set your brake on your esc, brake on final approach and look to see if your prop is parallel with the ground. If not, fly around and try it again. If it is parallel with ground or close, land. It works, that's how I do all my pylons.

They will break from time to time, but that comes with the territory.

Forget folder that size. Can't take the rpm's and inefficient.
Sounds simple, I'll give it a try. I left the brake off thinking it would help slow this slippery sucker down.
ds-fifty is offline Find More Posts by ds-fifty
Old Jun 21, 2010, 03:52 PM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,837 Posts
Well, my Rifle is no longer as of yesterday. 3 minutes into my flight, I was giving myself hair cuts, I lost all control and smacked a concrete wall at over 100 mph She impacted on the bottom of the fuselage and surprisingly, main wings are fine. I'm not going to rebuild her. After diagnosing the issue, the loss of control is contributed to my AR6110E loosing connection. Go figure.
volcomsnows2k is online now Find More Posts by volcomsnows2k
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2010, 04:01 PM
USA, FL,
Joined Dec 2008
329 Posts
would a align 430L 3550kv motor work in this plane? im thinking of getting a rilfle and i have one of these motors in my junk
Driggs is offline Find More Posts by Driggs
Old Jun 21, 2010, 05:05 PM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driggs View Post
would a align 430L 3550kv motor work in this plane? im thinking of getting a rilfle and i have one of these motors in my junk
Nope it will not. The motor can diameter is too large. The 430L and 430XL works AWESOME on a Parkzone Stryker!
volcomsnows2k is online now Find More Posts by volcomsnows2k
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2010, 10:22 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by volcomsnows2k View Post
Well, my Rifle is no longer as of yesterday. 3 minutes into my flight, I was giving myself hair cuts, I lost all control and smacked a concrete wall at over 100 mph She impacted on the bottom of the fuselage and surprisingly, main wings are fine. I'm not going to rebuild her. After diagnosing the issue, the loss of control is contributed to my AR6110E loosing connection. Go figure.
Sorry to hear that. Don't ever use an AR6100e inside an airframe again unless you at least run the little antennas out the fuse.

I learned about them the hard way. I have lost three planes due to that receiver. I only use them on profiles and scratch foamies, on the outside now. They work fine in those apps. You will hear people using them inside fuses, it's just a matter of time. It usually happens when the plane is facing you, nose in. Crash!!!
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123